Mooch says Cards will win NFCW

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If Palmer stays healthy. If. If. If.

The Cards have done lots of good things, and they get Daryl Washington back. They are definitely our biggest competition for the west.

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Probably true, but as you said, If, If. Will be interesting to watch all the changes unfold.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Iupati was probably the 2nd biggest acquisition in the division after Jimmy Graham. He is going to be a transformational presence for the physicality of that offensive line. When healthy, Palmer is easily the 2nd best QB in the division. Now they just need a great running back to really scare me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
If the Hawks don't the cards would be most likely to. That's really not going out on a limb IMHO. 8)

kearly

Reaction score
I respect the Cardinals as an organization, but...

This is a team that had disguised regression last season, dropping nearly 3 wins in football outsiders 'estimated wins' metric from their number in 2013. Any Cardinals fan who watched that team knew the 2013 version was better, even though it won one fewer game.

At one point the Cardinals were 9-1 but had the DVOA of a .500 or worse team. People point to injuries, but even when healthy and winning, they were one of the biggest overachievers in recent memory.

It wasn't until the final game of the season that the Cardinals lost a game decided by one score. They finished 5-1 in such games. In all other games, they were 6-5 with a mediocre point differential.

I think they are a threat in the sense that anything is possible and they are 'good enough'. But I think they'd need to win almost every close game and have Seattle lose almost every close game to pull it off. I'd give that maybe a 10% chance of happening.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I see them as dangerous and if Palmer is healthy dangerous enough to win the division if things break right for them even if things don't break badly for us. I don't think Mooch is right but it can happen without stretching one's sense of disbelief.

chris98251

Reaction score
They have come up short the last few years but Arians has them playing 60 minutes, breaks start happening at some point look at us, I don't discount them at all.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Largent80":dnwhs0fz said:
The Rams could possibly turn a corner with Bradford gone. But I doubt it.

I could read that sentence over and over...with Bradford gone. So lovely.

It's all a big unknown right now.

Except for that one fact I can read over and over.

original poster

Reaction score
I don't see it at all.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if the Cards come third behind the Rams.

I absolutely respect the Cardinals, in fact probably more than any other organisation in Football excluding the Hawks, but I don't believe they have what it takes, yet.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
kearly":2kb3j72b said:

This is a team that had disguised regression last season, dropping nearly 3 wins in football outsiders 'estimated wins' metric from their number in 2013. Any Cardinals fan who watched that team knew the 2013 version was better, even though it won one fewer game.

At one point the Cardinals were 9-1 but had the DVOA of a .500 or worse team. People point to injuries, but even when healthy and winning, they were one of the biggest overachievers in recent memory.

It wasn't until the final game of the season that the Cardinals lost a game decided by one score. They finished 5-1 in such games. In all other games, they were 6-5 with a mediocre point differential.

I think they are a threat in the sense that anything is possible and they are 'good enough'. But I think they'd need to win almost every close game and have Seattle lose almost every close game to pull it off. I'd give that maybe a 10% chance of happening.

This!

Thanks for putting this into words. I noticed this with the eyeball test last year, but didn't actually look up any advanced metrics about them.

I would put Foles and Palmer in the same category too....Palmer when healthy is still just a middle of the pack guy.

What Seattle did to them in Arizona was just incomprehensible if I'm a Cardinal fan. I get not scoring with a 3rd string QB - but that d giving up 500 yards at home? Crazy.

Of course, the Giants came in and embarrassed my Rams....so I can't really talk.

rideaducati

Reaction score
RedAlice":cpi91jrx said:
Largent80":cpi91jrx said:

I could read that sentence over and over...with Bradford gone. So lovely.

It's all a big unknown right now.

Except for that one fact I can read over and over.

Fisher is still there, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
As others have mentioned Palmers health is paramount to their post season aspirations. The Run game aside of course.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":35jugxgd said:
As others have mentioned Palmers health is paramount to their post season aspirations. The Run game aside of course.

To win 11 games again this year, the cards are going to have to play a bunch of teams that have their best player out for that game, just like last season. I don't think they win more than 9 games WITH Palmer this season.

PackerNation

Reaction score
Largent80":971vqe1a said:

No way. They will be lucky to give the 49ers some trouble.

Arizona has no offense, as of right now. To win the division, their defense will need at least an average offense. If that happens, they could win it outright.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Ramfan128":33rzt0uy said:
kearly":33rzt0uy said:

This!

Thanks for putting this into words. I noticed this with the eyeball test last year, but didn't actually look up any advanced metrics about them.

I would put Foles and Palmer in the same category too....Palmer when healthy is still just a middle of the pack guy.

What Seattle did to them in Arizona was just incomprehensible if I'm a Cardinal fan. I get not scoring with a 3rd string QB - but that d giving up 500 yards at home? Crazy.

Of course, the Giants came in and embarrassed my Rams....so I can't really talk.

Have to agree also. Last year looked like a complete fluke for AZ. Using that year is like betting that luck will save you.

That said though, AZ does have the weapons if healthy to be very good and that running game even if AP doesn't end up there, will likely improve with Iupati. I know 9er fans want you to believe that he was garbage and not worth resigning like every single player that has ever left/retired and replaced by the guy who will in a couple years be described as not worth resigning but Iupati is probably the closest thing to Steve Hutchinson that we are familiar with, when talking about run blocking. Their run game will improve.

If Palmer stays healthy and that defense doesn't take a huge step back without Bowles, this team could be a real threat.