Tomsula's bizarre interview

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Jim Tomsula, the San Francisco 49ers new coach, went on Comcast in the Bay Area and … well, this happened. He sounds like pretty much what you’d expect a line coach to sound like. For the first :20 he doesn’t really say a word, he just sort of grunts and makes noises as if he were a farm animal, and shakes his head a lot."

LOL! Don't watch the video, just listen to the audio :lol:

http://thebiglead.com/2015/01/16/jim-to ... view-game/

kearly

Reaction score
There was a thread on this interview when it happened two months ago, IIRC.

I genuinely wonder if Baalke bothered to give Tomsula a real job interview. Because I think if he did...

Tomsula has always struck me as an 'opposite' hire. Unfortunately, the guy he's the opposite of is a damn good coach.

original poster

Reaction score
He's no doubt in a bit of a panic, I don't envision him lasting long in Santa Clara.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
There was a TON of coverage about this months ago when it happened. There was even a long thread about it here at .net.

It was really bad for sure. He has been MUCH better since then (not that he could have gotten much worse), and much closer to the guy the beat reporters have always described.

It's a small one of many reasons why you don't promote lifetime positional coaches to head coaches; they simply don't have the training and comfort to interact with media, and have to learn as they go.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1mi4gvxz said:
There was a TON of coverage about this months ago when it happened. There was even a long thread about it here at .net.

It was really bad for sure. He has been MUCH better since then (not that he could have gotten much worse), and much closer to the guy the beat reporters have always described.

It's a small one of many reasons why you don't promote lifetime positional coaches to head coaches; they simply don't have the training and comfort to interact with media, and have to learn as they go.

Yeah...kinda funny to me that peeps are drudging up stuff from several months ago to comment on.

Look, Jim Tomsula admitted to tanking his first interviews, admitted to not getting any sleep the night before, and has been far better since.

When Darnell Dockett signed he said it was because he said he loved the guy. Tomsula would always talk to Dockett after games when he was a Cardinal. Jarryd Hayne had written off the 49ers as an option until he found out it was Tomsula who got the job. Justin Smith is working hard to play one more year to be able to play for Jim. He once referred to Tomsula as the best coach he's ever played for. Brian Baldinger has been making a case for Tomsula to get a head coaching gig for YEARS. Most of the team has come out and spoken about how much they love the guy and tweeted how happy they were when it happened. Hell, even EX-49ers, some of whom left under less than ideal circumstances tweeted out their support of the move (Ricky Jean-Francois, LaMichael James). Mike Martz when interviewed was asked if he'd be willing to be an OC for Tomsula. His response was that "I'd go get Jim Tomsulas coffee". MAD respect for the man...

...so this running commentary about how he didn't do well in the interview and how that has some correlation to his coaching ability is and always has been ludicrous. One of the best coaches in NFL history (Belichick) is one of the worst interviews.

I have no idea if Tomsula will be great or terrible, but peeps who keep linking back to old interviews from the day he was hired are succeeding only in making themselves look foolish. Nobody within the NFL has had a negative word to say about him as a coach. Very much the opposite in fact. Despite fan and media reactions to him, people in the know in the NFL have referred to him as a GREAT coach. Not good...GREAT. It isn't just the 49ers either. Until now, Tomsula has been one of the men at the NFL combine to take D-Linemen through drills. Despite what peeps think, Tomsula is a HIGHLY respected coach in NFL circles. That may not be popular to hear right now, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Will it translate to HC? No idea whatsoever. Could flame out in dramatic fashion. Anyone acting like they already know though that he'll be a terrible coach are simply making stuff up.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Wow, I missed it all. Late to the party...again. Cracked me up though. His other interviews are fine, probably just the guy interviewing him or he had an off day, but funny none the less.

I still don't think he's going to be an above average head coach though. Fabulous line coach, but I just don't see the kind of fire that it takes to be an NFL head coach.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Painful.

It's going to be an interesting season.

Oh BTW, here is the HC's astute breakdown of his QB: "He's a great dude. He's a real good dude. He's a good teammate. He's a neat cat. Colin's going to do real well."

Marvin49

Reaction score
HunnyBadger":2mwf7zq6 said:
Painful.

It's going to be an interesting season.

Oh BTW, here is the HC's astute breakdown of his QB: "He's a great dude. He's a real good dude. He's a good teammate. He's a neat cat. Colin's going to do real well."

Bill Belichick breakdown of what went wrong in 41-14 loss to Chiefs:

"Were on the Cincinnatti".

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marv didn't Justin Smith retire with Borland and Willis?

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":12ngvqnn said:
Marv didn't Justin Smith retire with Borland and Willis?

No, not yet.

It was reported early that he'd retired and he never did. Then it was reported that he was leaning toward retirement when Willis retired...but he still hasn't.

He's been training with the team in the weight room every day. According to York, Baalke, and Tomsula, he still hasn't decided.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Ok well if he plays that D might not be that bad after all.

Marvin49

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3ede4ihy said:
Ok well if he plays that D might not be that bad after all.

Adding Dockett to the rotation helps mediate the loss of McDonald, Tank Carradine and Quinton Dial will get more playing time, They get Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey back, they FINALLY get Navorro Bowman back, Lynch is a year older, they get Aldon all year....

....really not as bad as advertised in the media.

Losing Willis and Borland is a punch in the gut...but they both played the same position. Wilhoite could fill in there, maybe a signee (EJ Henderson, Lance Briggs?) or maybe a draft pick (current draft crush is Denzel Perryman).

Corner is the spot to watch. They get Brock back as a starter and Ward as the nickel, but the other starter is a question. They have a number of young guys that are interesting but I'd guess that's a target in the draft.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Popeyejones":plq4edb5 said:

This is one of the really cool things about Pete. He gives his guys opportunities to get in front of media to learn how to do it. He has them do mock job interviews in front of the rest of the staff so they can get feedback and improve.