Geoffrey: Jeff Garcia on the sad state of the 49ers

Jville

Reaction score
AR-150409928.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

As an outsider, I find this potential for 49er history to repeat itself ..... to be the dominant 49er theme for 2015.

“I see a lot of similarities,” Garcia said of the Harbaugh and Mariucci dismissals. “Mariucci went through a situation where he had an older football team, had to turn over a lot of players. All of a sudden we were a playoff team again. “Went to back-to-back playoff years. Get into the second round, lose to eventual Super Bowl champion Tampa Bay, and then they fire him. There were a lot of questions as to why.” ......
..... “(General manager) Trent Baalke and (owner) Jed York together, teaming up against Harbaugh,” Garcia began. “At my time it was Mariucci against (then general manager) Terry Donahue and Dr. (John) York [Jed’s father]. For whatever reason they let Steve go, they brought in Dennis Erickson ... and two years later they’re getting rid of Dennis and going on to a number of different head coaches, a number of different changes. None of those worked out until Harbaugh was brought into the program.”
Coaching turnover has been followed by player turnover, which will be followed by leadership turmoil.

“You’re going to have to plug in new leaders. Plug in a new philosophy with a new defensive coordinator,” Garcia said. “Things that, in this division, the NFC West, which is the toughest division in football ... where do you find the Niners? It will be interesting to see how they deal with the situation that they’ve created.”

Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.times-standard.com/sports/20150403/geoffrey-jeff-garcia-on-the-sad-state-of-the-49ers[/urltargetblank]

ColinSackorpick

Reaction score
Seriously, why even post something like this? Jeff Garcia is not approved.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ColinSackorpick":31c0tl82 said:
I was going to ask if this reporter is on the Marvin approved list.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5u7300d6 said:
ColinSackorpick":5u7300d6 said:
Hey, that's my line!!!!! 8)

sc85sis

Reaction score
Seahawks fans should be sending thanks out to God, Mother Earth, the universe, whomever/whatever every day that we have Paul, Pete and John. Enjoy this run for however long it lasts.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
sc85sis":kq6x38yn said:
Seahawks fans should be sending thanks out to God, Mother Earth, the universe, whomever/whatever every day that we have Paul, Pete and John. Enjoy this run for however long it lasts.
Interesting. The Seahawk Apostles. Never saw it before.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":2d89yh1d said:
As an outsider, I find this potential for 49er history to repeat itself ..... to be the dominant 49er theme for 2015.

Yep. I'd guess it's an even more common refrain among insiders, or at least insiders of a certain age who remember the ins and outs of the 80s, 90s, and 2Ks for the team.

I don't think what Garcia's saying is atypical or necessarily wrong, but he might have some of his own motivation to be saying this publicly rather than just thinking it: he was lobbying really hard to be hired onto the 9ers staff as QB coach, and even took it to the media trying to work with Kaepernick in the offseason when the F.O. didn't hire him (Kap ended up deciding to work with Warner rather than Garcia).

Marvin49

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":10c13759 said:
ColinSackorpick":10c13759 said:

Dunno why you guys always have to ask.

Only guys not on approved list are Tim Kawakami and Grant and Lowell Cohn. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zoa0fucp said:
Jville":zoa0fucp said:

Yep. I'd guess it's an even more common refrain among insiders, or at least insiders of a certain age who remember the ins and outs of the 80s, 90s, and 2Ks for the team.

I don't think what Garcia's saying is atypical or necessarily wrong, but he might have some of his own motivation to be saying this publicly rather than just thinking it: he was lobbying really hard to be hired onto the 9ers staff as QB coach, and even took it to the media trying to work with Kaepernick in the offseason when the F.O. didn't hire him (Kap ended up deciding to work with Warner rather than Garcia).

Yeah....Jeff might be sayin' that stuff now, but when interviewed lately he was asked what he'd do first to help Kaepernick his response was "hire Jeff Garcia as his QB Coach".

Who knows though...a lot happened the year Mariucci was fired. Mariaucci was let go, but they also lost Terrell Owens, Jeff Garcia, Garrison Hearst and several more in short order. The entire team was gutted because it was in impossible salary cap hell. Not to mention the guy they hired to replace mooch was everyone's favorite ex-Seattle coach Dennis Erickson. The real instrument of failure in that regime was Bill Walsh's hand-picked successor Terry Donahue who convinced John York that Mariucci was the problem.

Now, is there some parallel? Sure. If you believe that Baalke is the real problem and he forced Harbaugh out, you expect Tomsula to be just as bad a coach as Erickson and you believe they'll lose just about every player on offense with Talent, then I could see the viewpoint that it's all happening again.

