Bills trade for Matt Cassel

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/573174023359758337[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The Bills are wheelin' and dealin'. Too bad they are still going to be mediocre. Cassel hasn't been the same since he was Brady's backup. He was a one year wonder.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1y97umeg said:
Baffles me that this guy is still getting paid to be a QB.

Not surprised. There is quite a demand for subpar QBs. Josh McCown got signed....that means anyone can get a job as a QB.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1cr8s2o7 said:

I'd take him over Clipboard Jesus any day and twice on Sunday. Whitehurst is making $2.75 million to be a backup while Cassell can be a decent game manager at about $4.5 million.

With McCoy in the fold, they won't be relying on the deep game. Cassell is just fine when you shorten the field for him. He needs playmakers who can do the work after the catch, and a solid running game and a good defense. Seems that is what the Bills are trying to build.

I think he's a good stop gap guy for the Bills. I wouldn't want him as a long term answer to anything, but he can do alright given the proper tools and as long as he isn't asked to do too much. Think of him like a Trent Dilfer 2.0

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Bills are shoring up holes so they can take BPA in the draft. Rex is doing what he said he would: building a team made for running the football.

Cassel is a game manager who should do well with McCoy in the backfield.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cassel can do very well in a play action offense. He's not great, but hes not bad either. He's Andy Dalton without downs syndrome.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3i5gpaq0 said:
If Clipboard Jesus (Charlie Whitehurst) can be paid why not Cassell? He's pretty average and if you don't ask him to do much he can do alright.

pehawk

Reaction score
I don't really get everyone down on Cassel. He's played in some fairly bizarre circumstances. He's not as bad as this thread makes it out.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":un5dngz8 said:
I don't really get everyone down on Cassel. He's played in some fairly bizarre circumstances. He's not as bad as this thread makes it out.
I'm not down on him and it's known that if he's on a team that runs first with a top end defense he can get a team into the playoffs and win a division title now and again as a bonus. But to expect him to win in the playoffs is a whole different matter.

pehawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":21h1mrb8 said:
pehawk":21h1mrb8 said:
I'm not down on him and it's known that if he's on a team that runs first with a top end defense he can get a team into the playoffs and win a division title now and again as a bonus. But to expect him to win in the playoffs is a whole different matter.

Well, I know I'm suppose to fall in line and agree with everyone else, but, I think he's a good QB. Not great, but good. Especially in the offense I expect the Bills to run. A good play action QB, GREAT WR's and a Top 5 running game. It's a good move for the Bills.

I'm not ready to turn the page on Manuel either. Benching QB's used to be part of their natural development. No reason to think Manuel cant grow from it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
pehawk":vsfepwal said:
MizzouHawkGal":vsfepwal said:
pehawk":vsfepwal said:

Well, I know I'm suppose to fall in line and agree with everyone else, but, I think he's a good QB. Not great, but good. Especially in the offense I expect the Bills to run. A good play action QB, GREAT WR's and a Top 5 running game. It's a good move for the Bills.

I'm not ready to turn the page on Manuel either. Benching QB's used to be part of their natural development. No reason to think Manuel cant grow from it.

Exactly. He fits the type of Offense Rex wants to run there. Not every QB is going to be All-Pro with eye-opening stats. You find a QB that fits what you want to do, and Cassel does.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pehawk":ez9xt14g said:
MizzouHawkGal":ez9xt14g said:
pehawk":ez9xt14g said:

I'm not completely sold that he's good, maybe decent but good I just don't know. He had a decent setup here in Kansas City and just imploded. But given Buffalo's setup and Rex Ryan's tendencies I agree that it's a good move for the Bill's and a way to see if Manuel can be salvaged without undue pressure.

pehawk

Reaction score
Cassel had a toddler in the throws of a tantrum at HC in KC.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
pehawk":1uw9xdqt said:

He couldn't beat out Christian Ponder.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":14xcdl9h said:
MizzouHawkGal":14xcdl9h said:
pehawk":14xcdl9h said:

See Matt Hasselbeck.

As for Cassell i think he's remarkably average. And imo, an average QB is one of the worst things you can have. Either give me an elite QB or a QB who's terrible enough to put you in position to try for your next elite QB.

pehawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":yjn2j2ak said:
pehawk":yjn2j2ak said:

He couldn't beat out Christian Ponder.

You really believe that? I certainly don't, neither did the players there. They didnt know why Cassel wasn't starting either.

Tical21

Reaction score
He just can't complete a high enough percentage of passes. I know he was in a little too much of a downfield attack in KC for his strengths, but if you have Jamaal Charles, you should have some open receivers. He's been pretty awful since 2010 or so. They should never have gotten rid of T-Jack.