Rotoworld GM rankings

kearly

Reaction score
Not a bad list considering the use of long term resume based logic.

I generally prefer "who's the best RIGHT NOW" type of lists compared to who has the best resume. Going by long term resume would be like ranking golfers and putting Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson ahead of Rory Mcilroy or Jordan Spieth.

That said, I think JS being 3rd is somewhat fair. I think JS is a high effort GM moreso than a wunderkind. His peerless work ethic is the perfect compliment for Carroll's casual genius, but if separated from Carroll I have no way of knowing if JS would be a superior GM to Belichick or Newsome.

But, if you factor in Carroll, it's clear that PC/JS are #1. They have built the team of the decade. It's not like 31 teams are running through Bill Belichick's garbage cans or shadowing him at every pro day visit.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BIG SHOCKER: BS List.

Baalke at 18? LOL.

Dude drops 13 spots because they fired Harbaugh? RIIIGHT.

Elway at 5!?! Jerry Jones at 16!?!

Have to agree with Kearly...list based almost entirely on the right nbow and not on anything on their resume. I'm sure peeps will argue that Baalke is where he should be but come on...Elway? Jones!?!

kidhawk

Reaction score
On his ranking of Schneider, I think the #3 ranking is fair, but seriously people need to think more big picture as far as the GM goes when it comes to the Flynn signing.

We were going into the draft and people knew we were quarterback hungry. We didn't rush out and sign him right away, we let the market set itself and paid him a reasonable fee for his expected services.

In turn for signing him, we entered the draft with teams figuring we were settled at quarterback. This allowed us to wait for Wilson until the 3rd round. There were other teams interested in Wilson, but they felt they could get him later in that third round. Had we been more qb hungry going into the draft, teams likely would have jumped in front of us to take him. This means that we would have had to take him sooner. The pick we had prior to Wilson that year was Bobby Wagner. Honestly, I think paying Flynn $10 million to sit on the bench then get traded away is well worth it when you consider it was likely a huge help in getting both Wagner and Wilson. Especially when you take into account the amount of cap space we had and still have.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Marvin49":11i2w9xj said:

Baalke at 18? LOL.

Have to agree with Kearly...list based almost entirely on the right nbow and not on anything on their resume. I'm sure peeps will argue that Baalke is where he should be but come on...Elway? Jones!?!
So, what exactly has Baalk done? I have not been impressed with his work as GM of the 49ers. He's not the worst GM out there for sure, but I find his work to be very underwhelming the last few years. He's found some good players, but he's also had some very ugly drafts, and him and York are also responsible for the Harbaugh debacle.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1wlmh24v said:
Marvin49":1wlmh24v said:

Baalke at 18? LOL.

So, what exactly has Baalk done? I have not been impressed with his work as GM of the 49ers. He's not the worst GM out there for sure, but I find his work to be very underwhelming the last few years. He's found some good players, but he's also had some very ugly drafts, and him and York are also responsible for the Harbaugh debacle.

ONE ugly draft. 2012. We are about to find out with 2013 and 2014. 2010 was really good (Davis, Iupati, Bowman). 2011 was really good (Aldon, Kap, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore, and Miller).

2013 got them Pro Bowl safety in Reid and several guys who are about to get a shot. 2014 looks even more promising with Ward, Hyde, Martin, and Lynch. Would have looked even better if Borland doesn't retire.

Criticism of Baalke cracks me up. How has Schneider done the last couple years? Any real difference makers? Didn't he give up a 1, a 3, a 7, and a ton of cash for Percy Harvin? Now he just gave up a pro bowl center and a first round pick for a TE? Does that make him a bad GM?

No, he's among the best in the league. You don't hit them all out of the park. Graham may be a great move or a horrible move. We'll see. I had my doubts with Harvin and I have them again with Graham.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3o0qu9h6 said:

Baalke at 18? LOL.

Baalke should have been around 18th all along because most of the better players the niners had were already there before he took over. We'll find out really soon about Baalke because he'll be the one replacing the good players. I think his ranking will drop even further after this season.

I think Jerry is so high because he has started to let his son make more and more decisions and he owns a legacy franchise.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":14agrt02 said:
Criticism of Baalke cracks me up. How has Schneider done the last couple years?
Ummm, Marvin, JS's team has won a Super Bowl and if it were not for a bonehead play call by his OC would have won 2 in a row.

That is what JS done.

Spin away..........

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jeuut8c said:
Spin Doctor":1jeuut8c said:
Marvin49":1jeuut8c said:

Baalke at 18? LOL.

ONE ugly draft. 2012. We are about to find out with 2013 and 2014. 2010 was really good (Davis, Iupati, Bowman). 2011 was really good (Aldon, Kap, Culliver, Hunter, Kilgore, and Miller).

2013 got them Pro Bowl safety in Reid and several guys who are about to get a shot. 2014 looks even more promising with Ward, Hyde, Martin, and Lynch. Would have looked even better if Borland doesn't retire.

