Comparing Harvin's Production (Seahawks/Jets)

Ranker777

Reaction score
W/ Seattle: 5 games 22 Rec 133 YDS 6.0 Ave 0 TD 20+ (1) 40+ (0)
11 Att. 92 YDS 8.4 Ave 1 TD 51 (lg)

W/ NYJ: 8 games 29 Rec 350 YDS 12.1 Ave 1 TD 20+ (5) 40+ (2)
22 Att. 110 YDS 5.0 Ave 0 TD 13 (lg)

Contributing Factors-

Seattle: Wilson/ Lynch
NYJ: Smith & Vick/ Ivory & Johnson

Not to make you guys feel worse (although it just might); as an outsider without any rooting interest, the above comparison could be considered worrisome when you look at utilizing your talent on the offensive side of the ball, mainly the WR position.

The Jets, Offensive DVOA of 25th, with Smith & Vick throwing to him, were able to double Harvin's yards per game average.

The Seahawks, Offensive DVOA of 5th, with Wilson throwing and Lynch in the backfield, only averaged 6.0 yards per game and only 1 catch over 20 yards.

I know Bevell is taking a lot of heat here but this falls squarely on him. Even with Wilson's athletic ability and his strengths in the passing game, Bevell and the rest of the offensive staff have a tough time utilizing playmakers in the passing game. The Jets did a better job with less talent.

JMHO

Uncle Si

Reaction score
so, we didnt throw the ball deep to Harvin? that somehow correlates to the Jets doing a better job?

Followthelegion

Reaction score
You are falling into the trap of small sample sizes I'm afraid.

For instance, he had 3 lengthy TDs against Washington chalked off for penalties.....

I vaguely agree with the premise that Seattle struggled to utilise him in 2014/15 season. But you should include his limited 2013/14 touches if you are trying to compare yards.

Jets offense was always going to focus on him, given what they are working with. We tried to force him to be a focus which was counter-productive, I don't blame Bevell for this one, just is not our identity.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
First of all, the Jets have better WR talent, which means less keying on Harvin specifically. Secondly, he did nothing there besides have a couple huge outlier games. He had multiple games with NYJ where he was absolutely invisible. And he had the same issues there that he's had his entire career -- a poor ability to track deep throws. He got lucky a few times -- that's bound to happen with his speed and good hands, but he also got his QBs in trouble by failing to play defense against deep INTs. I watched many of his games with NYJ, and they used him on the same gadget nonsense that every team has had to use him in. IMO, on plays where he is playing outside and sent deep, they are wasting opps that are better suited for Decker, Kerley, etc.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Personally I think his stats look horrible on both teams. I also watched Jet games and saw multiple INTs that were thrown his way. Also, I highly doubt any Seahawk fan gives a crap about Harvin now or earlier in the season. Its over and I don't really care what he does at this point. Our offense got better once he left.

OP
OP
R

Ranker777

Reaction score
I haven't watched the hawks like you all have.

I just thought it was striking how under utilized Harvin was in Seattle. I know your offensive is run first, but so is the Jets. Seattle #1 run team; Jets #3

Passing game is another story. Jets were one of the worst.

Wilson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jets QB's.
Lynch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jets RB's.

Yet, Harvin had more success (doubled) in NY than in Seattle. Both Teams targeted Percy around 6 attempts per in the passing game (Football Reference).

Again, this is JMHO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He wasnt "under utilized"... we didnt use him the same way. the Jets let him run routes, the Seahawks used him around the line of scrimmage.

in the one game they freed him up, he had a good 80 yards plus 2-3 TDs called back. Think what his stats would be if half his receptions in the Vikings game were nullified? there would be little difference

is what it is, more a story of the mercurial Percy harvin than anything else.

Marvin49

Reaction score
uh....

NEWSFLASH: Percy Harvin trade didn't work out for Seattle.

Team got better when he was gone...and this is coming from Niner fan who didn't like the trade the day it was made.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Percy Harvin did better when he left Seattle?

Seattle did better when Percy Harvin left.

They were like 3-2 when he was here, then they went on like a 9-2 run after he was gone.

And how many of his yards on the Jets were in garbage time?

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Marvin49":2o8s3ezt said:
uh....

NEWSFLASH: Percy Harvin trade didn't work out for Seattle.

Team got better when he was gone...and this is coming from Niner fan who didn't like the trade the day it was made.

I like this guy.

canfan

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1ak3o9vv said:
Percy Harvin did better when he left Seattle?

Seattle did better when Percy Harvin left.

They were like 3-2 when he was here, then they went on like a 9-2 run after he was gone.

And how many of his yards on the Jets were in garbage time?

Its the Jets. Weren't all of his yards in garbage time?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Harvin could be an all pro next year and I wouldn't "feel bad" about it. He's no longer our headache, don't care what he does, but I would like him to do it as a Jet next year