The NFL will give up its tax-exempt status

Popeyejones

Reaction score
That may reduce the criticism the league takes for being a tax-exempt organization, but more important to the league, it removes the requirement that the NFL disclose the compensation of Commissioner Roger Goodell and other top executives.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right thing for the wrong reason. I'm not complaining.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
A bunch of people are pretty skeptical, it appears.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DannyPage/status/593096917774704641[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jrlind/status/593096670038089728[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sdkstl/status/593098386972086272[/tweet]

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jixhs4ke said:
That may reduce the criticism the league takes for being a tax-exempt organization, but more important to the league, it removes the requirement that the NFL disclose the compensation of Commissioner Roger Goodell and other top executives.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Right thing for the wrong reason. I'm not complaining.
I highly doubt they're doing it mainly so they can mask the commissioner's salary.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^

Oh, well, yeah. They're doing it in advance of Congress MAKING them do it because at the end of the day protecting their legal monopoly as granted by congress is much more important to them.

Rog's salary not getting reported annually is just a cherry, of course.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3spc8ixq said:
A bunch of people are pretty skeptical, it appears.

Those people are either idiots or full of it, IMO; complaining to complain.

Unless they're making an argument for why the NFL SHOULD be tax exempt, their opinions are meaningless, IMO.

(I refuse to take seriously people who think reporting R.G.'s salary is more important than the NFL not being subsidized further by the government as a non-profit organization, which has always been a joke).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":xpozpe7j said:
Wonder what this means for the cap number next season.

Raises by 35 million minus the 5 dollars that goes to the SAVE THE NFL campaign. :sarcasm_off:

RedAlice

Reaction score
Many STL fans take this as a sign that a certain owner cannot threaten to sue and therefore challenge the tax exempt status - meaning that it's yet another of many signs that the NFL is committed to the Rams staying in STL.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Honestly, I always thought it was something of a red herring anyway.

Peeps were always like "OMG, they get 9 Billion a year tax free!!!!"

uh, no. While the League Office was tax exempt, the TEAMS were not.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1odphnla said:

Nothing...that's based on TV deal. My guess is the income that goes to the League office is small to begin with. The Teams make all the money.

Goodells huge salary only lessens their tax burden because its a business expense...IE they are only taxed on the different between profit and expenditure. Don't be surprised if the NFL League Office loses money on paper next year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":188fdxmp said:

If anything, now the owner's will have an excuse to NOT raise the cap. "OMG LOOK AT THE TAXES WE HAD TO PAY LAST YEAR, WE'RE BROKE PEOPLE!!"

There's a lot of legalities to being tax exempt, so I'm sure the NFL bean counters did the math on the pros and cons to staying tax exempt, and decided paying taxes meant a LOT more disclosure and policy freedoms.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Can they go public and start selling shares on the open market?
Would you buy NFL shares, if they were for sale?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I would like to see them (along with all pro sports leagues) lose their anti-trust status. This is just a distraction by the NFL IMHO........

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3txjvnhe said:
Sarlacc83":3txjvnhe said:

If anything, now the owner's will have an excuse to NOT raise the cap. "OMG LOOK AT THE TAXES WE HAD TO PAY LAST YEAR, WE'RE BROKE PEOPLE!!"

There's a lot of legalities to being tax exempt, so I'm sure the NFL bean counters did the math on the pros and cons to staying tax exempt, and decided paying taxes meant a LOT more disclosure and policy freedoms.
Oh, the lockouts they do be a'comin'. :thfight7:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1n11rl2v said:
I would like to see them (along with all pro sports leagues) lose their anti-trust status. This is just a distraction by the NFL IMHO........
Agreed. I also want the MLPA destroyed utterly. But you're correct it's a ploy and distraction from just how much money is being made. I would bet my bottom dollar this has to do with legalized gambling.

Basically something smells bad in Denmark as the saying goes.

RedAlice

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":32e3fys5 said:
Sports Hernia":32e3fys5 said:
Agreed. I also want the MLPA destroyed utterly. But you're correct it's a ploy and distraction from just how much money is being made. I would bet my bottom dollar this has to do with legalized gambling.

Basically something smells bad in Denmark as the saying goes.

I agree 100% w MHG. In fact, I would take it a step further.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^That writer is trying to have it both ways. Of course it's legitimate to critique the race to the bottom that causes stupid local municialities to build stadiums for for-profit teams, but that's a completely separate issue, as it is negotiated between for-profit teams and their local municipalities.

The writer is correct that we're probably talking in the neighborhood of $10 million a year from the NFL giving up its non-profit status, but is wrong in dismissing that as nothing. In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot of money, but again, anybody who's criticizing this must make an argument for WHY U.S. taxpayers should be subsidizing the NFL with $10 million dollars every year. Is it worth $10 million a year in taxpayer funds to know Roger's salary? If so, make that argument. Nobody is though because it's a dumb argument to make. It's really only worth it to one group, who happens to be the group we're hearing from: reporters. There's a major principle-agent problem in all of this.

For a sports news outlet it's definitely worth the dollar or so (or less) a year they pay in taxes subsidizing the NFL tax exempt status to know Roger's salary; it's a big story every year and with the clicks it generates it's absolutely worth more than what they're personally losing in the subsidy. For everyone else though, the math is different:

Is there seriously anyone here who in an open market would pay any amount of money out of your pocket to know Rogers salary? If not, that's what we're doing.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Anyone offended by Roger's salary doesn't have to watch games.

Religions are tax exempt. Perhaps Roger is finally admitting he is not God?