Criticism of Baalke cracks me up. How has Schneider done the last couple years? Any real difference makers? Didn't he give up a 1, a 3, a 7, and a ton of cash for Percy Harvin? Now he just gave up a pro bowl center and a first round pick for a TE? Does that make him a bad GM?

No, he's among the best in the league. You don't hit them all out of the park. Graham may be a great move or a horrible move. We'll see. I had my doubts with Harvin and I have them again with Graham.

I think you're overrating the 2011 draft Marvin. Besides Aldon, there ain't much there. Congrats to Baalke on not mucking up the 7th pick in the draft, character concerns aside. Keeporpick looked good before everyone figured him out and hasn't done much since. The other guys are gone, about to be gone, a never was, and a fullback. They got starting time, but none of them did enough to earn a second contract from the niners.

As far as what Schneider has done the last couple years? He re-signed players he drafted and watched his team play in back to back Super Bowl's.

Baalke walked into a team that was already there and the more players he has to replace, the further down the niners fall.

Schneider has two players that were on the roster before he was hired, so we KNOW that Schneider can build a team from nothing to being a Super Bowl winner.

mikeak

Reaction score
If Bellicheck had a GM that he worked with like PC and JS then he would have another couple of superbowls.
Meh is not the best GM out there but his coaching genius and one if the best QBs to ever play the game makes up for his short comings as GM.

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":1k12k87x said:
If Bellicheck had a GM that he worked with like PC and JS then he would have another couple of superbowls.
Meh is not the best GM out there but his coaching genius and one if the best QBs to ever play the game makes up for his short comings as GM.

He is a good coach, but a lot of his stuff comes at pushing rule limits and sportsmanship, he is to good to have to stoop to that and his legacy will be tarnished due to it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":1wnrv878 said:
Marvin49":1wnrv878 said:
Spin Doctor":1wnrv878 said:
Marvin49":1wnrv878 said:

Baalke at 18? LOL.

I think you're overrating the 2011 draft Marvin. Besides Aldon, there ain't much there. Congrats to Baalke on not mucking up the 7th pick in the draft, character concerns aside. Keeporpick looked good before everyone figured him out and hasn't done much since. The other guys are gone, about to be gone, a never was, and a fullback. They got starting time, but none of them did enough to earn a second contract from the niners.

As far as what Schneider has done the last couple years? He re-signed players he drafted and watched his team play in back to back Super Bowl's.

Baalke walked into a team that was already there and the more players he has to replace, the further down the niners fall.

Schneider has two players that were on the roster before he was hired, so we KNOW that Schneider can build a team from nothing to being a Super Bowl winner.

The 2011 draft board was also built with Mclouhan on staff. The 2012 draft was the first draft for Baalke and that was a disaster.

Marvin I know you want to list Ward, Hyde, Martin, and Lynch as sure fire locks for the HOF but you can't really do that and in the same paragragh and question if Schneider has found any different makers that last couple of drafts. You were one of the guys arguing a couple years ago that the talent Baalke drafted was being held back by all the talent on the field. Now suddenly you don't recognize that?

Christine Michael is behind Lynch but has flashed as much as Hyde. Hill, Simon and Bowe have given good reason to believe they can become starters and possibly difference makes but of that draft the one that stands out to me is Luke Willson. Remember him? He was the one out performing your second round TE that your 18th ranked GM moved ahead of us to grab (getting the rong Rice TE) and allowed us to sit back until the 5th to take. That is a blunder of epic proportion right there.

Paul Richardson looks like a definite difference maker if he can stay healthy. He was coming on strong before getting injured last year. Britt and Marsh both look like very good picks and Norwood is still here as is Louis.

We will now really start seeing what Baalke is capable of or lack there of but so far he really only has question marks on some guys that have shown potential. Like said above, Schneider has proven he can build a super bowl caliber roster from the ground up.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
chris98251":28il2mk4 said:
mikeak":28il2mk4 said:

He is a good coach, but a lot of his stuff comes at pushing rule limits and sportsmanship, he is to good to have to stoop to that and his legacy will be tarnished due to it.

This really is the thing for me. It's not just that he has proven beyond any question he will cheat in any way possible but how that cheating has helped him.

I know some don't believe Spygate was that big of a deal but the Patriots were already under investigation for tampering with FM frequencies by trying to tap into the opponents mic and get their play calls and watching that final play in the super bowl makes you wonder how his defense seemed to execute that play better than our offense.

Consider how good your players would look if you knew the opponents play calls. It would explain why he was never worried to let elite players walk or trade them instead of resigning them. It would also explain why so many of those elite players became extremely pedestrian with a different team. So you can trade elite players (or ones who appear elite) for top draft picks. You already have Tom Brady and play in the worst conference in football, how does he not have more super bowls?

Is he really a great coach and GM or is it all the cheating? I don't think the world will ever know. Also what don't we know about? No one seems to know about the tampering with FM signals. The deflate gate seems to have deflated. The Spygate tapes were immediately erased and discarded. The NFL has already shown they will cover up so what don't we know about?

