Chargers and Raiders might share stadium in LA...

korboko

Reaction score
If this happens, could the Raiders go to the NFC West? If so, will the Seahawks move to the AFC West? Can you imagine being rivals with the Broncos, Chargers, and Chiefs again. Seeing the Patriots more in the playoffs. What the heck is going on?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":o44dm4ci said:
I don't see why it should affect us at all.

The rumor awhile back was that if it was the Raiders and Chargers would move, they couldn't be in the same conference, let alone the same division.

Rumor held that the Raiders would likely move to the NFC West and Seattle would move back to the AFC West.

That was the rumor anyway. I don't buy it tho because I think it'll be a moot point. The Rams are going to move to LA and there won't be three teams...so it'll be one AFC Team and one NFC Team...and for us fans of teams in NFC West, one less cross country flight every year.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Obviously, I find this entire thing annoying.

However, if both the Chargers and Raiders move to Los Angeles, and the Rams stay in St. Louis, then:

rumors are (all moves are rumors anyway) -

Raiders to NFC W
Rams to AFC W

According to the same rumor mongers behind all - easy peasy. Hawks no longer play the Rams, they play the Raiders.

tbh, that is worse for you. Raiders have an, um, : QB

netskier

Reaction score
Why couldn't the Raiders and chargers be in the same conference (AFC) and division, given that they would be geographically nearest neighbors in different cities? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I also would like the Rams to represent the NFC West for olds time's sake.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawks will not change again, we ate it the last time to please the NFL just when we started to re emerge and our rivalry's were starting to heat up as members of the AFC west.

netskier

Reaction score
Make that the Los Angeles Rams and the Oakland Raiders. I hate the LA Raiders.

OP
OP
K

korboko

Reaction score
The Chargers and the Raiders probably saved the NFL in St. Louis. If this happens, there is no way the NFL will also allow the Rams to move to LA as well.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
If we have to change conferences again because of one of these bullshit teams changing cities... Naw, I don't even buy it. They wouldn't make us change again, especially now that we're elite. Make another bullshit team do it. Arizona or something.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Reading the statements, it sounds like it's just a play by the Chargers to get a new, taxpayer-funded stadium in SD. That's pretty much how it's done these days.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":4swvy3jw said:
If we have to change conferences again because of one of these bullshit teams changing cities... Naw, I don't even buy it. They wouldn't make us change again, especially now that we're elite. Make another bullshit team do it. Arizona or something.

Why would Hawks have to change?

AS I SAID: Raiders and Rams would change conferences. Davis is on record saying he agrees to change to the NFC W.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RedAlice":33y6gvg8 said:
Zebulon Dak":33y6gvg8 said:

AS I SAID: Raiders and Rams would change conferences. Davis is on record saying he agrees to change to the NFC W.

I heard the rumors months ago that it might be the Seahawks to make the move since they have a history in the AFC West.

Could be the Rams tho...that's just not the rumor I heard.

I think it'll be moot tho. I think the Rams are moving to LA with Chargers or Raiders and everyone stays in their current division.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't see it.

The Raiders have way too much history in the AFC and long-standing classic rivalries in the AFC.

Unless you're a Hawks fan the team's history as an AFC team was basically uneventful and meaningless, whereas they've made their reputation as a team worth thinking about (and with rivalries worth caring about) in the NFC.

It doesn't make sense from either side.

That said, there are three major reasons why you don't want two teams in the same division playing in the same stadium:

1) You're essentially giving two teams 9 home games and 7 away games per year.

2) Season ticket holders for each team are going to be massively annoyed at the arbitrary "home" and "away" distinction for each of the games and have a fit that they can't see their team play a game -and an important division game -in its "own" stadium each year.

3) You're basically absolutely begging for decreased fan safety and increased violence in the stands. It would just be a complete and total mess twice a year.

Heck, you don't even want them in the same conference. I'm sure the NFL is incredibly happy that the Giants and Jets only play each other once every five years.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jhu7u6f said:
RedAlice":1jhu7u6f said:
Zebulon Dak":1jhu7u6f said:

I heard the rumors months ago that it might be the Seahawks to make the move since they have a history in the AFC West.

Could be the Rams tho...that's just not the rumor I heard.

I think it'll be moot tho. I think the Rams are moving to LA with Chargers or Raiders and everyone stays in their current division.

If the Rams stay in STL it makes sense to move them to the AFCW for geographic reasons. And also they can have an annual rivalry with the Chiefs.

sutz

Reaction score
netskier":cppyl4mh said:
Why couldn't the Raiders and chargers be in the same conference (AFC) and division, given that they would be geographically nearest neighbors in different cities? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I also would like the Rams to represent the NFC West for olds time's sake.
Television. You would have conflicts between one team on the road and the home team.

The bad part of this idea, for So Cal fans is simple. Goodbye double headers. Unless the contracts have changed, a network is not allowed to broadcast a double header going up against a home game. Of course, if they really start streaming games, this won't apply.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2m3uc7g7 said:
If the Rams stay in STL it makes sense to move them to the AFCW for geographic reasons. And also they can have an annual rivalry with the Chiefs.

Good point, and agreed.

I guess on the other side of it I could see the NFL not wanting to move the rams into a new division or conference because even if the LA market gets taken by the Raiders and Chargers, the Rams probably aren't long for St. Louis anyway.

The prospect of moving the Rams' division or conference twice in ten years or whatever probably isn't something the NFL looks favorably upon.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Personally it wouldn't be that bad to move back to the old AFC West. We have the history there, and we could be the only team in the history of the league to eventually win the Super Bowl as NFC and AFC. We're already the only team in the league ever to play in both an AFC and an NFC Championship game.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2e6dyc4f said:
Seahawks1983":2e6dyc4f said:

Good point, and agreed.

I guess on the other side of it I could see the NFL not wanting to move the rams into a new division or conference because even if the LA market gets taken by the Raiders and Chargers, the Rams probably aren't long for St. Louis anyway.

The prospect of moving the Rams' division or conference twice in ten years or whatever probably isn't something the NFL looks favorably upon.

Where would they go? With 2 teams in LA, that option is off the table. I suppose they could move to San Diego, but that doesn't seem likely. If SD won't build a stadium for the Chargers, I doubt they will build one for the Rams.

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Gee ivotuk, thanks for the link."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl ... tml#page=1

Cool looking stadium.

However, imaho, the Chargers are bluffing to leverage a new stadium in San Diego while the Raiders are trying to figure out what they're going to do in Oakland.

Marc Davis will never move, he already saw what a screw up it was when his dad moved there. So he's trying to get leverage for something, he probably has no idea what, but it seems like a good idea if the Chargers are doing it.

Meanwhile, the Rams want to move to LA, and as we have seen in the past, LA can barely support 1 NFL team. If they're going to get on board with the NFL again, a team that still has fans there from the previous franchise (LA Rams) is probably the best bet for fan support.

I doubt the Chargers would get much fan support if they moved to LA to compete against the Rams, and the Raiders, with their knuckle-dragging fans would be absolutely screwed.

So that's my prediction