Pete Carroll: Eagles' Chip Kelly knows what he's doing

Jville

Reaction score
"I think the people in Philadelphia should be very excited about the changes that are coming," Carroll said this week at the NFL Annual Meeting, via CSN Philly. "Maybe they can't see it -- the vision is not clear to them. Chip knows what he's doing. It's going to be interesting to see."

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481972/article/pete-carroll-eagles-chip-kelly-knows-what-hes-doing[/urltargetblank]

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes he knows what he's doing he's tanking the season for draft position. That's how it looks to me anyway unless Bradford can somehow be great after two major knee injuries when he was never great prior to them in the NFL.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2hsxphph said:
Yes he knows what he's doing he's tanking the season for draft position. That's how it looks to me anyway unless Bradford can somehow be great after two major knee injuries when he was never great prior to them in the NFL.

He gave up draft compensation for bradford, not to mention there are a thousand better ways to tank then trade draft comp for a QB and overpaying for a top RB. And other than Suck for Luck people don't tank in the NFL

Tical21

Reaction score
Bradford is going to make Kelly look like a genius. He was the best college spread QB I've ever seen. Also the best QB I've ever seen play at Husky Stadium, and I had season tickets for over 20 years. Got rid of it very quickly and very accurately, and was an underrated athlete. Had awful coaching, lines and receivers in St. Louis. Losing Maclin will hurt, but I think that machine is going to run just fine.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Tical21":20z9c8cj said:
Bradford is going to make Kelly look like a genius. He was the best college spread QB I've ever seen. Also the best QB I've ever seen play at Husky Stadium, and I had season tickets for over 20 years. Got rid of it very quickly and very accurately, and was an underrated athlete. Had awful coaching, lines and receivers in St. Louis. Losing Maclin will hurt, but I think that machine is going to run just fine.

As much as I loved Maclin, 11M for him was just a severe overpayment. The Eagles will draft someone like Nelson Agholor who will replace Maclin. Partner that with Jordan Matthews & Josh Huff going into Year 2 and they'll be just fine.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I like Bradford on the Eagles too, although the risk of course is his ability to stay healthy.

And I think Chip's moves, aren't totally insane.

I think he has already shown that on offense his scheme is king and the parts are fairly interchangeable.

He got the same production out of Maclin that he did out of Jackson, and everyone thinks Jackson is the superior player. By the end of the season he was also getting as good production out of Matthews as he had gotten out of Maclin.

Chris Polk and an early 30s Darren Sproles were basically able to perform on par with Lesean McCoy.

He got decent production out of Foles, and career- best production out of a scrub like Sanchez.

I'm still a little confused by the DeMarco Murray signing, but overall, I kinda get it, as a strategy at least.

The troubling part for Eagles fans shouldn't be the strategy IMO, it should be that he's overpaying while doing it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
IMO, the Eagles will look great for much of the regular season, and fall back to earth in the playoffs. His system is a hard adjustment for a DC mid season, but when the temperature drops and the defenses are playoff caliber he gets exposed for the finesse style.
I think Pete is just being fellow coach nice.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
volsunghawk":1t5na9eu said:
Scottemojo":1t5na9eu said:

Either that or he believes fully in the concept of overhauling a roster to fill it with guys you want, even if the moves are unpopular. 2010/2011 seem to support that idea.

Yeah, but unlike Kelly, Pete didn't try to get his hands on lots of guys who used to play for him in college. Which was my biggest fear. Pete just needed athletes for a pretty athletically barren team, he is an athlete before scheme guy. Kelly seems to trust his scheme above all else. Minor difference, filling a roster with your guys is your premise, which is no doubt true in this case.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Kelly's biggest issue is his obsession with a scheme that forfeits TOP, puts too much pressure on his defense, and leads to a multitude of quick three and outs. He is a Top 3 talent evaluator and utilizer of talent, but until he learns what is really holding him back (it's all about the ball) he will never be a championship-winning coach.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3gllj7su said:
Kelly's biggest issue is his obsession with a scheme that forfeits TOP, puts too much pressure on his defense, and leads to a multitude of quick three and outs. He is a Top 3 talent evaluator and utilizer of talent, but until he learns what is really holding him back (it's all about the ball) he will never be a championship-winning coach.

I think Kelly learned his lesson last year, which is why he churned the roster over so much and got a more direct traditional runner in Murray that can pound the rock..........and a more dynamic QB in Bradford that can run his inside out offense much better than Foles.

Not saying Kelly is scrapping his scheme entirely, but I betcha we see him pull the reigns back on running a bazillion plays a game tiring out his defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":wc0ntrq0 said:
IMO, the Eagles will look great for much of the regular season, and fall back to earth in the playoffs. His system is a hard adjustment for a DC mid season, but when the temperature drops and the defenses are playoff caliber he gets exposed for the finesse style.

I agree with everything except the last line. I just think that a coach who can get his team to 10+ wins every single year in the national football league is basically a top five coach in this league. Finesse teams are at a disadvantage in the playoffs, but it's such a short season that every now and then a finesse team gets lucky and earns a ring.

Pete's model is better, and I doubt he fears Kelly much relative to guys like Arians, but I think he has genuine respect for Kelly.