Best O-lineman for hawks scheme

hawksurething

Reaction score
Best free agents in order from best to least best are... RT Bulaga,Newton,Pernell,Free. OGs are franklin,iupati.
There are zero good LTs in this draft,but some good OGs in late rounds are... J.Harrison(pro bowl ability,he just needs motivation which the hawks provide),Fabuluje(weak in practice,but is great in live games),Shepherd,Matias,Tre Jackson,poutasi(but he will need a lot of coaching for years).

Pro football focus has great ratings for the free agents you can look up :) anyone below free is not worth picking up in free agency.

Key traits that make good lineman are... 6'6 & up for LTs,long arms,knee benders,footwork,change of direction & quickness,punch,hand technique,recognizes twist & blitzes,mirror & sustain,2nd level blocking,recover,anchor,aggression & leg power.

As long as a lineman has long arms,kneebend,mirror,anchor,enough quickness & 2nd level blocking?...they will be OK for hawks system. The other stuff can be taught. I see hawks getting a few in mid rounds. Harrison would be boss !

Clemmings is a probowl RT,but i did not list him since he is going to high. If I'm missing a key trait or you know of a good O-lineman that will be good ? Please tell us :)

Go Hawks !!!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Iupati is the only free agent I can see who would single handedly change the complexion of our offensive line. Dude is a beast. Marshawn could run for career yardage if we were consistently dominating the line of scrimmage.

The downside with him is his inconsistency in pass pro. Fortunately, Wilson has proven to be pretty adept at eluding the pressure. Maybe his pass pro liabilities will be enough to knock down his market value?

ludakrishna

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2yqe641y said:
Iupati is the only free agent I can see who would single handedly change the complexion of our offensive line. Dude is a beast. Marshawn could run for career yardage if we were consistently dominating the line of scrimmage.

The downside with him is his inconsistency in pass pro. Fortunately, Wilson has proven to be pretty adept at eluding the pressure. Maybe his pass pro liabilities will be enough to knock down his market value?

Iupati has sort of sucked the last two years and seriously under achieved.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm hoping the hype machine keeps going for Mike Iupati. He's pretty good but not as great as people think he is. He's an elite run blocker but poor in pass protection. That's similar to what we already have...

Orlando Franklin is my top FA want at this point for any position. Franklin has put together multiple seasons of top ranked Pass Protection & Run Blocking at both Tackle and Guard. Plus the blocking scheme he comes from is a zone scheme similar to what we already run. Franklin would be a stalwart on the line between Okung and Unger and would provide a consistent dominant presence (He's missed only 1 game in 4 seasons).

While everyone else is trying to talk to Iupati I hope Pete and John swoop in and get a steal in Franklin who's quietly been one of the best offensive lineman over the last 4 years he's been in the league.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Yes so true about Iupati... Great run blocker,poor pass blocker. Its a shame that the only good pass protector in free agency is franklin who will cost too much.

That's why I listed all the OGs I could find in the draft that fit our zone block & zone read scheme. This is a good year for hawks to snatch OGs late since teams will be picking those sorry lineman i did not mention 1st. Check out J.Harrison who is freaking amazing ! And the rest of the O-lineman I mentioned via same draft site. :)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552341

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
Their are PLENTY of centers in this draft better than what we had since he got overpowered in pass game. Like..Erving,Grasu,Finney,Marpet,Gallik.

Erving athletic! Power. But has thin legs which can get hurt & still learning center position. Also he is 6'5 tall for a center so leverage my be a issue. Plus Wilson is short.

Grasu all around athletic,great in pass protect power & run power. But won't win in short yardage due to power.

Marpet are athletic! Power! All around. But leans & lunges,also his weak division might be an issue(although I see him as being good no matter what!!!). Even with his short legs. Check out his senior bowl vs real comp !

Gallik is all around power,but not a great puller or 2nd level guy.(still might be good enuff though?).

Finney is power!,he won't get ran over in pass pro. But not athletic to pull at all or 2nd level at all.(so hawks might not want this powerful but slow dude?).

In conclusion I like #1 Marpet in 3rd or 4th rd. Then Grasu if he gets stronger in shortyardage? Gallik next.

Erving will be picked too high and is too tall with thin legs anyways! No more hurt body types for hawks.

If all else fails Finney will be a great power center at least :)

What do you guys think ? Have any special insight ?

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksurething":3tkfjvik said:
Their are PLENTY of centers in this draft better than what we had since he got overpowered in pass game. Like..Erving,Grasu,Finney,Marpet,Gallik.

Erving athletic! Power. But has thin legs which can get hurt & still learning center position. Also he is 6'5 tall for a center so leverage my be a issue. Plus Wilson is short.

Grasu all around athletic,great in pass protect power & run power. But won't win in short yardage due to power.

Marpet are athletic! Power! All around. But leans & lunges,also his weak division might be an issue(although I see him as being good no matter what!!!). Even with his short legs. Check out his senior bowl vs real comp !

Gallik is all around power,but not a great puller or 2nd level guy.(still might be good enuff though?).

