Chris Simms tries to cover NFL's ass

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.c ... gal-limit/

“I’ll say this right off the bat,” Simms said on CBS Sports Radio’s Tiki and Tierney. “He’s the only one I know that goes below the legal limit. I will say that. That’s for sure.”

To which I say Bullshit. They're all doing it. How do I know this? I did a study, which I posted here a few months ago, showing the effects different rules changes had upon the QB throughout the history of the NFL. And you know what had one of the biggest impacts on the QB position? Letting the teams handle their own footballs.

Not just the Patriots. EVERY team.

The NFL just wants people like Simms making CYA statements like these to keep the lid on the magnitude of the scandal.

You can read my entire article here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108895

Here's a bit from the pertinent section of my article:

No, I'm not saying the Patriots are cheaters. I'm just saying that from that day forward, the completion rate jumped past 60% and never dipped below it again, having never reached that level before and for no apparent reason. TD% started climbing back above 4%, INT% started dropping to record lows, AY/A and ANY/A started climbing to record levels and never before in the history of the NFL did all these stats suddenly climb without a major change in the game.

I'm saying that change allowed all the teams to inflate the ball to their QB's preference. Not just the Patriots. EVERY NFL TEAM. The effect was dramatic and instantaneous. Since 2007, the TD% has reached 4.2 or better 7 of 8 years. It reached 4.2 or better only 7 times total from 1978 to 2006. The INT% was 3.1 or better 8 of 8 years from 2007. It dipped that low only 5 times in NFL history prior. Every stat across the board did the exact same thing. QB's became like gods. Not just the superstars. The league as a whole improved as if the Greek Gods had descended to play QB for America's game.
Either that or it's global warming.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
So the 2007 rule benefited quarterbacks and receivers alike. Teams are allowed to scuff up the balls or otherwise manipulate the surface as well as inflate or deflate them within prescribed limits. Are you implying (or outright stating) that ALL of the teams inflate their balls above or below the league limits? That doesn't seem likely.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I think he is saying all teams manipulate the footballs.
I don't think he's saying all teams go above or below specified limits.
I also think he is pointing out that being able to adjust the ball helps the players that touch it most often.
Ie. QB WR RB.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":j3uxsfre said:
http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2015/05/08/chris-simms-brady-the-only-qb-to-go-below-legal-limit/

“I’ll say this right off the bat,” Simms said on CBS Sports Radio’s Tiki and Tierney. “He’s the only one I know that goes below the legal limit. I will say that. That’s for sure.”

To which I say Bullshit. They're all doing it.

<snip>

I'm saying that change allowed all the teams to inflate the ball to their QB's preference. Not just the Patriots. EVERY NFL TEAM. The effect was dramatic and instantaneous. Since 2007, the TD% has reached 4.2 or better 7 of 8 years. It reached 4.2 or better only 7 times total from 1978 to 2006. The INT% was 3.1 or better 8 of 8 years from 2007. It dipped that low only 5 times in NFL history prior. Every stat across the board did the exact same thing. QB's became like gods. Not just the superstars. The league as a whole improved as if the Greek Gods had descended to play QB for America's game.
[/quote]

It kinda sounds like he's saying that every team manipulates the balls until they're no longer compliant with the rules. Which is just not true. The fact that every team customizes their footballs to the QB's preference doesn't excuse Brady and his texting minions from taking it too far. Manipulation is fine, but stay within the rules.

kearly

Reaction score
Adding to that, Brock Huard and Tim Hasselbeck said on the radio this week that they had never seen a QB go outside the parameters with ball inflation in their experiences. And between the two of them, they had been on a decent number of teams.

Though obviously, Brady was not completely alone on this. For example, Aaron Rodgers admitted to wanting his footballs a little above the PSI limit, so there is proof that Brady wasn't alone. It is very likely there were a few other QBs who liked to live outside the lines a bit too.

