49ers LB Patrick Willis & Justin Smith to Retire

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I'd give it another hour or two before nailing the coffin all the way shut.

@MaioccoCSN: #49ers LB Patrick Willis, 30, is strongly considering retirement, according to sources and report.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^Maiocco has more sources within the org than anyone else reporting on this (Yahoo and Florio).

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting Willis to retire, but if Maiocco is saying it's not a done deal yet, I'm saying it's worth giving it an hour or two before concluding definitively that he has retired.

Largent80

Reaction score
Being able to walk for the rest of your life is way more important than playing football, he had a nice career.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Wow, amazing player and an amazing career. Stand up guy. Wish him all the best in the future.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Showing up as "Breaking news" on NFL network.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1tatgro4 said:
^^^Maiocco has more sources within the org than anyone else reporting on this (Yahoo and Florio).

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting Willis to retire, but if Maiocco is saying it's not a done deal yet, I'm saying it's worth giving it an hour or two before concluding definitively that he has retired.

Maiocco was just on the Radio. He said his own "strongly considering" is an understatement. Looks a lot like it's going to happen.

He also had been saying he didn't think Justin would retire but amended that today to say that he now thinks he will. The Dockett signing makes a bit more sense now.

Sad, sad day by the bay. Might be seeing Gore, Willis, and the Cowboy leave in a 48 hour span.

It's gonna be a very, very different team next year.

drdiags

Reaction score
Definitely was surprised to see this topic starting to show up on Twitter. I figure he would recover and put in another 4-5 years. I gather it is his toe that is giving him grief. Would be a tough hit but part of the game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Thanks, Marvin.

FWIW Barrows is going with the "strongly considering" too, but I didn't hear the Maiocco interview so that's definitely good to know.

drdiags":gmnwd68a said:
I gather it is his toe that is giving him grief.

Maybe not:

Willis has experienced a religious awakening of sorts, according to a source, and has decided to hang up his cleats as a result.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/source- ... awakening/

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Even atheist Hawk fans will be thanking Jesus today.

drdiags

Reaction score

Marvin49

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":3opsmra9 said:
Justin Smith & Willis gone on the same day after Frank Gore...damn.

...and Mike Iupati just agreed with the Jets.

Wow. Rough day for the Red and Gold.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2zqmj202 said:
Willis has experienced a religious awakening of sorts, according to a source, and has decided to hang up his cleats as a result.

If I had to be around the dysfunctionality of the Whiners orginisation I'd try and find a higher power too.

Weadoption

Reaction score
If there is an arm lengthening steroid I want Borland to take some right now.