Colt Lyerla… give him a chance Pete!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
As some of you who visit the College and Draft forum know, after his sophomore season at Oregon I was a huge Colt Lyerla fan and praying that the Seahawks would draft him. Then his junior season became a train wreck both on and off the field, mostly due to health and personal problems (drug and alcohol abuse, a few arrests, and leaving the Ducks football program… it was reported that it was voluntary, but I believe he was kicked out of the program), and at that point i wanted the Seahawks to stay away from him completely.

Now supposedly he's both clean and healthy and looking for another chance in the NFL. If his mind and body are in the right place he would be a great addition to the Hawks. Duck insiders will tell you that he's one of the top 2 or 3 athletes to ever come through the program, and in combination with Jimmy Graham would make an absolutely filthy tight end combo. Plus, he could be had for the league minimum or probably even stashed on the practice squad if necessary so there's absolutely no risk in giving him a chance.

He had really tough circumstances growing up and has made some pretty bad decisions for himself. I'd like to see his story end happily. Make it so Pete!
The former Oregon tight end offered the following message to NFL teams at the end of his workout video.

"To the NFL teams out there, obviously there have been a lot of bad decisions made in the past. But the past is the past and it's going to stay in the past. 2015 has been a good year to me. The injury has healed well. I've been in a substance-abuse program for the past year and a half. I haven't failed a test since, and my DUI case I had back in September has been officially dismissed," he said. "We're moving forward, and like an old coach I used to have, Chip Kelly, used to say: win the day. I think I have a long string of winning days, and I'm going to do whatever it takes to keep that process going moving forward and make an NFL 2015 roster."

http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Co ... a-36915806

Basis4day

Reaction score
For sake of argument it should be pointed out he tore his MCL and PCL less than a year ago.

Basis4day

Reaction score
JSeahawks":198dctby said:
Basis4day":198dctby said:
For sake of argument it should be pointed out he tore his MCL and PCL less than a year ago.

Neither of which were severe enough to require surgery.

But severe enough to earn a release from the Packers.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Poor character got him released. He was on their PS but got busted for DWI by drugs. He hasn't got the message yet.

kearly

Reaction score
I was never impressed with him, not even for a second. One of the very few Ducks to not impress the hell out of me in their current era.

But sometimes flawed college players become good pros, and giving Lyerla a look costs nothing.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":9yywb9b7 said:
I was never impressed with him, not even for a second. One of the very few Ducks to not impress the hell out of me in the current era.

Hmmmm, you must not have ever seen this...

[youtube]wOMDbl58wJ0[/youtube]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As a 49ers fan it would make me happy, so yeah, in my opinion no way the Hawks should do this. :lol:

sturg78

Reaction score
Colt is Gronk 2.0, straight ridiculous athlete and half-hulk. I don't know if it was the PCP but he would never go down on the first hit.

There was a play where he lined up at half back and during the read option the backup qb tried to take the ball out of his gut. Having none of that sissy fake action, colt kept the ball and dragged the qb and a few defenders in for a TD.

Edit: https://youtu.be/ayscW-vdj4I

Tempest_Crow

Reaction score
Good down field blocking and isn't to bad on the line. Him and Graham on one side would be a mismatch nightmare!

CPHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2gkdtv1u said:
As a 49ers fan it would make me happy, so yeah, in my opinion no way the Hawks should do this. :lol:

He makes Percy look like a stanup guy. Dudes a Fn idiot, who doesn't deserve to be in the NFL at this point.

chris98251

Reaction score
No cost to bring him in and see if he gets it, if nothing else camp foder and less wear and tear on the guys that would stick. If he gets it then a great pick up for nothing. I am sure GB will tell John about any issues he had there.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Lyerla might fit the archetype of "meathead" better than anyone ever.

But, he does run hard/fast in a straight line for someone with his size. Is he worth the time investment of impregnating his social circle with babysitters that have brains? Probably not.