The real difference is that Rodgers was honest about it and Brady is not. The infraction itself is like a speeding ticket, the real crime was how Brady handled it.

vonstout

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":cnfyg565 said:
kearly":cnfyg565 said:
The real difference is that Rodgers was honest about it and Brady is not. The infraction itself is like a speeding ticket, the real crime was how Brady handled it.

Well that and Rodgers hasn't been caught over inflating his footballs after the ref inspection. Pretty big discrepancy.

Exactly. I think a lot of teams have had the balls outside of the pressure range PRIOR to inspection. If the officials don't catch it, that's one thing. Altering them after inspection, like the Pats have been doing is totally different.

rideaducati

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2rsyogma said:
http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2015/05/08/chris-simms-brady-the-only-qb-to-go-below-legal-limit/

To which I say Bullshit. They're all doing it. How do I know this? I did a study, which I posted here a few months ago, showing the effects different rules changes had upon the QB throughout the history of the NFL. And you know what had one of the biggest impacts on the QB position? Letting the teams handle their own footballs.

The NFL just wants people like Simms making CYA statements like these to keep the lid on the magnitude of the scandal.

You can read my entire article here:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=108895

Here's a bit from the pertinent section of my article:

No, I'm not saying the Patriots are cheaters. I'm just saying that from that day forward, the completion rate jumped past 60% and never dipped below it again, having never reached that level before and for no apparent reason. TD% started climbing back above 4%, INT% started dropping to record lows, AY/A and ANY/A started climbing to record levels and never before in the history of the NFL did all these stats suddenly climb without a major change in the game.

Does EVERY team deflate the balls AFTER they have been checked by the officials? I don't think they do. The rule change allowed teams to do a lot of things to the ball, but none of them were allowed to be done AFTER they had been turned in to the officials and I don't believe that EVERY team manipulates the ball AFTER they have been turned in.

Every team got better in all those areas because they followed the rules that were allowed. The Patriots however, went further and deflated the ball AFTER the officials checked the inflation which gave them a competitive advantage and would explain their plays/fumble being MUCH better than any other team in the league...including indoor teams. There is no other plausible explanation for them to be so much better in that area until now.

For me, the damning proof will come after this season WHEN we see the Patriots fumble the ball a lot more than they have in the past five years. I have no doubt that they will because it is a lot easier to force a fumble when the ball is fully inflated and the league is going to be watching them like a hawk this year.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
kearly":g5fylzo2 said:
Adding to that, Brock Huard and Tim Hasselbeck said on the radio this week that they had never seen a QB go outside the parameters with ball inflation in their experiences. And between the two of them, they had been on a decent number of teams.

Though obviously, Brady was not completely alone on this. For example, Aaron Rodgers admitted to wanting his footballs a little above the PSI limit, so there is proof that Brady wasn't alone. It is very likely there were a few other QBs who liked to live outside the lines a bit too.

Agree. He obfuscated the investigation, refused to give them emails/tweets--he acted like a perp. After the spying thing NE is already this skuzzy, no-integrety organization, and that's how the NFL treated them. They should've jacked them worse. Warren Moon said if he'd cooperated, it would've been just a fine.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pmedic920":2k3928cm said:
I think he is saying all teams manipulate the footballs.
I don't think he's saying all teams go above or below specified limits.
I also think he is pointing out that being able to adjust the ball helps the players that touch it most often.
Ie. QB WR RB.

This, and if Brady wasn't manipulating the footballs to an illegal psi level, then why'd he lie about it?

If you told your equipment guys "hey, get the balls to the lowest LEGAL level possible for me" then that's what you'd say in the numerous interviews, press conferences and Wells interview.

But no, Brady did his golly gee I don't even know about those darn footballs...........which equals liar.

lobohawk

Reaction score
kearly":1caivzar said:

Thought it was funny when the topic first came up regarding QBs' preferences and the differences between them, Russell's response was he didn't have a preference....just throw what he's given.