Harbaugh on Seahawks final play & being fired after C-LINK

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harbaugh had an interesting conversation with Tim Kawakami today where he basically confirmed that Jed York fired him unilaterally after the Seahawks game in Seattle. He also shared his thoughts on the Super Bowl final play and says Tomsula was angling for his job before he was even out of the building.

On the firing after the Seattle game:

-HARBAUGH: Yes, I was told I wouldn’t be the coach any more. And then… you can call it ‘mutual,’ I mean, I wasn’t going to put the 49ers in the position to have a coach that they didn’t want any more. But that’s the truth of it. I didn’t leave the 49ers. I felt like the 49er hierarchy left me.

-Q: Were you told this the Monday after the game in Seattle?

-HARBAUGH: Yes.

On the Patriots/Seahawks Super Bowl:

-HARBAUGH: Yeah, I did watch the playoff games and I watched the Super Bowl. I thought that was a credit to football, the way that game was played. Amazing field of competition.

-Q: Do you run the ball at the end there or do you throw it?

-HARBAUGH: You know, I really thought they had a good play called. That was an insightful play against a goal-line defense, and a really neat combination that they had–with an inside pick play. It really was open.

And that young man from the New England Patriots made a play–I mean, that is a play that the stars of the game don’t make. He made a play that was… at best that ball gets knocked down and incomplete. But to make an interception on that play… what a phenomenal play. That was the play of a lifetime.

And all credit to him for making it.

He also basically says that Tomsula refused to look him in the eye when they would pass each other in the building and that he knew "something was up" with him. He sends well wishes to his "loyal coaches."

LINK: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... rchy-left/

chris98251

Reaction score
Yep pretty much what we thought, oh as far as Tomsula, thats what yes men do, they have no balls, they say yes, will angle for themselves and are typically good workers but also suck ups. Many times they undermine and become a information stream for the hierarchy, with their own spin on it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hilarious, he does and interview with the hated kawakami. Essentially calls Jed a big fat liar. Tomsula a narc for Jed.

It's everything the faithful dread.

Jville

Reaction score
Story is on NFL web site >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470481/article/jim-harbaugh-i-felt-like-the-49er-hierarchy-left-me[/urltargetblank]

The Tim Kawakami Show is recognized and referenced. >>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/13/tk-show-day-1-conversation-jim-harbaugh-today-clarifying-exit-49ers-move-michigan-much-much/[/urltargetblank]

Jim harbaugh 2bc7b54df70156b0
Jim looks at least 10 years younger now.

“I’ve got a pretty good understanding of some of the things that took place,” Harbaugh said of the parade of leaks about his perilous job status throughout the season.

“I don’t think we were playing out of the same playbook. But maybe there’ll be a book some day. Maybe I’ll write a manuscript.” - Harbaugh
Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2015/02/13/unforgettable-undeniable-crystal-clear-jim-harbaugh-left-49ers-still-commands-story/[/urltargetblank]

HansGruber

Reaction score
I'm happy for him the way Michigan worked out. Harbaugh won in that mess. He gets to coach where he will receive unwavering support, in a place that has great emotional significance to him. He's positioned for maximum success, and I can see him finally winning a title at Michigan. I'll even root for him.

The same can't be said for the niners. What a cluster fudge. The problem with inherited power/wealth is that guys like York just don't have the first clue how to properly use it. York was handed the reins to a billion dollar business without ever having to forge the business relationships and develop the business skills required to run something that large.

Someone who has had to build a business understands that ambition can destroy success of allowed to fester. Rather than working toward a common goal, an organization begins to work against itself as business resources (like man hours) are wasted by competing interests seeking to undercut or harm the others. Imagine if Harbaugh had the complete support of the entire organization. The Niners would be a threat next season, instead of being stuck in the early years of a rebuild.

York lacks the judgement and acuity of a seasoned business owner. And so he puts his faith in a system made up of individuals who actively pursue their own interests at the expense of the business.

I see what happened in SF, and it reminds me how great we have it in Seattle. Our owner is a seasoned and successful businessman. He knows exactly what it takes to keep a business working together to meet the ultimate goal. And he's built two teams back to back that took the business to the top. Feels good.

chris98251

Reaction score
HansGruber":3vs745kl said:
I'm happy for him the way Michigan worked out. Harbaugh won in that mess. He gets to coach where he will receive unwavering support, in a place that has great emotional significance to him. He's positioned for maximum success, and I can see him finally winning a title at Michigan. I'll even root for him.

The same can't be said for the niners. What a cluster fudge. The problem with inherited power/wealth is that guys like York just don't have the first clue how to properly use it. York was handed the reins to a billion dollar business without ever having to forge the business relationships and develop the business skills required to run something that large.

Someone who has had to build a business understands that ambition can destroy success of allowed to fester. Rather than working toward a common goal, an organization begins to work against itself as business resources (like man hours) are wasted by competing interests seeking to undercut or harm the others. Imagine if Harbaugh had the complete support of the entire organization. The Niners would be a threat next season, instead of being stuck in the early years of a rebuild.