Me? I have no idea. I tend to think Baalke is a far better GM than he gets credit for by Seattle fans and a FAR, FAR, FAR superior GM to Terry Donahue. The rest? I guess we'll find out soon.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Don't the Niners have a bunch of picks this year?

I could see Balke reloading the roster with some young talent if he drafts wisely. So I'm not quite sold on their complete demise just yet.

This is the NFL, good teams rarely stay down for long.........and the Niners are a good team. Sure they might lose 9-10 games next year, but I could also see them winning 8-9 and if they draft strong be back in contention in a year or two.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2gda34nc said:

I could see Balke reloading the roster with some young talent if he drafts wisely. So I'm not quite sold on their complete demise just yet.

This is the NFL, good teams rarely stay down for long.........and the Niners are a good team. Sure they might lose 9-10 games next year, but I could also see them winning 8-9 and if they draft strong be back in contention in a year or two.

They have 9 picks, not as many as the last two years.

I kinda think that unless somebody unexpectedly falls to them at 15 they'll trade down and pick up more 2nd or 3rd round picks if possible.

This is the year we see if Baalke is as good as Niner fans hope he is. Not just this draft, but the stockpiling he's been doing over the last two years. A lot of those players are going to see playing time because the guys ahead of them are gone or will be playing less. In particular, the players who were injured when drafted who will get their shots.

DE Tank Carradine (actually will be his third year but Tomsula recently said it was an important year for him and he expected him to play), OG Brandon Thomas, CB Keith Reaser, CB Kenneth Acker, DE Kaleb Ramsey, and FB Trey Millard.

On top of that all the young players they have brought in who have been sitting behind vets now gone. They've taken 23 players in the last 2 years (tho two have already retired...lol). Time to see if Baalke knew what he was doing. Several players I want to see get more time. The aforementioned redshirts, plus TE Vance McDonald, WR Quinton Patton, DE/NT Quinton Dial, CB/S Jimmie Ward, RB Carlos Hyde, C/OG Marcus Martin, WR Bruce Ellington, CB Dontae Johnson, and OLB Aaron Lynch.

Surely they won't all be great or even good players, but this year they should get opportunities. We'll see what happens.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2tskb52k said:
sc85sis":2tskb52k said:
Interesting. The Seahawk Apostles. Never saw it before.

Me either.

That's a religion I can get behind! :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sc85sis":14smtuup said:
Or 3/4ths of the original Beatles .

sc85sis

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2i3zwzdd said:
sc85sis":2i3zwzdd said:
Or 3/4ths of the original Beatles .
Yeah, but Pete Best got nixed for Ringo. Maybe Pete can be a combo as he and the Hawks win more rings!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":1mo3hnx4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1mo3hnx4 said:

They have 9 picks, not as many as the last two years.

I kinda think that unless somebody unexpectedly falls to them at 15 they'll trade down and pick up more 2nd or 3rd round picks if possible.

This is the year we see if Baalke is as good as Niner fans hope he is. Not just this draft, but the stockpiling he's been doing over the last two years. A lot of those players are going to see playing time because the guys ahead of them are gone or will be playing less. In particular, the players who were injured when drafted who will get their shots.

DE Tank Carradine (actually will be his third year but Tomsula recently said it was an important year for him and he expected him to play), OG Brandon Thomas, CB Keith Reaser, CB Kenneth Acker, DE Kaleb Ramsey, and FB Trey Millard.

On top of that all the young players they have brought in who have been sitting behind vets now gone. They've taken 23 players in the last 2 years (tho two have already retired...lol). Time to see if Baalke knew what he was doing. Several players I want to see get more time. The aforementioned redshirts, plus TE Vance McDonald, WR Quinton Patton, DE/NT Quinton Dial, CB/S Jimmie Ward, RB Carlos Hyde, C/OG Marcus Martin, WR Bruce Ellington, CB Dontae Johnson, and OLB Aaron Lynch.

Surely they won't all be great or even good players, but this year they should get opportunities. We'll see what happens.

Shut up Marvin.

At this point, you are in wait and see mode. Expectations, roster spots, draft picks or whatever, you should be priming yourself for a long, painful year and I actually have more optimism than many Niner fans. I am just thinking that you are wasting your energy providing that much detail. Just sit back, provide short answers and pray that the Niners get 2011 type bounces all year long.

Someone had to say it... There is just a lot of tongue-in-ass going on here with you lately. It has to stop or at least slow down. By the start of the season you will be a 12 and all that.

And no, I didn't read your post. I just saw a bunch of names that really amount to nothing with the exception that they have played behind people in limited duty. :) Now get your shine box and head back to your fame amongst the challenged. The DenialZone