Steelers Great Troy Polamalu Retires

lsheldon

Reaction score
Troy Polamalu called Dan Rooney on Thursday night to inform him he was retiring from football.

The Steelers had asked Polamalu to retire in February, but he resisted until the realization came upon him in church this week, the Holy Week of the Greek Orthodox faith.

"It's all about family," said Polamalu in a phone interview. "I live here in Pittsburgh now, and since the end of the season I've had a chance to enjoy my family on a level I never had before. It was awesome."

Polamalu retires after 12 seasons, in which the eight-time Pro Bowler and four-time first-team All-Pro played in 158 regular-season games, 15 playoff games and three Super Bowls. In those games, the Steelers' strong safety made 710 tackles, intercepted 35 passes, forced 13 fumbles, recovered seven fumbles, scored four touchdowns and won two championships.

http://pit.scout.com/story/1536060-stee ... tires?s=68

Scottemojo

Reaction score
*pours a bit of gin*

Troy played the game balls out. I will always respect his game.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
One of the few Pittsburgh Steelers I both liked and respected. I'm glad he's listening to his body and getting out.

I bet he'd make a great analyst or commentator. His voice is silky smooth and soft in a way that makes you listen.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3iy2a4p4 said:
One of the few Pittsburgh Steelers I both liked and respected. I'm glad he's listening to his body and getting out.

I bet he'd make a great analyst or commentator. His voice is silky smooth and soft in a way that makes you listen.
Creepy, dude.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Absolutely HATE the team he played for but respected the hell out of the way he played, his very high talent level and his high football IQ. One of the all time greats at his position.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":8gp4y1fv said:
Absolutely HATE the team he played for but respected the hell out of the way he played, his very high talent level and his high football IQ. One of the all time greats at his position.
Earl is getting there. But the only other safety I've seen play with such instinct is Ed Reed. What's scary is that we have TWO guys in their prime and locked up for years that have a chance not only to match them but top them. And a safety in Chancellor that is well on his way on redefining the whole concept of what the position is.

People need to appreciate what is happening with this defense especially given the rules they have to play by which puts them at a disadvantage none of the the other great secondaries really had to deal with for their entire career.

Couple that with a quarterback with the savvy of Joe Montana but the physical tools to do things he never could imagine finally getting an actual elite level receiver. It could get downright 1970's-80's Pittsburgh historic. If it isn't already.

original poster

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":y8ovxjv9 said:
Sports Hernia":y8ovxjv9 said:
Earl is getting there. But the only other safety I've seen play with such instinct is Ed Reed. What's scary is that we have TWO guys in their prime and locked up for years that have a chance not only to match them but top them. And a safety in Chancellor that is well on his way on redefining the whole concept of what the position is.

People need to appreciate what is happening with this defense especially given the rules they have to play by which puts them at a disadvantage none of the the other great secondaries really had to deal with for their entire career.

Couple that with a quarterback with the savvy of Joe Montana but the physical tools to do things he never could imagine finally getting an actual elite level receiver. It could get downright 1970's-80's Pittsburgh historic. If it isn't already.

Totally agree about how Kam is changing and evolving the SS position, I doubt there is a single player in the league that doesn't get nervous about taking a hit from him.

Uberman

Reaction score
Which is my current hometown -

They love them some Polamalu here!

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Uberman":1weq69ce said:
Which is my current hometown -

They love them some Polamalu here!

I spent some time in Roseburg, I worked for Catholic Health in IT. Nice little town, came very close to moving there to fill a job opening at the hospital.

(That was before they outsourced all their IT to an offshore Indian company)

But yea, I hate that team he played for, so didn't watch him play much. But admired the way he played at 100%.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Consummate professional. I expect that one day Earl Thomas is seen in the same light as Troy.

One of Troy's coolest moves was on the goal line where he ran down the line then leaped over it to tackle the QB on the snap of the ball. It was unreal.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Great Trojan, great NFL player, and from what I hear, a super nice guy. He's apparently very soft-spoken off the field.

NWPatsFan

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is twice the player TP was. TP got burned on coverage too much, it is ridiculous that he was in the Pro Bowl as much as he was. I swear he thought he was a linebacker half the time, cheating up on the line of scrimmage....I don't know maybe it was the hair that made everyone overlook his shortcomings.

Jville

Reaction score
I thought Clayton's comments were interesting. He noted that Troy called around to other teams and was asked .... do your really want to sign a contract with another team, in a different uniform, at a level of play significantly less than your best years for about $1.5 million.

For me, that brought back horrible flash backs to of the horrific final season in Seattle of Franco Harris.

Polamalu clearly made the correct decision.

sc85sis

Reaction score
NWPatsFan":35fu8pqm said:
Earl Thomas is twice the player TP was. TP got burned on coverage too much, it is ridiculous that he was in the Pro Bowl as much as he was. I swear he thought he was a linebacker half the time, cheating up on the line of scrimmage....I don't know maybe it was the hair that made everyone overlook his shortcomings.
Earl is a free safety. Troy played strong safety. Both are great players and great people. Both will likely end up in the Hall.

I see no reason to denigrate one in order to praise the other.