York lacks the judgement and acuity of a seasoned business owner. And so he puts his faith in a system made up of individuals who actively pursue their own interests at the expense of the business.

I see what happened in SF, and it reminds me how great we have it in Seattle. Our owner is a seasoned and successful businessman. He knows exactly what it takes to keep a business working together to meet the ultimate goal. And he's built two teams back to back that took the business to the top. Feels good.

The Microsoft founders were never about headlines but about achieving success and being savvy enough to innovate when they could and buy it if they seen it as a long term help to the business and or quell competition is some instances.

They were never about being front men. Even now they are not news makers as themselves but what they do.

Based on what we have seen from the York's it's not quite the same down in the Silly Con Valley.

HansGruber

Reaction score
chris98251":1s8tw9rm said:
The Microsoft founders were never about headlines but about achieving success and being savvy enough to innovate when they could and buy it if they seen it as a long term help to the business and or quell competition is some instances.

They were never about being front men. Even now they are not news makers as themselves but what they do.

Based on what we have seen from the York's it's not quite the same down in the Silly Con Valley.

True. I attended a lecture at the UW School of Business where Bill Gates described this exact dynamic.

They believed in competition and innovation, but sought to eliminate internal conflicts that waste company resources and weaken the business by pitting the company against itself.

York should have recognized that Tomsula was politicking for the head job. If he worked or met with Tomsula outside of Harbaugh's knowledge, then he is actively sabotaging his own business interests. It's a mistake that seasoned and successful businesses avoid.

rlkats

Reaction score
I'm glad Harbaugh is in a great place. The season and past seasons were a great sight to see. A coach being able to accomplish so much even with the back stabbing going on. Sad. To see my niners that way. I think I'm finally done with it all. No loyalty or respect for others just childish games. Balke and York have ruined this team for me. And for this in done. This is not my Niners of past. This is no proud franchise. They have no resemblance of what the niners were or should be.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
rlkats":1cfxz12l said:
I'm glad Harbaugh is in a great place. The season and past seasons were a great sight to see. A coach being able to accomplish so much even with the back stabbing going on. Sad. To see my niners that way. I think I'm finally done with it all. No loyalty or respect for others just childish games. Balke and York have ruined this team for me. And for this in done. This is not my Niners of past. This is no proud franchise. They have no resemblance of what the niners were or should be.

I think most Seahawks fans now feel sorry for the Niners. That's how utterly pathetic the Whiners have become.

The only light at the end of the tunnel that tinpot organisation is a train coming the other way.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
rlkats":3neic7ts said:
I do feel sorry for the core 49er fan.I wouldn't want it to happen to us that way.I'll miss the competition we got from them under Harbaugh.That said..rikats does this mean your a free agent fan?We will take you,Marvin and Irv in. :thirishdrinkers:

drdiags

Reaction score
Who knows what the future holds for any franchise. An untimely death, sell of a team and a once rosy future becomes clouded or a dismal existence is washed away with a forward looking ownership. We saw this with going from the Nordstroms to Behring to Allen. Other organizations have as well.

I can understand Rikat's downturn in hope for the organization he loves but let the frustration run its course is what I suggest. I hated Behring but the pictures of the Atlas moving vans was one of the worse images for me. Back in the 90's threats from Baseball ownership and Football just seem to come one after another (damn you Schultz!).

Sorry, went off track there. If York takes the organization down a deep hole, maybe in time he and the family sell to a Bay-area investor that gets them back on track, or maybe York matures in the next few years to be the type of owner fans want for the org? As a division rival I say best of luck. All NFL fans keep their fingers crossed that their ownership is a positive one for the team but fickle hands of fate can make their lives hell.

If I am a Saints fan, I am wondering what happens with the Benson issue. Bills fans had to be concerned when Ralph Wilson passed and it looks like they may have lucked up with the new ownership. Browns fans had a potential ownership improvement over Lerner but now Haslem's org looks even more dysfunctional.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they could see the error of their ways and maybe bring Eddie back, I don't think he is involved with Cleveland anymore.

homerun1970

Reaction score
At this point I think even the staunchest defenders of the 49er shield have got to be wondering what is going on. That place is a hell of a mess! We lost the superbowl on a bad call coupled with a hell of a play. It seems the 49ers are content to set in their new stadium and instead of a mediocre receiver go for achieving a mediocre franchise or worse. When the rivalry was in full bloom who would have thought that in the end there would be just a feeling of sympathy.

Seafan

Reaction score
With York there it's easy to dislike them. He's the Dan Snyder of the NFC West. 9ers fans deserve him. The future of their franchise depends on Papatki's development. They had all the talent before Harbaugh got there but were floundering. Don't see things getting better with Harbaugh/Fangio leaving.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seafan":q5wnn31l said:
With York there it's easy to dislike them. He's the Dan Snyder of the NFC West. 9ers fans deserve him. The future of their franchise depends on Papatki's development. They had all the talent before Harbaugh got there but were floundering. Don't see things getting better with Harbaugh/Fangio leaving.

Meddlesome maybe, Snyder though thought he could buy a championship, 49ers are coming off as a cheap overbearing ownership and front office.