California sports writer of the year discusses 49ers + ....

Jville

Reaction score
Ann Killian named California sports writer of the year.

Topics include:

Why she became a sportswriter
The glorious world of social media (and trolls!)
How journalism has changed over the years
The 49ers’ search for coaches
How much control Jed York really has
Levi’s Stadium’s *interesting* debut season
Karma in sports

Link >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/basgcast-ep-124-ann-killion-on-journalism-and-the-49ers/[/urltargetblank]

Pod Cast audio window >>>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/?powerpress_pinw=61620-podcast[/urltargetblank]

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3hzyjlqi said:
Haha... Been hearing all season how bad she is

LOL .... She does possess the credentials and depth of experience. Those self proclaimed critics we have seen troll thru here don't.

Welcomed insight on current state and evolution of sports journalism. :th2thumbs:

Popeyejones

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3ev65r08 said:

FWIW until the Ray McDonald thing I don't think most people had really heard of her, or thought one way or the other about her. She ended up being very wrong about that (although admittedly in a way that almost everyone was, and I guess vindicated to some degree in the end in that he kept on bring negative attention to the team), but that's what it was all about IMO.

Seems like this org rewards columnists rather than reporters though (Peter King won sportswriter of the year from them last year :lol: ), so it's a much narrower pool (and my massive bias for beat reporters over columnists is obviously showing here too :D ).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3uyghs0l said:
-The Glove-":3uyghs0l said:

FWIW until the Ray McDonald thing I don't think most people had really heard of her, or thought one way or the other about her. She ended up being very wrong about that (although admittedly in a way that almost everyone was, and I guess vindicated to some degree in the end in that he kept on bring negative attention to the team), but that's what it was all about IMO.

Seems like this org rewards columnists rather than reporters though (Peter King won sportswriter of the year from them last year :lol: ), so it's a much narrower pool (and my massive bias for beat reporters over columnists is obviously showing here too :D ).
So you are saying she is not on yours or Melvin's "approved sports writers list"? 8)

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
I think there are polarizing teams in the NFL. It is reflected by polarized audiences via text, video and internet. Visitors to seahawks.net, from those polarized cultures, bring their allegiances with them. For me, those visitors have been instructive in ways they never intended.

Seahawks everywhere are fortunate to benefit from a very open team culture as led by Paul, Pete, John and the multitude of so many who have bought in.

Perhaps, the best way to keep seahawks.net an open resource is to make a point of posting the work of those that aligned loyalist from polarized cultures feel compelled to shout down. Doing so, broadens our view of other cultures and strikes a blow against censorship and attempts to channel information and manufacture images and illusions.

With regards to the interview, the insight into a rather conflicted Bay Area environment is instructive. I find it useful and worth a second listen.

Go Hawks!

rigelian

Reaction score
Popeyejones":191qfx6f said:
-The Glove-":191qfx6f said:

Beat writers have a difficult problem. They need day to day access and form close relationships with the principles. That close relationship tends to keep them from writing critical articles about the home team. I have no doubt that many of the stories explored by the columnists are stories passed to the columnists by beat writers.