Excellent article on how 40's ball was better

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/co ... lls/33143/

T
he passing game in the 1940s, and right through the 1960s, was a high-risk, high-pressure downfield attack that provided big payoff (high completion average, high TD percentage) or big disaster (low completion percentage, high INT rates). In fact, the five top seasons in NFL history in average per completion were 1947 (15.4), 1933 (15.4), 1935 (15.3), 1946 (15.0) and 1945 (15.0). (Source: profootballreference.com)

NFL teams here in 2013 averaged just 11.6 YPC, among the lowest in NFL history. In fact, the 10 worst seasons in average yards per completion have come in the 21st century. The modern passing game, as we’ve discussed a number of times, is a low-risk, high-efficiency attack.

It was much more aggressive and more exciting sport with plenty of fireworks back in the late 1940s.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I think the 2000 Rams were as close as we'll ever see to that again. They had 14.5 yards/attempt, which is right under that historic high average and above the modern average (5492 yards, 587 completions, this is NOT including sacked yards lost). If you include yards lost to sacks, that number is still higher than the modern average at 13.8.

I still think THAT was the best offense the NFL has ever seen (I mean hard to compare eras, but at least in the modern era). If you watch them, they had that exciting deep ball offense, but fewer turnovers than in the early days of the league (still, they turned it over a lot- 24th in the league). But the thing that made them so remarkable is that they had NO help from the defense. That defense was dead last in points allowed. They scored 33.8 points per game, but allowed 29.4. If they didn't have to sit and watch while other teams moved the ball up and down the field and scored, how high would that offensive point total per game be?

Kurt Warner, who started only 8 games that year due to injury, finished with 9.9 yards per ATTEMPT! His yards per completion was 14.6, just barely under the averages you listed above. Had he played the entire year, that offense would have been even more prolific.

So, the 2000 Rams offense belonged with those teams, except they didn't turn it over as much (ahahaha but they were a turnover machine by the standards of 2000). But while other teams were completing 20 yard passes on third and 25, the Rams were doing it on first down. Mike Martz had mentioned this specifically about how they had these great third and long plays in Washington that when he came to St. Louis they asked, "why don't we run these all the time?" The result was something to behold.

These guys were ridiculous. I have some of their games on DVD. It was special when it was running on all cylinders. As in, best my eyes have ever seen. Ever.

BigMeach

Reaction score
I could see the Seahawks having a very high YPC if we can get a receiver or two that dominates the long ball. With how RW can throw the long ball...

kf3339

Reaction score
This is a direct result in how the NFL has changed how defensive backfields can play the WR and TE position. It has become a hands off league which is why many prefer the league of 20+ years ago.

In many way so do I.

OP
OP
SalishHawkFan

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Being allowed to throw the ball out of bounds once you're outside the pocket is a big culprit. Statistically, it lowered the INT% league wide by .5%. That may not seem like much, but it is. As the above article noted, higher interception rates mean more scoring.

The way I see it, once a QB has gotten out of the pocket, he's a football player. Tackle him. He's got to make a play like any other player. Most of the QB injuries come inside the pocket so this isn't solving anything and is actually causing lower scores.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
5 Rings was right.

That Rams team was incredible.

Also, remember they had not completely gutted the passing defense rules yet for Manning and Brady, so the #s were even more impressive considering.

I remember Warner had something like 100 yards over the average per game vs other QBs. He routinely hit 300 yards per game when 240 was more the standard then.

Bruce and Hakim, combined with Marshall Faulk? Best offense ever. Not even close. It was basketball on grass and they were unstoppable. And Warner during that time, like him or not, was one of the best QBs I have ever witnessed.

They were the offensive equivalent of the 85 Bears, save they did it for several years. I am still baffled by how the Pats managed to beat them in that SB, even with Beli & Brady.

40s ball might have been more open, but the best offense was that Rams team.