Mike Singletary

KitsapHawk

Reaction score
I really liked him as a coach, even if he coached the 49ers. Would you like to see him coaching in someway on the Seahawks? Things like this: [youtube]EB5-yJM3vJc[/youtube]

OrFan

Reaction score
Singlebraincell was a good player, it stopped there.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I think he was a good position coach (as much as you can judge those guys from TV and interviews). I wouldn't be upset if he was hired as a linebackers coach.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
He'll never be (and never should have been) more than a position coach.

As for being a position coach, he's probably best at getting the most out of his players at the level they're at, rather than actually developing the younger guys into superior players.

While the rant about Vernon can seem like a good attitude in isolation, when you view it within context of the other stuff going on with Singletary at the time it has a different sheen on it.

Just as an example, IIRC it was the week after this rant about Vernon that during halftime Singeltary dropped trow and mooned the entire team to get across the point that they were playing like @ss. :lol:

He was out of control. He doesn't have the temperament to be a head coach, and doesn't have the ability to be a coordinator.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1n3ciyol said:
He'll never be (and never should have been) more than a position coach.

As for being a position coach, he's probably best at getting the most out of his players at the level they're at, rather than actually developing the younger guys into superior players.

While the rant about Vernon can seem like a good attitude in isolation, when you view it within context of the other stuff going on with Singletary at the time it has a different sheen on it.

Just as an example, IIRC it was the week after this rant about Vernon that during halftime Singeltary dropped trow and mooned the entire team to get across the point that they were playing like @ss. :lol:

He was out of control. He doesn't have the temperament to be a head coach, and doesn't have the ability to be a coordinator.

Agreed.

I think he's a decent LB coach and a good motivational speaker, but not really a coach or coordinator. Not strong on Xs and Os and doesn't understand players that don't work as hard as he did...a common problem with great players turned coaches.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^^ Hate to do it, but I'm guessing the comparison was in the back of both of our minds as we we're typing anyway, right?

I figure this will make it to .net eventually, so might as well. :lol:

[youtube]T6Sr8VI_TaI[/youtube]

(TBF - I do think Tomsula is more of a teacher than Sing, and more of player's coach than the strong father figure type that Sing presented).

olyfan63

Reaction score
That rant in the first post says all we need to know.
It's not the Pete Carroll way to throw your guys under the bus and label them, like Singletary did there.
It's no wonder a real coach like Harbaugh instantly improved SF when taking over for Singletary.
I think it's better to remember Singletary as the great linebacker great player he was. His strengths as a player are weaknesses as a coach. Publicly labeling players as selfish and (not) wanting to win = a grown man having an egomaniac temper tantrum. Will not reach a lot of players, and will turn them off and not be useful or constructive, nor help in *teaching* players HOW to be better. Not compatible with how Carroll rolls, can't see how he'd ever fit on a Carroll coaching staff.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
olyfan63":3dlutydm said:
That rant in the first post says all we need to know.
It's not the Pete Carroll way to throw your guys under the bus and label them, like Singletary did there.
It's no wonder a real coach like Harbaugh instantly improved SF when taking over for Singletary.
I think it's better to remember Singletary as the great linebacker great player he was. His strengths as a player are weaknesses as a coach. Publicly labeling players as selfish and (not) wanting to win = a grown man having an egomaniac temper tantrum. Will not reach a lot of players, and will turn them off and not be useful or constructive, nor help in *teaching* players HOW to be better. Not compatible with how Carroll rolls, can't see how he'd ever fit on a Carroll coaching staff.

He is motivated in only one way--one intense, exhausting way. That's the only motivation he knows, it's all he'll ever coach to. And it certainly does not play for everyone.

ivotuk

Reaction score
OrFan":2pjexf3i said:

LOL! :) That's perfect! Love Mike Singlebraincell and he would make a great Linebacker coach, but that's his ceiling. He would get those guys fired up.

olyfan63

Reaction score
ivotuk":2o7uttq0 said:
OrFan":2o7uttq0 said:

LOL! :) That's perfect! Love Mike Singlebraincell and he would make a great Linebacker coach, but that's his ceiling. He would get those guys fired up.

I'd take Lofa Tatupu over Singletary as a LBers coach... all day, every day.
Whaddya know... so would Pete!