Torrey Smith to the Niners??

2_0_6

Reaction score
With Cobb, Fitz, Marshall and now possibly Smith off the market, options are drying up.

DAVIS HSU retweeted
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider · 18m18 minutes ago
Sources indicate strong mutual interest between Torrey Smith and 49ers; nothing finalized one source called them frontrunner among suitors

rideaducati

Reaction score
Didn't the niner front office already try this experiment? It doesn't matter if they bring in Fitz, Megatron and two other future HOF wide receivers, their QB can't get them the ball on a consistent basis and can't look at more than one of them per play anyway. It will take Baalke way too long to realize the error of his ways. I hear A.J. Jenkins is available.

Veilside

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2yl9y0i9 said:
Wouldn't mind us taking a look at Stevie Johnson if this is true. Could coincide with him being cut.

I could be down with this. He has a unique way to run routes that makes him very hard to cover. Always thought he was underrated and having Kaepernick not be able to utlize him properly doesn't change that. If anyone can figure his style out and use it, it's Russ. Not sure how good he is at improvising for broken plays and run blocking though.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Looks pretty close to done.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RavensInsider/status/574718623064985601[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/574709003722211328[/tweet]

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
rideaducati":3spwuo27 said:
Didn't the niner front office already try this experiment? It doesn't matter if they bring in Fitz, Megatron and two other future HOF wide receivers, their QB can't get them the ball on a consistent basis and can't look at more than one of them per play anyway. It will take Baalke way too long to realize the error of his ways. I hear A.J. Jenkins is available.
I totally get your sentiment, but they gotta line up someone at receiver. At this point in the explosion/implosion, some new blood is needed in Ninerland. That said, if they go full face-palm and give Torrey a monster contract we can break out the Stove Top because that goose will be just about cooked.

At worst, York is tanking the team and banking the savings. At best, the FO has a vision to reboot the offense with a corps that will grow together (possibly including a new direction at QB?).

Marvin49

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":337fqec2 said:
rideaducati":337fqec2 said:
I totally get your sentiment, but they gotta line up someone at receiver. At this point in the explosion/implosion, some new blood is needed in Ninerland. That said, if they go full face-palm and give Torrey a monster contract we can break out the Stove Top because that goose will be just about cooked.

At worst, York is tanking the team and banking the savings. At best, the FO has a vision to reboot the offense with a corps that will grow together (possibly including a new direction at QB?).

Savings angle doesn't really make sense in the NFL. Salary minimum in place and the guys that are retiring have already gotten their big $$$ bonuses. Cheaper to keep them around.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lom3dtm said:
HawkAroundTheClock":2lom3dtm said:
rideaducati":2lom3dtm said:

Savings angle doesn't really make sense in the NFL. Salary minimum in place and the guys that are retiring have already gotten their big $$$ bonuses. Cheaper to keep them around.
No argument here. At the same time, York hasn't proven to be a "make sense" kind of guy.

This post from the WZ just about sums it up for me (italics added):

trooper49":2lom3dtm said:
It's looking more and more to me that we are going to miss Harbaugh more that we realize. The 49ers look like an organization trying to pick up the pieces without good leadership. We have huge doubts about the ownership, the head coach , and the QB. That's a scary hand of cards were holding. If we have a successful season and make the playoffs, I will be amazed. One thing is is for certain, we're in for a lot of changes and an interesting season one way or another. It's a dark day but at the same time I'm intrigued to see what happens.
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... ukpssbQ.99

hawksurething

Reaction score
Torry may be just a #2 WR,but he could easily be the hawks #1 WR.

At least he gets in the end zone 9 times ;)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
So far, Kaep has had his best WR connection with Crabtree and Boldin. Neither are deep burners, but are spectacular post up players.

So yeah Baalke, keep signing those speed merchants that do their best work down the field.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":18fv7wr1 said:
Didn't the niner front office already try this experiment?

Try this experiment with whom? Who knows if they have success with Smith or not, but he's totally different than anyone they've had in the past few years.

Smith is a real life accomplished deep threat to pair with Boldin, rather than creating redundancies with Boldin and Stevie Johnson or Boldin and Crabtree.

It could do nothing for them of course, but I don't see how Smith could be typified as more of the same. With Boldin, Smith, and Ellington they have, for the first time in recent memory, actually diversified they're WR corps into specialized skill sets. The possible 4th WR (Patton, assuming no draft pick) is likewise competent across those areas without excelling in any of them, meaning that in the case of injury they don't need to change what they're doing.

I dunno. It of course might not work, but I definitely understand the logic of it more than I understood what they were doing in the passing game under Harbaugh.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3c0uxh8n said:
So far, Kaep has had his best WR connection with Crabtree and Boldin. Neither are deep burners, but are spectacular post up players.

So yeah Baalke, keep signing those speed merchants that do their best work down the field.

Who are you referring to? Real question.

He tailed off in the dumpster fire that was last year, but in his first two years Kap was statistically toward (or at?) the top of the league as a deep ball QB without any real deep threats to speak of.

Same point as the one I just made, but I'm not really sure what either of you guys are alluding to, as the 9ers haven't had a player like T. Smith since....uhhh, John Taylor?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3g0hn10o said:
Scottemojo":3g0hn10o said:

He tailed off in the dumpster fire that was last year, but in his first two years Kap was statistically toward (or at?) the top of the league as a deep ball QB without any real deep threats to speak of.

Same point as the one I just made, but I'm not really sure what either of you guys are alluding to, as the 9ers haven't had a player like T. Smith since....uhhh, John Taylor?
Niner have not lacked for deep threats. Randy Moss, Lloyd, Stevie...among others. Yet, like I said, Kaep has his best connection with two of the slower spot up players, Crabs and Boldin.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^it's like you're trying to make a joke, but are actually serious.

gixx0r

Reaction score
Smith agreed to a five-year, $40 million contract with the 49ers that includes $22 million guaranteed according to sources. Hard to know how it breaks down year by year.

I could be more upset about the contract, but reuniting with Anquan should help his game and as Popeye referenced, this is the most diversified the WR corps has been in a while.

Considering their recent history with drafting WRs, and the fact that Smith is only 26, this is the first decent news for the 49ers in recent memory. I can't imagine they spend a 1st round pick on a WR now so from that angle, they can address holes on the defensive side (d-line and secondary).

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":19r3wz3m said:
Popeyejones":19r3wz3m said:
Scottemojo":19r3wz3m said:

Niner have not lacked for deep threats. Randy Moss, Lloyd, Stevie...among others. Yet, like I said, Kaep has his best connection with two of the slower spot up players, Crabs and Boldin.

Seriously? You really think of Stevie and Lloyd as "deep threats" at this point in their careers? Even Randy was much slower in SF.

The Niners biggest deep threat for several years has been Vernon Davis, and he was a shadow of himself last year after he hurt his back.

Smith is the first legit deep threat Kap has ever had.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":21b6nuq8 said:
Scottemojo":21b6nuq8 said:
Popeyejones":21b6nuq8 said:
Scottemojo":21b6nuq8 said:

Seriously? You really think of Stevie and Lloyd as "deep threats" at this point in their careers? Even Randy was much slower in SF.

The Niners biggest deep threat for several years has been Vernon Davis, and he was a shadow of himself last year after he hurt his back.

Smith is the first legit deep threat Kap has ever had.

With Kaepernick throwing the ball, he's gonna need his speed to make up for Kaep's inaccuracy.