49ers' Boone changes tune on 'clinically insane' Harbaugh

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In September, when reports were swirling about Jim Harbaugh's future with the team, offensive lineman Alex Boone was one of his more staunch, vocal defenders:

"I know for a fact that everybody loves Harbaugh," Boone told 95.7 The Game in September. "He's a great guy. How can you not want to win for a guy that wears cleats during the game? Come on now. Have you not seen that guy's energy? He's excited 24-7. You've got to love to play for a guy like that. That's what football is all about."

Now that Harbaugh is no longer with the 49ers, Boone has dramatically changed his tune about his former coach:

"I think he just pushed guys too far," Boone told HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" for an episode that will air Tuesday. "He wanted too much, demanded too much, expected too much. You know, 'We gotta go out and do this. We gotta go out and do this. We gotta go out and do this.' And you'd be like, 'This guy might be clinically insane. He's crazy.'"

"He does a great job of giving you that spark, that initial boom," Boone told HBO. "But after a while, you just want to kick his ass. ... He just keeps pushing you, and you're like, 'Dude, we got over the mountain. Stop. Let go.' He kind of wore out his welcome."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12726 ... lly-insane

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not really surprising that Boone would change his tune before and after Harbaugh left, although I don't think there's any point to say something negative about Harbaugh now, and he should have just kept his mouth shut.

TBF though it's not like Boone is now saying anything about Harbaugh that hasn't been said about him since he was at Stanford.

Harbaugh even acknowledges the same thing about himself in the Real Sports segment tomorrow night that all of this is coming from:

“You didn’t always play well with others, necessarily,” Kremer says to Harbaugh.

“Yeah, people say that,” Harbaugh responds.

“Well, what do you say?” Kremer asks.

“It must be true, yeah,” Harbaugh replies. “Sometimes I’d wear out my welcome.”

“What does that mean you wear out your welcome?”

“They just don’t want to be around you after a while,” Harbaugh admits.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -harbaugh/

Marvin49

Reaction score
Yeah...I saw it this morning.

I tend to believe Boone now and think he was in the heat of an NFL season and getting pissed that the constant rumors were having an effect on the locker room last year...

...but kinda hard to take him all that seriously when he took such a hard stance on defending Harbaugh last year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":wq9d1pmq said:
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/1tP5vPPvRK/[/instagram]

cullyinthehouse

LOL.. Funny how ppl talk about u when You not around but quite in ya face!! 3/4 years went to NFCchampionship/Super Bowl, that's what we play for!! #ThatswhatHEbrung #HEISAGOODCOACH #RESPECTHIM

https://instagram.com/p/1tP5vPPvRK/

I'd imagine there are a number of players on either side of the argument and that in itself is poison to a locker room.

I didn't want Harbaugh gone, but the silver lining is at least the "will he stay or will he go" BS will be gone.

It's not like Boone said anything that peeps at Stanford hadn't said already. BTW Chris, the word is "quiet", not "quite", and at no point did Boone say Harbaugh was a bad coach.

Jville

Reaction score
Alex Boone has got to dance to the new tune. So ...... he is restructuring "his designer reality". :229031_shrug: It's not like he is unique in that regard down in 49er land.

Over the course of this past year, revisionist exercises have been exceptionally popular in that work environment and with many in that fan base. And, it's not like revisionist behavior is historically unique to that environment or it's fans. We have seen that kind of behavior many times in many arenas.

Jville

Reaction score
And then there is this just published .....

Ex-49er Chris Culliver dissagrees with Boone’s criticism of Harbaugh >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/ex-49er-chris-culliver-dissagrees-with-boones-criticism-of-harbaugh/[/urltargetblank]

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":sl2w5wzb said:
Alex Boone has got to dance to the new tune. So ...... he is restructuring "his designer reality". :229031_shrug: It's not like he is unique in that regard down in 49er land.

Over the course of this past year, revisionist exercises have been exceptionally popular in that work environment and with many in that fan base. And, it's not like revisionist behavior is historically unique to that environment or it's fans. We have seen that kind of behavior many times in many arenas.