Apparently Bo Schmebeckler was wrong. If you gotta cheat you will be seen as the greatest football mind if the 21st century.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":3g4hcljt said:
I think you're overrating the 2011 draft Marvin. Besides Aldon, there ain't much there.

:lol:

You can either argue that a team is already stacked, or argue that nabbing four starters in one draft isn't a good draft, but you can't do both.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":wbip3zdu said:
rideaducati":wbip3zdu said:
I think you're overrating the 2011 draft Marvin. Besides Aldon, there ain't much there.

:lol:

You can either argue that a team is already stacked, or argue that nabbing four starters in one draft isn't a good draft, but you can't do both.

I can do whatever I want.

I didn't argue that the niner roster was "stacked", I said most of their BETTER players were already there when Baalke got the job.

I'd put my money on Baalke NOT BEING ABLE to build a team from top to bottom that would contend for a championship. We'll find out for sure eventually. So far, the more pieces Baalke adds, the worse the niners get. I hope the niners keep Baalke for a really long time.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":y47qbnvs said:
rideaducati":y47qbnvs said:
Marvin49":y47qbnvs said:
Spin Doctor":y47qbnvs said:

The 2011 draft board was also built with Mclouhan on staff. The 2012 draft was the first draft for Baalke and that was a disaster.

Marvin I know you want to list Ward, Hyde, Martin, and Lynch as sure fire locks for the HOF but you can't really do that and in the same paragragh and question if Schneider has found any different makers that last couple of drafts. You were one of the guys arguing a couple years ago that the talent Baalke drafted was being held back by all the talent on the field. Now suddenly you don't recognize that?

Christine Michael is behind Lynch but has flashed as much as Hyde. Hill, Simon and Bowe have given good reason to believe they can become starters and possibly difference makes but of that draft the one that stands out to me is Luke Willson. Remember him? He was the one out performing your second round TE that your 18th ranked GM moved ahead of us to grab (getting the rong Rice TE) and allowed us to sit back until the 5th to take. That is a blunder of epic proportion right there.

Paul Richardson looks like a definite difference maker if he can stay healthy. He was coming on strong before getting injured last year. Britt and Marsh both look like very good picks and Norwood is still here as is Louis.

We will now really start seeing what Baalke is capable of or lack there of but so far he really only has question marks on some guys that have shown potential. Like said above, Schneider has proven he can build a super bowl caliber roster from the ground up.

Uh...no.

Baalke took over as interim GM in 2010, not 2011. Baalke was Scots right hand man and helped BUILD the draft board while Scot was too drunk to do anything but get fired. I loved the guy and was sad to see him go, but lets stop with the BS about how Baalke somehow zeroxed Scots notes and took them to the bank.

Baalke ran the draft in 2010 and drafted Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, and Navorro Bowman. 2011 was all Baalke...and while peeps here love to discredit, Aldon was a good pick, Kap was a good pick (sorry...I know he's universally hated here but come on now), Culliver was a good pick and just signed a big contract in Washington, Hunter was a good pick, he just can't stay healthy, Kilgore was the starting Center before he broke his ankle vs Denver, and Miller is the starting FB. Niners didn't resign Iupati or Culliver? That somehow means they were bad picks? Come on now, you guys should know as well as everyone that you can't keep anyone and have to keep drafting replacements. Was Golden Tate a bad pick? You guys are going to see some good players leave when Wilson finally gets his $$$. Those players won't be bad picks...they'll be victims of success.

Always cracks me up how peeps try to rip on a GM and then just find reasons to overlook good picks.

BTW, my comments in regards to Schneider weren't knocks on him so quoting his SB win is meaningless (wasn't you Rich). I think he's right where he deserves to be on the list. My point was that even good ones make mistakes.

Also a note on your comments on Ward, Hyde, etc...my point is only ever that we'll find out. They look like they might be good picks, but as I've said all offseason, we are about to find out just how good Baalke is. All those guys are going to get a chance to play.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ugpnbvu said:
Marvin49":1ugpnbvu said:
Criticism of Baalke cracks me up. How has Schneider done the last couple years?
Ummm, Marvin, JS's team has won a Super Bowl and if it were not for a bonehead play call by his OC would have won 2 in a row.

That is what JS done.

Spin away..........

That's great. Has ZERO to do with the point I was making, but have fun with it.

...and don't talk to me about boneheaded calls costing a SB.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hunter can not be considered a good pick by anyone outside of his immediate family. Most niner fans don't even like that pick.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":3rskm8lc said:
Hunter can not be considered a good pick by anyone outside of his immediate family. Most niner fans don't even like that pick.

!?!

um, OK. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Despite a torn Achilles, 1200 career yards w/ 4.6 yards per carry , 7 TDs in effectively 43 games as backup to Frank Gore.

Robert Turbin:

928 yards, 4.0 yards per carry, and 0 TDs in 48 games as backup to Lynch.

I guess Turbin REALLY sucks then.

Kendalls problems haven't been on the field...they've been with STAYING on the field. Torn Achilles in 2012 and torn ACL on the first day of Camp last year.