Attorney: Jameis not ready for NFL off the field

ivotuk

Reaction score
"But attorney David Cornwell, who has advised and represented the former Florida State quarterback, said Friday that Winston is not ready to be an NFL player off the field -- yet.

"He's ready to be an NFL player on the field," Cornwell told Villanova's Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium. "But he's not ready to be an NFL player off the field.""

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/ ... ayer-field

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ivotuk":f1h32f52 said:
"But attorney David Cornwell, who has advised and represented the former Florida State quarterback, said Friday that Winston is not ready to be an NFL player off the field -- yet.

"He's ready to be an NFL player on the field," Cornwell told Villanova's Moorad Sports Law Journal Symposium. "But he's not ready to be an NFL player off the field.""

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/ ... ayer-field
Not surprising IMHO. Whomever drafts him might have to "Dezinate" a babysitter for him full time like the C'boys do with Dez Bryant.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Maybe he didn't pay his attorney bills on the rape allegation...why would his attorney drop this? What bad news is about to come out?

razgriz737

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1abpqiq8 said:
Maybe he didn't pay his attorney bills on the rape allegation...why would his attorney drop this? What bad news is about to come out?
Was thinking the same thing. Pretty weird thing for his attorney just to say out of the blue.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jamies Winston selects new attorney story in five, four, three...

Edit: after actually reading the article, it's not that bad.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's incredible that his own attorney would say anything like this. I'll be curious to see how his rookie year/off-season unfold...

BlackandGolden

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":19fck0vh said:
It's incredible that his own attorney would say anything like this. I'll be curious to see how his rookie year/off-season unfold...

Tampa would be a nice place for Jameis to go and fail.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
ESPN had a show on last night and the cameras followed him around on his typical day. He seemed like a better kid than I expected but when he took his shirt off he was flabby and out of shape looking.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There are so many non football reason to wonder about him, which is what the attorney is acknowledging.

But how bout football reasons? He couldn't get his fat ass into any kind of shape with months to do so, must be the butter on those crab legs, and when he was suspended for a game and still showed up on the sidelines in uniform, he acted surprised that his coaches were pissed. If I was picking first, those things would give me pause, forget the rest. I get a whiff of Ryan Leaf from those things.

I really like his talent. There is an element of Favre to his gambling nature, leads to lots of good and bad things. I just wonder if he will listen to coaches long enough to reduce the bad things. And stay out of trouble off the field.

One of the things I don't get is, and this seems to happen every year, why the media obsession with having the Bucs take one of the two QBs? If Winston is a disaster waiting to happen, and Mariota doesn't fit your offense, trade down a spot or take Williams.

kearly

Reaction score
Whereas I could see immaturity dooming a QB like Manziel who would have to outwork everybody to find success with his small stature, I could see Winston surviving in the NFL despite some immaturity the way guys like Cam Newton, Big Ben, Dan Marino and Brett Favre did. Winston has enough gifts and physical talent to skate by and possibly not turn into a trainwreck.

He is a dangerous pick for sure. But you look at all the QBs from 2009 to 2014, and exclude 2012, and Mariota and Winston are probably prospects #1 and #2 out of that group. Passing on one of these guys hoping that you can get something safer in 2016 or 2017 is wishful thinking, and a wasted opportunity.

Of course, if you could get Philip Rivers and a pick instead, there is some logic to bypassing the gamble for a known commodity.

Osprey

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1h3oaf9k said:
He couldn't get his fat ass into any kind of shape with months to do so, must be the butter on those crab legs, and when he was suspended for a game and still showed up on the sidelines in uniform, he acted surprised that his coaches were pissed. If I was picking first, those things would give me pause, forget the rest. I get a whiff of Ryan Leaf from those things.

That's what worries me the most. In this day and age of super conditioned athletes I don't get how he could look so soft. He obviously has the intelligence, talent, and charisma but I seriously question the commitment to physical maintenance that has become such an important part of the game. I doubt he balloons up like JaMarcus Russell, but I could easily see him following the Ryan Leaf lunch lady arms path.

kearly

Reaction score
Didn't Winston throw some of his teammates under the bus during the Oregon rout? And did so minutes before he had a Sanchezian fumble for a TD.

I never bought the Ryan Leaf talk for Manziel, who has busted for sure, but not the same way Leaf did. I genuinely saw some Leaf in Winston when he finally faced real adversity in his last game.

He's still a risk worth taking, though I am surprised that his stock is as high as it is given how rough 2015 has been for him.