Rams and 49ers drafting habits

kearly

Reaction score
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

Tical21

Reaction score
That dude could be a franchise changer. If Foles is any good, and I've always thought he was going to be, they just got verrrry dangerous. They're a playmaker or two at LB or safety away.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Tical21":39alsthe said:
That dude could be a franchise changer. If Foles is any good, and I've always thought he was going to be, they just got verrrry dangerous. They're a playmaker or two at LB or safety away.

The Rams still have quite a few holes . . . all over their offensive line (OT, G, C) , WR, TE, FS, LB, CB, etc. Their greatest weakness edges against Foles' greatest weakness.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I was thinking it and my 11 year old son said it. "Don't they already have Tre Mason?" Yeah, I know. Mason may not be Gurley. But, Mason is a good back. The Hawks had a tough time stopping him.

So, not sure that the Rams actually got significantly better with this pick. They already had a stable of backs with Mason, Pead and Stacey. They could have gone in other directions that would've helped them get better as a football team. I thought it was the wrong pick for that team at this time. Has the potential to be just a flash in the pan.

Tical21

Reaction score
IMO Gurley was the best football player in this draft, and the highest rated RB coming out since AD. Titans and Jags are going to regret not taking him.

mistaowen

Reaction score
yikesstacy-1u9-web.jpg

Right after they drafted Gurley. He's since deleted it, hilarious though.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Way to fight for your spot there Stacy, wow.
I hate the pick, because it makes them a better team.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":8iww1sli said:
Way to fight for your spot there Stacy, wow.
I hate the pick, because it makes them a better team.

Makes it more understandable as to why they drafted another running back now.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kearly":1kku4vlr said:
Snead and Baalke love drafting big name / hyped prospects. At least so far, that seems to be continuing.

I have mixed feelings about Gurley as a Ram. On the one hand, he's probably not going to play much if at all next season, and even if he did his OL is awful. But in the long term, he's got some DeMarco Murray to his game and I could see him wearing out our D by the 4th quarter.

Having Gurley in the division isn't great news, but at least Rams games just got a hell of a lot more interesting.

As far as Baalke, that seems to be his MO later in the draft as he's always said he values college production over most anything else, but his first rounder's commonly aren't big hype players. Most Niner fans on the 'zone are always like "WTF!?! They could have gotten him 2 rounds later!!!" and then are much happier with their later round picks simply because they've heard of them.

Gurley...man I was dreading that would be the pick. Dunno if he'll be the beast some say and he runs kinda upright, but if he's what people think he could be...that's gonna hurt. Lynch or Gurley 4 games a year? Sheesh.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I love Gurley, but this is what St. Louis does. Every year, they take the "big name" in round 1 -- Tavon Austin, Greg Robinson/Aaron Donald, Gurley -- and then everyone quivers. Then, without fail, they finish .500 or less and get no better.

There ain't much creativity in that front office, and, so far, it hasn't helped them.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Gurley was certainly a risk, but when you're a team like the Rams taking a risk on a game changing player is a necessity sometimes..........and Gurley could be that kind of player.

Is Gurley going to elevate the Rams to the top of the NFC? No, but he could round out that offense with Foles and make the Rams a VERY dangerous team, with a defense that already gives teams fits, including us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2272yivr said:
And we get him in the opener

Possibility Gurley won't even be ready to play, so arguably the best time to play the Rams.

ringless

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":luz88ri8 said:
SoulfishHawk":luz88ri8 said:

Possibility Gurley won't even be ready to play, so arguably the best time to play the Rams.

Yes I think its highly unlikely Gurley plays this season, let alone 9-10 months removed from a torn ACL... He would miss all of training camp, practices, and games. The Rams could be cautious in bringing him back this season. It wasn't too long ago one of their first round picks had back to back season sending injuries

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
hawknation2015":30f0jco1 said:
Tical21":30f0jco1 said:

The Rams still have quite a few holes . . . all over their offensive line (OT, G, C) , WR, TE, FS, LB, CB, etc. Their greatest weakness edges against Foles' greatest weakness.

If the Rams take the remaining rounds of the draft and fix FS, LB, CB positions, how different would they be from the Seahawks over the last couple of years?

RedAlice

Reaction score
ringless":1gz2abm8 said:
Sgt. Largent":1gz2abm8 said:
SoulfishHawk":1gz2abm8 said:

Yes I think its highly unlikely Gurley plays this season, let alone 9-10 months removed from a torn ACL... He would miss all of training camp, practices, and games. The Rams could be cautious in bringing him back this season. It wasn't too long ago one of their first round picks had back to back season sending injuries

Fisher already said in his presser that they will take it slow with him. I hope they don't rush anything, let him heal - maybe he doesn't even play until late in the year.

Gurley should be great by the 2016 season. :D

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3234t63p said:
hawknation2015":3234t63p said:
Tical21":3234t63p said:

If the Rams take the remaining rounds of the draft and fix FS, LB, CB positions, how different would they be from the Seahawks over the last couple of years?

The problem with that is they don't have the luxury to do so. They really need to focus on the Oline. And, perhaps a swipe at the other little position that is an issue.