Finney is power!,he won't get ran over in pass pro. But not athletic to pull at all or 2nd level at all.(so hawks might not want this powerful but slow dude?).

In conclusion I like #1 Marpet in 3rd or 4th rd. Then Grasu if he gets stronger in shortyardage? Gallik next.

Erving will be picked too high and is too tall with thin legs anyways! No more hurt body types for hawks.

Centers have to be smart, and react on the fly and make calls, less athletic more intelligent, not one portion of Getting a guy that has both is what we need, not another Chris Spencer. Why Unger, Tobeck, Yarno, Saturday were all so good, they worked just as hard learning what to do and how to make the calls as a QB does.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
chris98251":219oj361 said:
hawksurething":219oj361 said:

Centers have to be smart, and react on the fly and make calls, less athletic more intelligent, not one portion of Getting a guy that has both is what we need, not another Chris Spencer. Why Unger, Tobeck, Yarno, Saturday were all so good, they worked just as hard learning what to do and how to make the calls as a QB does.

Thank you for input. That's why I'm not high on Erving since he is still learning. Plus he is kind of tall for center.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552366

Stay away from TY Sambralio because he has poor power.

He will just be another guy that can move,but let's so much penertration! Hawks already have the most penetrated line in the NFL due to lack of strength or whiffs.

How many times have we seen our line get blown up ? Ran over ? Pushed back? Whiff ? Etc...

We need powerful linemen that can still move well like...Marpet,and the guys I mentioned.

Anyone not on my list is either waiting to get pushed back or can't pass block or cant run block.

My list of players can both run block & pass block well,while having functional strength and good technique or punch at this stage.

No more weak linemen !

Largent80

Reaction score
Ummmm, we are a zone blocking team. What that means is, there are going to be whiffs and penetration. You had better get used to it.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Largent80":aoweuz6d said:
Ummmm, we are a zone blocking team. What that means is, there are going to be whiffs and penetration. You had better get used to it.

Whatever we do... we need to encourage Largent to post more...

alot more.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hawksurething":3vu43q8o said:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ty-sambrailo?id=2552366

He will just be another guy that can move,but let's so much penertration! Hawks already have the most penetrated line in the NFL due to lack of strength or whiffs.

How many times have we seen our line get blown up ? Ran over ? Pushed back? Whiff ? Etc...

We need powerful linemen that can still move well like...Marpet,and the guys I mentioned.

Anyone not on my list is either waiting to get pushed back or can't pass block or cant run block.

My list of players can both run block & pass block well,while having functional strength and good technique or punch at this stage.

No more weak linemen !
HST stay with WR's and stay away from our OL/D ..Your like a boat in rough water sometimes.I can see why Pehawk loves you.

Largent80

Reaction score
What can be better than whiffs and penetration?.....especially with my av.

Oop's....wrong forum.

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
IndyHawk":wtkfztgu said:
hawksurething":wtkfztgu said:

No more weak linemen !
HST stay with WR's and stay away from our OL/D ..Your like a boat in rough water sometimes.I can see why Pehawk loves you.

Actually I'm 100% on picking O-linemen too. I had z.martin,bonito,seantrel henderson,Xavier(if at guard),mewhort,james,yankey & Gabe Jackson as studs last year. While i did not like none of the top 3 guys picked in did not like due to power,movement,character or still too much learning needed.

Yankey & Xavier still has to prove me correct for my low round picks,but I think I will remain 100% barring injuries. Watch and see. If I'm wrong come attack me. Lol.

Urshel is another low round guy 5th pick who is decent if you play him at center since he has low strength,short arms. If he gets to start at center Watch me correct again by him being servecible as a 5th pick.

Point is non of the media's top O-line men are good,except for Clemming's RT & Erving center once he learns it. Most of my OGs are converted OTs which is really good ! ;)

Stick with my list atbthe positions inhave them and you Can't go wrong. Play them out of position and they might flop.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
hawksurething":1lqcqcn1 said:
IndyHawk":1lqcqcn1 said:
hawksurething":1lqcqcn1 said:

No more weak linemen !

Actually I'm 100% on picking O-linemen too. I had z.martin,bonito,seantrel henderson,Xavier(if at guard),mewhort,james,yankey & Gabe Jackson as studs last year. While i did not like none of the top 3 guys picked in did not like due to power,movement,character or still too much learning needed.

Yankey & Xavier still has to prove me correct for my low round picks,but I think I will remain 100% barring injuries. Watch and see. If I'm wrong come attack me. Lol.

Urshel is another low round guy 5th pick who is decent if you play him at center since he has low strength,short arms. If he gets to start at center Watch me correct again by him being servecible as a 5th pick.

Point is non of the media's top O-line men are good,except for Clemming's RT & Erving center once he learns it. Most of my OGs are converted OTs which is really good ! ;)

Stick with my list atbthe positions inhave them and you Can't go wrong. Play them out of position and they might flop.

Since you always seem to be right, can you give me the winning powerball numbers for tonight drawiing. I have a multimillion dollar business I need to get started ASAP.

Sac

Reaction score
Psssh. If you won the power ball, why start a business? Just kick it, and party and stuff.