Can anyone tell me why Adrian Peterson

glad2bdada3

Reaction score
Isn't in jail for what he did to his kid? Not to mention them talkin' about him playin' this yr.

Basis4day

Reaction score
For starters he plead no contest and never denied the allegations. The allegations related to him occurred in an area of the country where this form of punishment is more accepted and the prosecutors accepted his plea and worked out a punishment in accordance with his explanation.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Beacuase it wasn't a jailable offense and his lawyers did a good job for him when he got his day in court.

Unless your question is rhetorical or meant to be a statement the answer is very easy. You can check google, there a lot of articles as to why he isn't in jail.

Resources are stretched thin enough already, it would be an absolute waste to put Adrian Peterson in jail; keep him out where his tax contributions as a high level earner make him a societal asset.

mikeak

Reaction score
kobebryant":ng39k5mw said:
mikeak":ng39k5mw said:
Why isn't Ray Rice in prison?

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-0 ... nay-palmer

Accepted into a diversionary program.

Sorry should have clarified that it was a rethorical question....

I know what was ruled. I also know it is a disgrace and given to about 1% of those guilty of that crime in that area. Of course I wonder how many of those were on video commiting their crime....

The court basically said beat a woman, punch her senseless and get away with some community service...

drdiags

Reaction score
Why isn't every stalker, DMV convicted person across the country and folks with restraining orders not in jail?

Why is it that just athletes have to be above reproach. None of this stuff is right, but let's not act like only athletes are assholes and need to pay for their transgressions. There are elected officials, law enforcement, working stiffs that do these same things. Some pay the piper, others get a slap on the wrist.

mikeak

Reaction score
drdiags":r9e6esk1 said:
Why isn't every stalker, DMV convicted person across the country and folks with restraining orders not in jail?

Why is it that just athletes have to be above reproach. None of this stuff is right, but let's not act like only athletes are assholes and need to pay for their transgressions. There are elected officials, law enforcement, working stiffs that do these same things. Some pay the piper, others get a slap on the wrist.

Agree and as example IMHO Plexio got absolutely screwed solely because he was a high profile athlete

drrew

Reaction score
Don't know where you are from or where you have visited, but in Texas, especially smaller cities/towns like Palestine where Petersen is from, corporal punishment of a child isn't just accepted, it's expected.

Petersen actually faced more scrutiny and faced greater chargers for his actions than anyone else in that area would have faced for the exact same issue.

Not making excuses or arguing it's right, but this country is so big that different areas of the country might as be another world from a cultural perspective.

netskier

Reaction score
Corporal punishment past the bleeding point is acceptable in rural Texas?

Rob12

Reaction score
netskier":1lir9vnh said:
Corporal punishment past the bleeding point is acceptable in rural Texas?

I think that what Peterson did was out of line, but there is a definite arrogance to people that are ignorant of how other areas of the country operate. If you're from the PNW like me, you might as well just think that Peterson was born in Iran. It's a different world. 95 percent of my extended family is from the rural south, where parenting and punishment is a completely different ballgame.

My cousin texted me after this ordeal, and asked what the big deal was. He said a beating like that was another day in the park for him growing up. And, his dad was his best man in his wedding. They have a great relationship.

It's just different. It doesn't make it right in a general moralistic sense. I rarely, rarely spank my three sons, and again, I think what Peterson did was way overboard - but I'm not going to pretend to know his intent and motivations for doing what he did. I don't think the man is an unfit father, and I think what he experienced likely woke him up and helped him move beyond his own upbringing.

Just be careful with that broad brush and at least realize that he likely grew up MUCH different than you or I.

mikeak

Reaction score
The problem is that by condoning that standard it tells people in these communities that such punishment is still acceptable. By judging it a different message could have been sent....

Now AP shouldn't be punished for being famous but at the same time a proper standard should have been set

netskier

Reaction score
Child abuse tends to be transitive, with the victims growing up to be child abusers, and generally abusive.

I got lots of really red fannies growing up, and sometimes mom had to come out and tell dad that that was enough. But he never drew blood.

I just do not approve of beating kids past the point of drawing blood. I consider that brutality.

This is the sort of thing that could motivate a kid to grow up to become a cop, so they could beat people as part of their living.

Rob12

Reaction score
mikeak":1sxswbx3 said:
The problem is that by condoning that standard it tells people in these communities that such punishment is still acceptable. By judging it a different message could have been sent....

Now AP shouldn't be punished for being famous but at the same time a proper standard should have been set

Hoping that's not directed at me because I repeatedly said he went overboard. I don't condone what he did in the least.

My only point is that a) you likely grew up entirely different than him, and b) punishment like that in the south is not uncommon. A lot of loving parents do that. Doesn't make it right; but at least it offers a different perspective.

Rob12

Reaction score
netskier":7q541k0k said:
Child abuse tends to be transitive, with the victims growing up to be child abusers, and generally abusive.

I got lots of really red fannies growing up, and sometimes mom had to come out and tell dad that that was enough. But he never drew blood.

I just do not approve of beating kids past the point of drawing blood. I consider that brutality.

This is the sort of thing that could motivate a kid to grow up to become a cop, so they could beat people as part of their living.

Who needs you to approve? Certainly not AP. If he's smart, he has learned his lesson and will break generational cycles that have likely took place in his family forever.

If I ever spanked my sons to the point of drawing blood, it would break my heart and I would probably have an extremely hard time forgiving myself. Now, if I told that to my cousin in Tennessee, he'd tell me to quit being a *****. And therein lies the difference in our upbringings and geographical location.

I feel terrible for his son. But at the end of the day, I have a hard time judging AP as I believe he was doing what he thought was best for his son. Which, of course is mostly incomprehensible to most of us here at .NET. If nothing else, I hope it woke AP up and will break that generational cycle for him and his children.

mikeak

Reaction score
Rob12":38736hab said:
mikeak":38736hab said:

Hoping that's not directed at me because I repeatedly said he went overboard. I don't condone what he did in the least.

My only point is that a) you likely grew up entirely different than him, and b) punishment like that in the south is not uncommon. A lot of loving parents do that. Doesn't make it right; but at least it offers a different perspective.

Not at all directed at you - was directed at the judicial system that lets his acts and the acts of Rice go unpunished

I agree with your point that these things aren't uncommon in parts of our country. Those that never lived in certain parts of the country don't grasp that but at the same time those parts of the country won't grasp it if the law doesn't start to come down on the behavior.

Teachers in Alabama still have paddles and are allowed to use them...... grasp that living in the Northwest (also not directed at you :))

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=129974

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
I grew up in the ne and don't think there is anything wrong with cp. so it's not limited to a southern thing.

mikeak

Reaction score
NOLAHawk":1dt5jsiz said:
I grew up in the ne and don't think there is anything wrong with cp. so it's not limited to a southern thing.

including using a branch causing open wounds all over legs and scrotum?

netskier

Reaction score
Corporal punishment that causes medical injuries, such as bleeding, broken bones, or brain damage? What are your boundaries?

I call medical injury in punishment brutality, and I do believe in non-injurious corporal punishment.