Julius Thomas to sign with Jacksonville

SeatownJay

Reaction score
There goes one of the options at tight end.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PostBroncos/status/575091447545872384[/tweet]

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Sounds like Seattle really wanted him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575100325213810688[/tweet]

Bummer.

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Would've been a sexy addition, but I really think he is a finesse player more suited for Holmgren's Seahawks than this iteration.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
If I was a Hawks fan I'd be popping champagne to that news.

Even before the recent stories about him came out, he's incredibly overrated. He has played in one of the top passing offenses in the history of the NFL that has turned also-rans like Eric Decker and Emmanuel Sanders into pro-bowlers, and even in that offense, and at the TE spot with a QB who is entirely dependent on the short and intermediate passing game at this point in his career, save for touchdowns, he's never done anything that's remotely that special. And touchdowns of course are flukey, one of the least predictable stats from year to year. The Hawks dodged a major bullet on that one, IMO. I was surprised they were even interested.

marko358

Reaction score
Popeyejones":30tks5aq said:

Even before the recent stories about him came out, he's incredibly overrated. He has played in one of the top passing offenses in the history of the NFL that has turned also-rans like Eric Decker and Emmanuel Sanders into pro-bowlers, and even in that offense, and at the TE spot with a QB who is entirely dependent on the short and intermediate passing game at this point in his career, save for touchdowns, he's never done anything that's remotely that special. And touchdowns of course are flukey, one of the least predictable stats from year to year. The Hawks dodged a major bullet on that one, IMO. I was surprised they were even interested.
I fully agree with you on this one.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/575110773996814336[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/575111133402562560[/tweet]

Denver never wanted him back (or couldn't afford him).

Goes along with my theory that Seattle knew last October Denver wasn't intending to re-sign Thomas and gave em a call to see if they would trade for Percy. Would have allowed both clubs to reevaluate after the season.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Whatever your personal view is on Thomas -- the Seahawks clearly wanted him.

That's good enough for me to think he's not as bad as some people believe.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/575101597102948352[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/575108124576632834[/tweet]

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I really would like us to sign a TE, an impact TE would help this offense immensely.........granted that is what was said when we signed Zach Miller and we all saw how he was more of a 3rd tackle then a TE.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3i473dlj said:

I agree with you man. Thomas didn't like to block, and wouldn't play if he was dinged up a little bit, which all players are during the season. I think we dodged a bullet here.

We'll find out. If he's all that, he'll get at least 8 TD's this year. The defenses in the AFC South aren't all that great, so he shouldn't have too much of a problem with it.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But I don't think I will be.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I would have been pissed if we had signed Julius Thomas for 9 million. We obviously need a TE who can also block and that is not him. I would be happy if we ended up resigning Zack Miller down the road.

drcool

Reaction score
This year with all the cap space they have Jacksonville will be willing to pay a bit more than everyone else. They won't be stupid about it but if they can pay a guy $9 mil a year when everyone else is offering $8 mil they will be able to make an impact in free agency.

Players won't go to the Jags for less than other teams like New England, Denver, Seattle, etc. and they definitely won't go there to chase a ring but if it is a choice between somewhere like Washington or San Diego or Minnesota or another middle of the road team I think more and more players will like with Gus Bradley and Shad Khan are doing here in Jacksonville.

Julius Thomas is a good addition for Jacksonville. He is a big name that the Jaguars needed to keep the fans happy. I don't think he is worth top tier tight end money but it shows the fans they are willing to make a splash when needed.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
drcool":1xp731zz said:
This year with all the cap space they have Jacksonville will be willing to pay a bit more than everyone else. They won't be stupid about it but if they can pay a guy $9 mil a year when everyone else is offering $8 mil they will be able to make an impact in free agency.

Players won't go to the Jags for less than other teams like New England, Denver, Seattle, etc. and they definitely won't go there to chase a ring but if it is a choice between somewhere like Washington or San Diego or Minnesota or another middle of the road team I think more and more players will like with Gus Bradley and Shad Khan are doing here in Jacksonville.

Julius Thomas is a good addition for Jacksonville. He is a big name that the Jaguars needed to keep the fans happy. I don't think he is worth top tier tight end money but it shows the fans they are willing to make a splash when needed.

Like Seattle, Florida has no State Income Tax too. That does play a part and is a big advantage when you are already offering contracts with more money attached. The Jags can offer more money outright, but it is even MORE money when you factor in taxes.