Nick Foles: The Rams new quarterback

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He struggled with handling the pressure while playing behind the Eagles' offensive line. And they had one of the better lines in the league. Rams' offensive line is not built for pass pro, so this could pose a unique challenge for the immobile Foles. He's sill probably a slight upgrade over Bradford because his accuracy is so much better when he has a clean pocket.

Rex

Reaction score
Rams plan to be a rushing offense so a lot of pressure should be removed from Foles. Definite upgrade from Bradford.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
reminds me of a better Charlie Whitehurst...sees pressure and folds like a cheap accordion...

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
Foles will have St. Louis’ leading receiver in 2014 as a target, as the team re-signed Kenny Britt. One of the attributes the wide receiver brought to the offense was his leadership, which Fisher said didn’t surprise him because of his familiarity with the receiver from their shared time with the Titans. Britt set a new career high with 48 receptions, and led the team with 748 yards receiving.

“The production didn’t surprise me,” Fisher said. “I can kind of share the same issue Kenny does, and that’s we think he can be better. I think he can do better. He thinks he can be better. He thinks he can be more productive. He’s looking forward to the offensive changes. I think, yeah, we should see a lot more out of Kenny this year.”

Fisher didn’t divulge much about those offensive changes, other than saying that the team would like to get rid of the ball quicker. But in the evaluation period, the head coach said the staff concluded that bringing back Lance Kendricks was a high priority. Lo and behold, he also re-signed with St. Louis.

Fisher Talks Offensive Roster Moves link >>>> [urltargetblank]http://www.stlouisrams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Fisher-Talks-Offensive-Roster-Moves/6eb9cbf9-0083-4645-826d-59105cc64ea5[/urltargetblank]

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I'm mixed on Foles.

Thrilled with the trade, but I wouldn't pass on Mariota if he falls to 10.

He was significantly worse last year because the Eagles Oline was a mess. What happened to the Eagles Oline doesn't often happen, so I'd like to think he'll be playing behind a better Oline next year. His weapons on offense are worse, and for all this talk about the Rams being a running team, we don't run the ball very well - definitely won't run it as well as Philly did.

But our defense should be much better than Philly's ever was. Hopefully this results in better field position and makes Foles' job a little easier.

All we really need from the QB position is a guy that can hit the deep ball, and convert third downs. We don't need an elite QB.

Can Foles convert third downs? 3rd down passer rating in 2013 was 107, 2014 was 71.

If we get 71, we're going 8-8. If we get 107, we could be 12-4.

Somewhere in the middle should get us 10-6.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Agree w Ramsfan128.

And, to the OP: for me the simple fact is that our QB is no longer either B or someone who gets excuses because he is backing up B. We are NO LONGER waiting for B. That is the amazing thing. It's been a long time just waiting. Now, the Rams move forward.

If we can be patient during all of the wasted time, we can be patient now to find the answer. Maybe it's Foles, maybe it's who we draft, maybe it's.....who knows. It is pretty exciting that it's not B.

Rams OLine will be better than Foles had last year, the D will be much better than F had last year.....the running game while not at the level of McCoy and Sproles is still used strongly as a game plan that will make it so he is not always throwing.

This Rams team can win. As to the intangibles - B had none. So, if Foles can even kind of assert on field leadership, confidence and a winning attitude, then I think Rams will be a much better team added to what is already built. B had none of that (IMO).

Been trying to read up on him, will do more - so far, very happy with him as the Rams' QB and hopefully a good draft pick behind him.

And, Rams OLine is not going to be so bad as seems to be the perception. Might be the best we've had in a long time.

Rex

Reaction score
Ramfan128":7asokivl said:
I'm mixed on Foles.

He was significantly worse last year because the Eagles Oline was a mess. What happened to the Eagles Oline doesn't often happen, so I'd like to think he'll be playing behind a better Oline next year. His weapons on offense are worse, and for all this talk about the Rams being a running team, we don't run the ball very well - definitely won't run it as well as Philly did.

But our defense should be much better than Philly's ever was. Hopefully this results in better field position and makes Foles' job a little easier.

All we really need from the QB position is a guy that can hit the deep ball, and convert third downs. We don't need an elite QB.

Can Foles convert third downs? 3rd down passer rating in 2013 was 107, 2014 was 71.

Foles was turning his season around significantly in the games before he was injured. What I like is his ability to overcome a 4th quarter deficit.

You're not impressed with the play of Tre Mason? A subpar O line should still be able to run block. The O line is a huge mess and can only hope for the best.

