Larry Fitzgerald Agrees to new 2 year deal with Cards

ringless

Reaction score
Wow, what a team player! Saves the team 13 million this year alone! RUMOR is, and I happen to believe this but Dockett is also interested in lowering his cap number for us to bring in other players as well.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Congrats to the Cards and Fitz for getting it done. I can't lie... most of me wishes he'd gone somewhere else, but I have to acknowledge that a small part of me likes seeing a player stick with a team for his entire career, especially when that team has struggled.

Decimation

Reaction score
Darn, I wanted a big wide receiver like him. He would've definitely helped bring this offense to the next level. Meant to be a Cardinal I guess! Kudos to their front office getting a deal done.

ringless

Reaction score
In total we save 13 million this year, and 6-7 million next year. What class! Fitz wants to play in his original position instead of in the slot. It will be great to see him where he belong again going up for jump balls

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ringless":3c9wvl46 said:
Wow, what a team player! Saves the team 13 million this year alone!

Ehh, to think he's really taking one for the team we have to pretend that he was going to get paid 16 million (and have an 18 million dollar cap hit) by ANYONE this year, which just isn't the case at all.

So, rather than trying to stick it out on a contract that was guarantted for 16 this year and nothing next year (and he would get cut before getting his 16 this year), he's getting two years fully guaranteed at 11 million per year.

At this point in his career I don't think Fitz is worth a fully guaranteed 22 million over two years, but I can see why the Cardinals would want him to retire with the team.

I don't see any "team player" in this though (not saying he isn't one, I'm sure he is, but this isn't an example of it, IMO)

Rat

Reaction score
Would have enjoyed seeing him here, but good for Fitz and the Cards. That franchise doesn't get many lifers. I didn't like that they had to watch Aeneas Williams and Adrian Wilson play their twilight years in other uniforms.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
He was going to make 16 million next year? Woof..

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ :lol: Yeah.

Not that he was ever going to make that, but two years fully guaranteed at 11 million per is basically the equivalent of what he's been saying: he's not going to take a paycut.

I don't think he's worth nearly that much on the open market, but I can understand the logic for the Cardinals (he's a big part of the franchise, they're trying to keep things together to give Palmer one or two more shots, etc.).

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Congrats Cards. One of the greats, on and off the field. Going off of last year, you don't really deserve him, here's hoping a healthy Palmer can do him justice next season, just not against us.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":vxovvgom said:
^^^^ :lol: Yeah.

Not that he was ever going to make that, but two years fully guaranteed at 11 million per is basically the equivalent of what he's been saying: he's not going to take a paycut.

I don't think he's worth nearly that much on the open market, but I can understand the logic for the Cardinals (he's a big part of the franchise, they're trying to keep things together to give Palmer one or two more shots, etc.).

I'm not sure he's really saving them anything either... I mean what would the cap hit have been to cut him?

Thought he'd be in Minnesota to be honest. So good for the cards I suppose

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
ringless":1oq68jcl said:
In total we save 13 million this year, and 6-7 million next year. What class! Fitz wants to play in his original position instead of in the slot. It will be great to see him where he belong again going up for jump balls

isnt he STILL making 11 million a year though?

I would of hated if the Seahawks signed him to that contract. Hes good, but 11 million each year...thats still alot IMO

Too bad he will never get a ring...another great player added to that list...peterson is fast approaching that list too

chris98251

Reaction score
He may not be the player he was, but he may be able to adapt his game something Like Boldin did and still be a force, nice to see the guy look to finish his career there as well.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":12m31vop said:
Too bad he will never get a ring...another great player added to that list...peterson is fast approaching that list too

Ehh, I don't think the Cards are front runners by any means, but they finished 11-5 basically playing the season with a 3rd string QB.

The Hawks will still be the Hawks next year (although they're not likely to be better than they were last year or this year), and the 9ers have basically given up on football.

All to say that if Palmer were healthy last year I think smart money would have been on the Cards winning the division and getting the first round bye the Hawks did.

So, I disagree with Ringless that Fitz is doing the Cards a favor, but I totally understand and agree with their perception of their window.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
11M a year in guaranteed money still seems like a lot for Fitzgerald, especially with Larry, Moe and Curly throwing to him.

This seems more like a "we just wanna show Larry we love him and don't want him to go to a competitor" move, rather than what would be best for a team needing serious cap relief.

Prudent cap move would be to cut him and save another 5-6M in cap in order to keep guys like Dockett and Cromartie.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jgvj97n said:
11M a year in guaranteed money still seems like a lot for Fitzgerald, especially with Larry, Moe and Curly throwing to him.

This seems more like a "we just wanna show Larry we love him and don't want him to go to a competitor" move, rather than what would be best for a team needing serious cap relief.

Prudent cap move would be to cut him and save another 5-6M in cap in order to keep guys like Dockett and Cromartie.
It's already been mentioned Dockett may be willing to restructure. If that's so, Cromartie may be open to it also given how close they were to making a big run last year.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Popeyejones":mm48dt7l said:
The Hawks will still be the Hawks next year (although they're not likely to be better than they were last year or this year), and the 9ers have basically given up on football.

Lmao

I feel bad for you guys, I wanted this rivalry to be heated forever.

marko358

Reaction score
First Fitz and now this tweet regarding Vincent Jackson:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/568129307605897217[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just an opinion obviously, but if the Hawks were planning on throwing money at Fitz or Jackson this off-season, they just dodged a couple bullets, IMO. I don't think either of those guys are worth what they're going to get, and that's PARTICULARLY the case for a team that passes as little as the Hawks do, and rely on backyard football to the degree the Hawks do while doing so.

Big, increasingly slow and increasingly stiff hipped guys in their 30s just aren't the ones you want for the Hawks offense Fitz's smarts and ability to find holes in zones is really the only thing either of these guys have going for them from the Hawks perspectives, IMO.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hgdnf44 said:
Just an opinion obviously, but if the Hawks were planning on throwing money at Fitz or Jackson this off-season, they just dodged a couple bullets, IMO. I don't think either of those guys are worth what they're going to get, and that's PARTICULARLY the case for a team that passes as little as the Hawks do, and rely on backyard football to the degree the Hawks do while doing so.

Big, increasingly slow and increasingly stiff hipped guys in their 30s just aren't the ones you want for the Hawks offense Fitz's smarts and ability to find holes in zones is really the only thing either of these guys have going for them from the Hawks perspectives, IMO.

Kinda Agree.

I've been wondering if Dorial Green-Beckham might be someone they look at if he's there at 31. Lots of character issues. Otherwise he'd go much, much higher...and in fact still might.