NFC WEST SALARY CAP SITUATIONS

ringless

Reaction score
Currently, the Seahawks sit with the most amount of cap space but also have some big contracts left to handout...
The Cardinals are in the second best position, followed by the Rams, then the 49ers.....

Seahawks: Estimate 23 million in cap space
Cardinals: (After Dockett release 14-17 million in cap space)
Rams: Over the cap by 1.48 million
SF: Over the cap by 3 million

I am assuming the Wilson deal would be done before the draft, and possibly the Lynch deal so the team knows where they stand when the major pushes are made......

In regards to the Cardinals there are rumors spreading that Carson may restructure his new deal from being a cap hit of 14.7 million down to 7.7 million for this year freeing up another 7 million in cap space.

The Rams I know the least about in the division, and thats mainly because of the history....

The 49ers, are going to have some issues moving forward... Over the cap, with an aging roster, and a very questionable staff....

mikeak

Reaction score
Thanks for this post - nice to see the overall picture

One thing to be aware of is that the general expectation is that RW is a pure extension. So the only cap hit next year is the same base salary as under the rookie contract and then 1/5 of the signing bonus. The true hit won't start until the season after

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
mikeak":2xus1b89 said:

One thing to be aware of is that the general expectation is that RW is a pure extension. So the only cap hit next year is the same base salary as under the rookie contract and then 1/5 of the signing bonus. The true hit won't start until the season after

That would be a really creative way to do the contract and manage the salary cap. Obviously the Hawks, and Cards front offices have become two of the best in the league. These two teams are going to be very exciting next year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ringless":ziqd1qvb said:
mikeak":ziqd1qvb said:

That would be a really creative way to do the contract and manage the salary cap. Obviously the Hawks, and Cards front offices have become two of the best in the league. These two teams are going to be very exciting next year.

The Hawks have already done this with Kam, Earl and Sherman. It allows them to make them to claim a higher per year average over the term of the contract extension, while having the actual terms be a bit more cap friendly using the last year along with 20% of the bonus as the base. Also, the player gets a decent signing bonus, so they are still getting paid well for that first season.

With the rookie cap in place, it really places a high value on the ability to make the most of your younger talent from the draft and from undrafted free agent rookies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":1nk3llkm said:
Currently, the Seahawks sit with the most amount of cap space but also have some big contracts left to handout...
The Cardinals are in the second best position, followed by the Rams, then the 49ers.....

I am assuming the Wilson deal would be done before the draft, and possibly the Lynch deal so the team knows where they stand when the major pushes are made......

In regards to the Cardinals there are rumors spreading that Carson may restructure his new deal from being a cap hit of 14.7 million down to 7.7 million for this year freeing up another 7 million in cap space.

The Rams I know the least about in the division, and thats mainly because of the history....

The 49ers, are going to have some issues moving forward... Over the cap, with an aging roster, and a very questionable staff....

LOL.

Won't address the staff but not nearly as dire as you are making out for the cap space.

They are actually about 3 mil UNDER the cap (most estimates I've seen on ESPN and such are using the NFL estimate of 140 mil when its far more likely to be 143+ mil. As for clearing space, they will get another 4.2 or so in unused space from last year that will role into this year, they will trade or release Ahmad Brooks (Aaron Lynch will take that spot), and likely renegotiate Kap (convert salary to bonus), Willis, Stevie Johnson, and a few others. Some think they might trade Willis and clear a ton of space and replace him with Borland...but I don't see it.

Really not all that worries about the cap as Niners aren't big FA spenders anyway. Usually looking for bargains like Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Antoine Bethea. They will probably lose Crabtree (I like him but not all that upset) and Iupati (doh). They'll draft replacements (especially at WR) and give guys like Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas a shot at Iupatis job. My guess is Gore and Justin Smith come back but see less playing time to give the youth already on the roster an opportunity (Hyde, Carradine, Dial, etc).

Edit:

Oops....my numbers were a bit off too.

Looks like $5,493,667 in space right now. This is just about the only site I trust on Niner cap issues. Everyone else varies widely and really doesn't know what they are looking at.

http://www.ninersnation.com/pages/49ers-salary-cap-2015

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
Marvin49":2befyzco said:
ringless":2befyzco said:

LOL.

Won't address the staff but not nearly as dire as you are making out for the cap space.

They are actually about 3 mil UNDER the cap (most estimates I've seen on ESPN and such are using the NFL estimate of 140 mil when its far more likely to be 143+ mil. As for clearing space, they will get another 4.2 or so in unused space from last year that will role into this year, they will trade or release Ahmad Brooks (Aaron Lynch will take that spot), and likely renegotiate Kap (convert salary to bonus), Willis, Stevie Johnson, and a few others. Some think they might trade Willis and clear a ton of space and replace him with Borland...but I don't see it.