Defense should keep games close in the 2nd half so Foles or Zuerlein can get a shot at winning.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":11osvhuw said:
I'm mixed on Foles.

So.. worst case scenario you are 8-8, best case 12-4?

Optimism...

The Rams haven't been 8-8 since 2006 and haven't had a winning record since 2003.

Is Nick Foles really the missing piece?

Rex

Reaction score
Not being on IR is better than Bradford.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Reality is Rams' porous OL + Foles' deer-in-the-headlights against pressure is going to be a mess against the better defenses. With time to throw, Foles has shown both in college and with the Eagles that he can be deadly accurate. But when the coverage is tighter and there is a rusher barreling down on him, he is one of the most inept QBs in the league. In that way, he is similar to Colin Kaepernick. Foles tends to be much better in the 4th Q (when he has time) while Kaepernick is in a different stratosphere as an athlete. All things being equal, I would take Kaepernick over Foles.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rex":1r58dnc1 said:

I seem to recall seeing a lot of Mark Sanchez playing for the Eagles last season even after Nick was cleared to play. You're getting your hopes up for a guy that sat on the bench behind Mark Sanchez and missed ONLY half of last season. I guess half a season would be better than what Bradford has been able to do.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3mwob1lx said:
Reality is Rams' porous OL + Foles' deer-in-the-headlights against pressure is going to be a mess against the better defenses. With time to throw, Foles has shown both in college and with the Eagles that he can be deadly accurate. But when the coverage is tighter and there is a rusher barreling down on him, he is one of the most inept QBs in the league. In that way, he is similar to Colin Kaepernick. Foles tends to be much better in the 4th Q (when he has time) while Kaepernick is in a different stratosphere as an athlete. All things being equal, I would take Kaepernick over Foles.

I wouldn't. Look at what each of them were able to do with good offensive lines. A QB is supposed to be able to pass the ball and only one of these guys can pass and it isn't Kaepernick.

Rex

Reaction score
rideaducati":1h58m41b said:
Rex":1h58m41b said:

I seem to recall seeing a lot of Mark Sanchez playing for the Eagles last season even after Nick was cleared to play. You're getting your hopes up for a guy that sat on the bench behind Mark Sanchez and missed ONLY half of last season. I guess half a season would be better than what Bradford has been able to do.

Well, yes.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qe94xf2 said:
Ramfan128":3qe94xf2 said:
I'm mixed on Foles.

So.. worst case scenario you are 8-8, best case 12-4?

Optimism...

The Rams haven't been 8-8 since 2006 and haven't had a winning record since 2003.

Is Nick Foles really the missing piece?

If we get Nick Foles play from last year, yes I believe we'll be 8-8 at worst. The last two years we've only won 13 games, but with bad backup QBs playing. Offense isn't that talented, so I'd expect a backup for Philly to play better than a backup for the Rams.

I believe had Bradford played every game the last two years, that we would have won at least 9 games both years. I think Foles is an upgrade, so if he stays healthy, we will break .500

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawknation2015":21osqx7m said:

I wouldn't call the Rams Oline "porous". They had good games and bad games last year, and though incomplete right now, I'm sure it will be addressed and be improved over last year.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Rex":x6pyxoxt said:
Ramfan128":x6pyxoxt said:
I'm mixed on Foles.

Foles was turning his season around significantly in the games before he was injured. What I like is his ability to overcome a 4th quarter deficit.

You're not impressed with the play of Tre Mason? A subpar O line should still be able to run block. The O line is a huge mess and can only hope for the best.

Defense should keep games close in the 2nd half so Foles or Zuerlein can get a shot at winning.

I was impressed with Mason. The Oline should be improved and we should be able to run the ball better next year.....but he's no LeSean McCoy

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":y8d4z9kw said:
hawknation2015":y8d4z9kw said:

I wouldn't. Look at what each of them were able to do with good offensive lines. A QB is supposed to be able to pass the ball and only one of these guys can pass and it isn't Kaepernick.

That's hard to say with Foles because, unlike Kaepernick, he has never started more than ten games in a season. His inability to deal with pressure (neither eluding it nor negating it with a quick release) means he is at a constant risk for injuries.

Kaepernick is much more durable. Foles is the more accurate passer, I agree. But under pressure, they are equally terrible. All things being equal, I would give the edge to Kaepernick because of his durability and as a far superior ground threat.

Now, if I was guaranteed Green Bay or Dallas's OL, I would be more tempted to pick Foles due to Kaepernick's track record of total incompetence at the end of games.

It should be said that neither is close to being a complete QB. Makes me thankful once again for Russell.