Jed York isn’t in mood to protect Kaepernick investment

Jville

Reaction score
NFL network gave Jed York more face time during Superbowl week. I watched and listened. And, it seems to me that Jed York has a long way to go toward working down his learning curve as an owner. Below is a link to one article that reflects on York's face time.

Jed York isn’t in a mood to protect team’s investment in Colin Kaepernick >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jed-york-isnt-in-a-mood-to-protect-teams-investment-in-colin-kaepernick/[/urltargetblank]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
York and Baalke keep talking about offensive and defensive philosophies as if they are going to be the ones dictating it. Shocking... Tomsula is obviously a figurehead for the York/Baalke show.

Interesting that York explicitly favors the simplicity of Seattle's offense/defense over the mad scientist approach of Harbaugh's staff. Has he picked the right coaches to develop the players, though? That's the key.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
York basically basically bowing down to Carroll here:

You look at Seattle. They have a fairly simple philosophy on both sides of the ball. They let their players make plays. There’s something to be said for that. And I think you’re going to see a lot of that from us. You’re going to see a lot of intensity, a lot of competition — but put our players in position to make plays.”

chris98251

Reaction score
They have been assimilated, Carroll has destroyed them from the inside, and on the field. The problem with his theory is you have to have the football acumen to execute it, York and Baalke do not.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Hired Tomsula hoping they can fire him in 2016 and coax Carroll away? j/k but wow, may as well have said "we want to be Seattle".

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I don't know what's more incredible: what envy can do to a man or what an envious man can do to others when he has so much more power than skill. They're in so much trouble down there.

mikeak

Reaction score
DavidSeven":boetlolh said:
York basically basically bowing down to Carroll here:

You look at Seattle. They have a fairly simple philosophy on both sides of the ball. They let their players make plays. There’s something to be said for that. And I think you’re going to see a lot of that from us. You’re going to see a lot of intensity, a lot of competition — but put our players in position to make plays.”

I thought that is what they did. The put Kaepernick in a position to throw the football and he threw interceptions....

On a serious note so they are going to a running Kaep offense now. Will work until he gets smacked around. The RG3 offense doesn't work in the long run. A few runs like Seattle and Miami works great - on a consistent basis it will equal injuries.

I remember NC State - RWs rookie year. Came back from injuries and dominated Rutgers in the first half. Then run after run and there was the big hit. We lost the game in second with RW out...

Marvin49

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the Niners ran a similar offense to what Jed is referring to when Kap took over in 2012, right.

As hard as this might be to believe, Seattle didn't invent the idea of a running QB.

As for getting hurt, that's always possible, but both Kap and Wilson have shown the ability to do something RGIII can't... Be smart about protecting themselves.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":db67cz7q said:
NFL network gave Jed York more face time during Superbowl week. I watched and listened. And, it seems to me that Jed York has a long way to go toward working down his learning curve as an owner. Below is a link to one article that reflects on York's face time.

Jed York isn’t in a mood to protect team’s investment in Colin Kaepernick >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jed-york-isnt-in-a-mood-to-protect-teams-investment-in-colin-kaepernick/[/urltargetblank]

I Likw BASG, but that's a pretty sillly post, the Kaepernick and Wilson comparison in particular.

Looking at rushing yards and TDs don't tell you anything about running Kaep more or less, you need to look at rush attempts and things like ypc and td rate over time.

Wilson had 118 attempts, Kaep had 104. That the difference between the teams is less than one rushing attempt a game by the QBs doesn't make for a good argument, so he ignores it.

Rather, he looks at Wilson's 849 rushing yards and 6 tds compared to Kaep's 639 rushing yards and 1 td. That looks great, but Wilson's numbers (he had a wonderful season rushing the ball) are an outlier (even for him), not a baseline comparison.

Wilson went from averaging 5.4 YPC and 2.5 rushing TDs a year to 7.2 YPC and 6 TDs. It's an outlier year this year.

For Kaep he averaged 6 YPC (as he averaged across the previous two years) but his rushing TDs dropped from a 4.5 average to 1, also probably an outlier year.

Long story short, I don't think the "problem" with the 9ers is that Wilson had a magnificent year running the ball.

I also think he's reading way too much into Jed's comments, but that's another post.

drdiags

Reaction score
I agree with the idea of letting Kaep play the style he plays in the playoffs. He has destroyed the Packers with this and in last year's NFCCG was giving the Seahawks fits with him escaping out of the pocket. We all know the flow of the game leading to "The Tip".

If that is the style of play the 9ers want to promote all year, I think Kaep will be able to survive that style. I haven't seen him get blown up with his dashes from the pocket, and with 55 sacks this year it seems they should remove some of the coaching points that had him wanting to stick it out in the pocket.

I would want my QB to eventually be a deadly pocket passer but while they are young and can survive the defenses set up to contain them, go for it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
A runner is what Kaepernick is. Letting him play off that is the right thing. If it proves to be too much, and he gets hurt, he has an easy cut contract that he probably should not have signed as it is.

The owner is still an entitled little prick, but not every decision he makes is totally stupid. However, before hanging the lack of Kaep running on Harbaugh, which is what Baalke and York ar eding right now, remember who went and got all the wide receivers for Kaepernick last year. Baalke.

York is an owner talking about stuff he was told by Baalke. He is relying on a guy he thinks knows football, which is his real mistake.

Rat

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":1jh0faqc said:
York is calling Boldin and Gore Hall-Of-Famers? I beg to differ.
I'd normally agree with you, but Bettis lowered the bar for what is considered HOF worthy.

chris98251

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":anady53x said:
York is calling Boldin and Gore Hall-Of-Famers? I beg to differ.

You said York, that's enough to disqualify anything right there.