Cut Players Vs FA for Comp Picks

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Right now the top Seahawks comp eligible free agents are (with projected comp ranges)

Byron Maxwell 3-4
James Carpenter 5-6
Malcolm Smith 6-7
Jeron Johnson 7

If the Seahawks want Maxwell's likely 3rd round comp means they probably wont be looking to add another player of the same magnitude i.e. Julian Thomas.

There are a lot of interesting names on the open market that just have been released and likely many more to come that I feel the Seahawks could be players for.

Charlie Johnson or Todd Herremans could be cheap placeholders for Carpenter while they develop a rookie.

Harry Douglas is an intriguing option, hes not big or fast but he knows how to get open. Hes basically the player the Seahawks were developing Richardson as a rookie.

Steven Jackson or Reggie Bush could be cheap alternatives if the Seahawks sell Michael or Lynch retires. But out all the names these two seem unlikely....

Like most I would love Suh but that seems less likely every day and Im high on adding a Paea and a Melton as well but Im an opportunist. At least thats how I would think as a GM... And four names intrigue me more than the others as must have Seahawks additions from the land of the released and would have no bearing on the return of the Seahawks 2016 compensation picks maximizing opportunity.

1. Jacoby Jones: Seahawks have a blackhole at KR/PR and Jones is elite in this ability. 1.5m apy seems like a starting point and I would go as high as 2.5m .

2. Kendall Langford: Every now and then a perfect player for your system will hit you square in the face. Two years ago that was Tony McDaniel, now Kendell Langford is basically a Tony McDaniel level 3T with pass-rush ability. Cut McD and sign Langford for 3 yrs, 3-4m apy. RJFs contract with WASH seems like reasonable fit.

3. Barry Coefield: If Langford was my Melton, then Cofield is my Paea. Cofield has been a favorite of my since his NYG days. Hes a very well-rounded player that can play mulitiple spots. I think he would compete with Langford for starting 3T and if he was a reserve he would be an elite one. I think a reasonable contract would be the one McDaniel signed last year 2 yr, 6m. Honestly for me I would just guarantee the whole thing. 2m SB. 2015 cap hit =2m and 2016=4 when Mebane comes off the books.

Langford + Coefield would likely be cheaper alternatives if thevSeahawks were looking at adding 1 or 2 of Fairley, Odrick, Paea, or Melton.

4: Anthony Fasano: I actually retracted my attraction for Anthony Fasano. But Ill include him as a maybe. At first glance he seems like a very Seahawky player. Just a low-volume well-rounded TE that could come cheap. But the draft is full of potential Fasano level players.

Very well the Seahawks could get a Julius Thomas and it would be worth it to cancel out Maxwell's comp.

Maybe Jordan Cameron comes here and plays on a cheap 1 yr prove it contract in the 3.5 range. Is that worth a gamble and would only cancel out Carp's likely comp.

Maybe the Seahawks trade for Brandon Marshall and then get a Maxx Williams, Clive Walford, or David Funchess with one of their first 2 picks.

There are just so many possibilities the Seahawks can go to improve the bottom line of the team. All this waiting for a guy to sign or not sign is torture.