Really not all that worries about the cap as Niners aren't big FA spenders anyway. Usually looking for bargains like Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner, and Antoine Bethea. They will probably lose Crabtree (I like him but not all that upset) and Iupati (doh). They'll draft replacements (especially at WR) and give guys like Marcus Martin and Brandon Thomas a shot at Iupatis job. My guess is Gore and Justin Smith come back but see less playing time to give the youth already on the roster an opportunity (Hyde, Carradine, Dial, etc).

I heard a rumor that the Cards may go after Gore.... But of course its just a rumor.... But I think he has another year left in the tank, and would compliment Ellington well. I would love to see him go against his former team

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":1p7hu7rx said:
Marvin49":1p7hu7rx said:
ringless":1p7hu7rx said:

LOL.

I heard a rumor that the Cards may go after Gore.... But of course its just a rumor.... But I think he has another year left in the tank, and would compliment Ellington well. I would love to see him go against his former team

It's always possible...but if he leaves I think he'll be a Colt. He want to go somewhere that's a contender and Arizona fits that bill if Carson can stay healthy, but Pep runs a very similar offense in Indy to SF (tho much more heavily slanted toward pass) and Chud was Franks OC in college.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin,I thought Justin Smith was retiring ..Ringless You have another post on your Palmer outside of this one,pretty much the same thing but longer .

Jville

Reaction score
Today's Cap Space numbers from Over The Cap
Seahawks ..... $25,636,543
Cardinals ...... $14,302,938
Rams .............. $8,248,245
49ers .............. $6,156,102

Everyone has cap room as of today's numbers.

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space[/urltargetblank]

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":1mxfpf6p said:

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space[/urltargetblank]

Still, not much of any space for the Whiners with a long list on unrestricted free agents:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ ... sco-49ers/

Whiners have the 4th lowest cap space available in the NFL.

1. Saints -$20.9 million (salary cap hell)
2. Patriots -$7.6 million (Revis, McCourtey, Silga, Connolly, Gostkowski, etc. unsigned)
3. Ravens +$4.7 million (tied for fewest players signed and 2nd most dead money)
4. 49ers +6.1 million (aging roster, screwed up management and coaching situation)

mikeak

Reaction score
You can convert a lot of contract salaries to signing bonuses and that way create more room. The issue is long term as you keep putting yourself in a bad spot and are limited in the flexibility you have when you think you are 1-2 players away from a Super Bowl. So I am happy to see 49ers up against the cap and hope they keep working the system to stay a bit cap strapped.

Nothing like the saints though....

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ety8f4h5 said:
Jville":ety8f4h5 said:

Still, not much of any space for the Whiners with a long list on unrestricted free agents:

2. Patriots -$7.6 million (Revis, McCourtey, Silga, Connolly, Gostkowski, etc. unsigned)
3. Ravens +$4.7 million (tied for fewest players signed and 2nd most dead money)
4. 49ers +6.1 million (aging roster, screwed up management and coaching situation)

Wow, so how do the Saints fix that mess? That is something else. 21 million over the cap. My mind is blown.. How did they manage that? Even with cuts, restructures they would have a ton of dead money, and/or money moved to later years.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I knew it was bad for the saints but I didn't realize it was that bad. Wow, they are going to have a very interesting off season. Those FA moves they made last year obviously didn't pay off...

mikeak

Reaction score
There are lots of articles from the past year about the situation the Saints are in

The one that truly surprised me is the Patriots. Bellicheck is one of the best coaches of all time. Imagine how he would be viewed if his GM didn't suck (yes I know who the GM is)

They have whiffed on draft picks a lot, they have mediocre talent in many spots. They win the Super Bowl because of the coach and the QB.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't feel sorry for the Saints.They deserve what they got coming,You sign the QB and TE to monster $$$ contracts..The teams 2 star players take up how much of the cap?This why you don't throw money at someone without doing it in a way that hurts the cap so much.People need to understand it can happen to any team even us and then you will win nothing.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
IndyHawk":995vy4ef said:
I don't feel sorry for the Saints.They deserve what they got coming,You sign the QB and TE to monster $$$ contracts..The teams 2 star players take up how much of the cap?This why you don't throw money at someone without doing it in a way that hurts the cap so much.People need to understand it can happen to any team even us and then you will win nothing.

Sounds like the situation the Lions will be in if they sign Suh. They already have a ton of their cap tied up in Stafford and Johnson. Signing Suh would make it even worse.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ringless":20b2psr5 said:
hawknation2015":20b2psr5 said:
Jville":20b2psr5 said:

Wow, so how do the Saints fix that mess? That is something else. 21 million over the cap. My mind is blown.. How did they manage that? Even with cuts, restructures they would have a ton of dead money, and/or money moved to later years.
Get Brees and Jimay to restructure. :sarcasm_on:

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":1d524d6e said:
Marvin49":1d524d6e said:
ringless":1d524d6e said:

LOL.

I don't know why anyone would sign Gore. He had most of his yards in four games and averaged forty-eight yards per game in the other twelve. I think his time has come and gone and he is of very little value on the field for any team.