I was kinda thinking something along those lines...but the only thing that doesn't jive is that he'd be much better off talking up his new coach than talking down his old coach.

Either way, he probably shouldn't have said anything at all.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":kkv4pvso said:

Ex-49er Chris Culliver dissagrees with Boone’s criticism of Harbaugh >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/ex-49er-chris-culliver-dissagrees-with-boones-criticism-of-harbaugh/[/urltargetblank]

By "just published" do you mean "previously posted and commented on in the thread"? :D

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":f5slbm4f said:
Jville":f5slbm4f said:

By "just published" do you mean "previously posted and commented on in the thread"? :D

I saw no duplicates. All of the above links lead to different articles. :D

Chris Culliver, who spent the last four years in San Francisco before signing in Washington this offseason, says that Harbaugh is a good coach, and players shouldn’t criticize him after the fact.
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/ex-49er-chris-culliver-dissagrees-with-boones-criticism-of-harbaugh[/urltargetblank]

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":1k0ftmoe said:
Marvin49":1k0ftmoe said:
Jville":1k0ftmoe said:

Chris Culliver, who spent the last four years in San Francisco before signing in Washington this offseason, says that Harbaugh is a good coach, and players shouldn’t criticize him after the fact.
[urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/20/ex-49er-chris-culliver-dissagrees-with-boones-criticism-of-harbaugh[/urltargetblank]

...about the exact same event. Culliver tweeted about Boones tweet.

mikeak

Reaction score
1) College kids only need to live with it for 4 years so easier to tolerate

2) Seahawk players that played for him don't like him...........

3) Harbaugh should have changed it the last year to - if you win the superbowl this year you all get to punch me in my face.....

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":2nbql5j3 said:
Jville":2nbql5j3 said:
Marvin49":2nbql5j3 said:
Jville":2nbql5j3 said:

That doesn't make is a duplicate or irrelevant posting. It is a different link and a different article by a different author. Surely you have no axe to grind with Michael David Smith.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":21u3122s said:
Marvin49":21u3122s said:
Jville":21u3122s said:
Marvin49":21u3122s said:

That doesn't make is a duplicate or irrelevant posting. It is a different link and a different article by a different author. Surely you have no axe to grind with Michael David Smith.

SMH.

Jville

Reaction score
Marvin49":caaeaajp said:

You have a lot of us doing just that .... as original subjects are sidetracked with trivial objections in thread after thread.

ringless

Reaction score
Boone can say what he wants, but the thing is Harbaugh is a winner. He is crazy, and throws some child like tantrums, but the guys pushes them hard enough to have an insane W-L record.....

Winning in this sport takes the ultimate sacrifice. I guess we will see how a more "Player Friendly" coach does in Tomsula. Boone was getting paid good money to do a hard job. What did he expect from someone who expected to win...

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":2o9v1b1x said:
Marvin49":2o9v1b1x said:

You have a lot of us doing just that .... as original subjects are sidetracked with trivial objections in thread after thread.

Then peeps should stop arguing specific parts of my posts.

I said three things in the GM Thread. My comments were about Baalke, Elway, and Jones. It was others that took issue with the Baalke part and said nothing about the others.

Takes 2 to have an argument.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2m5yee4c said:
Jville":2m5yee4c said:
Marvin49":2m5yee4c said:

I said three things in the GM Thread. My comments were about Baalke, Elway, and Jones. It was others that took issue with the Baalke part and said nothing about the others.

If you don't like folks discussing "specific parts of your posts", maybe you should just leave THOSE "specific parts" out of your posts??? Problem solved. :)

Just an idea to ponder. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zf2xm82 said:
Marvin49":1zf2xm82 said:
Jville":1zf2xm82 said:
Marvin49":1zf2xm82 said:

If you don't like folks discussing "specific parts of your posts", maybe you should just leave THOSE "specific parts" out of your posts??? Problem solved. :)

Just an idea to ponder. :th2thumbs:

Seriously?

Read what I was responding to. I don't have a problem with it. He does.