NFL teams support the troops...for money

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Certain teams have been making money off of promotions supporting military personnel.

The Seahawks are not one of those teams. Or are not listed in this report, anyway.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-teams-paid-to-thank-troops-at-games/ar-BBjrIxA

The biggest paid advertisers (let's call it what it is) for the US military are the Atlanta Falcons, Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills, Minnesota Vikings, and Green Bay Packers. All of those collected at least 600,000 dollars over the last few years to promote the military. Atlanta got more than a million dollars.

Is this a new low for the NFL?

drrew

Reaction score
There is nothing in that article indicating that the teams are getting money for their 'support the troops' campaigns.

All branches of the military spend tens of millions of dollars each year on marketing, and this article says:

"This does not mean, of course, that all halftime events featuring troops or veterans are paid promotions."

In fact, it doesn't mean that necessarily any halftime events are paid promotions. There are any number of legitimate marking opportunities they are likely paying the teams more.

Just seems like false outrage just for the sake of it,

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
To better understand this, what one needs to do is understand marketing. I am NOT a marketing major, I am an electronics tech retired from the Air Force. That being said, the services spend money on marketing just like the old billboards back in WW2 timeframe. That paper did not come free, it was paid for by taxes and such. I also read some of the comments in that article. I thought they were interesting for not knowing all the situation. Football teams think of all sources of income as just that....another source of income. Some of these teams allow servicemen/servicewomen to get to the games for cheaper prices in decent seats. I may be trying to do the same in the near future.

The above being said, Budweiser (that company from Belgium) has spent millions of dollars in advertising per week. The Clydesdales get hay for this of course. What I mean to say here is Advertising costs money. And if the TELEVISION stations charge for advertisements and parts of that advertising go to the team that is allowing that promotion, that is what makes that team make it for that year. Remember that all these games are a business. Each team is a separate portion of that business and will do what it can to PROMOTE itself with any and all advertisers.

The National Guard units get funding from both the state and the Federal Govt. If they need to promote themselves to keep the amount of personnel their unit needs to be effective in their unit assignment, then so be it. All advertisers promote something to keep people's minds active in support of what they are promoting, be it soccer, golf, Football, or any other activity they can grace money from. And some people need that distraction more than you know. Done with my diatribe.....

GO HAWKS

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
It's an ongoing low for our nation. Our military doesn't NEED advertising. This is just the military industrial complex imposing its will upon our society. The money doesn't buy advertising, it buys access. It buys power. It buys political clout.

This is how they control the air waves, the media. This is all a part of their giant propaganda machine that controls the american public.

You should watch Good Night and Good Luck.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zh1b03c said:
Is this a new low for the NFL?

Well at least now if the NFL takes money for thanking the troops at least they'll have to pay taxes on it.

Smellyman

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":23hlti1e said:
It's an ongoing low for our nation. Our military doesn't NEED advertising. This is just the military industrial complex imposing its will upon our society. The money doesn't buy advertising, it buys access. It buys power. It buys political clout.

This is how they control the air waves, the media. This is all a part of their giant propaganda machine that controls the american public.

You should watch Good Night and Good Luck.

this