Justin Smith Retiring...

Marvin49

Reaction score
San Francisco 49ers ‏@49ers · 1m1 minute ago
#49ers DT Justin Smith, a five-time Pro Bowler, will retire from the NFL. #FarewellCowboy

http://49rs.co/tuC506

CFUDJCkXIAECdhD

Doh...guess we'll see what the young guys got.

nanomoz

Reaction score
He's one of the best pure football players I've ever watched. Godspeed, Mr. Smith!

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Hell of a player, he will be missed for an NFL standpoint. From a Seahawks related standpoint, that would be different entirely.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I will miss watching this guy dismantle the Cards and Rams OL's, but I won't be missing watching him beat up our continually under reconstruction OL.

Was a great player. Just more for the 49ers to over come this offseason, although it's not much of a surprise.

Who they got waiting to take his spot Marvin? He any good ?

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Hawks46":2bjspkcu said:
I will miss watching this guy dismantle the Cards and Rams OL's, but I won't be missing watching him beat up our continually under reconstruction OL.

Was a great player. Just more for the 49ers to over come this offseason, although it's not much of a surprise.

Who they got waiting to take his spot Marvin? He any good ?

They have a number of bodies to fill that spot, but a lot of question marks. I like all the guys they are gonna give a chance, but most of them need to prove themselves and all will be very different players than Justin.

1) Tank Carradine (2nd round, 2013): Played 4-3 end at Florida State AND tore his ACL so came into the league changing positions and injured. As Tomsula put it, he had to go from rushing like a Ferrari off the edge to playing in a phone booth. Also still had trouble with the knee as a rookie so had second procedure.

Started to play well late in the season, but still largely a ?.

2) Quinton DIal (5th round, 2013): Was a 3-4 end in college and not much of a pass rusher. BIG and powerful. Played well last year in relief and played DT as well when both Williams and Dorsey were out. Tomsula said recently though that he really viewed him as a 3-4 end.

3) Arik Armstead (1st round, 2015): We all know who he is...6'7" RAW ex- basketball player. Actually played the position at Oregon so might transition faster than some think, but certainly needs work and refinement.

4) Darnell Dockett (Free Agent 2015): Not the player he once was, never a great run defender, and coming off an ACL. Still, nice vet presence but not close to the player Justin was.

There are a few others...Ramsey, Jerod-Eddie, etc, but those are probably the 4 with the biggest role in playing this year.

Dorsey might get a shot to move out there as well.

Excited to see those first 3 get a shot in particular, but in no way to I expect them to replicate Justin. Lots of aging players out and lots of chances for young players this year. We'll see how well Baalke has stockpiled the last three years.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":1iq0j0uj said:
Marvin49":1iq0j0uj said:
Excited to see those first 3 get a shot in particular, but in no way to I expect them to replicate Justin. Lots of aging players out and lots of chances for young players this year. We'll see how well Baalke has stockpiled the last three years.

As long as they know how to hold and get away with it, they'll replace him just fine. Most overrated player ever.

Right.

If you say so Peaches. Kinda hope you're right to be honest but I highly doubt it. The players he played against would disagree with you.

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":57tq13c0 said:
Marvin49":57tq13c0 said:
peachesenregalia":57tq13c0 said:
Marvin49":57tq13c0 said:

As long as they know how to hold and get away with it, they'll replace him just fine. Most overrated player ever.

Right.

If you say so Peaches. Kinda hope you're right to be honest but I highly doubt it. The players he played against would disagree with you.

*yawn* Just calling it like I see it. Dude played 14 seasons, and that defense was only decent for like 3 of those seasons. And there were a LOT of high draft picks on there, too. Blame coaching all you want, but I would never put that fat redneck into 'elite' category.

Yer a riot. :D

Who said anything about "blaming" anyone for anything? The players who played against him regarded him as one of the best in the game. I'll take their opinion over yours.

...but here's hoping you're right and the guys who replace him are better than him. Wouldn't mind that one bit.

BTW, Team Def rankings with Justin...

2014: 5th
2013: 4th
2012: 3rd
2011: 4th
2010: 13th
2009: 15th
2008: 13th

2007 (year before Justin signed): 25th
2006: 26th
2005: 32nd

Yeah...I see what you mean. No difference at all there.

rlkats

Reaction score
Yup he holds peaches. Just as much as Sherman. Lol they all do it.

rlkats

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2r6h0ypv said:
rlkats":2r6h0ypv said:
Yup he holds peaches. Just as much as Sherman. Lol they all do it.

Ah, the old "lol everyone does it!' defense. Smith was a good not great d-lineman. Nothing more.

Sorry peaches. If you ever get to talk to your head coach or manager (never will happen) ask them if they would want a healthy cowboy. I think their answer would be hell ya. I would take a healthy Justin over anyone on your D line anyday.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I'll be interested to see just how good Alldumb is without him on the field. My guess? Average at best. Alldumb had 19.5 sacks through 13 games in 2012, then couldn't manage one after Justin Smith tore his bicep against the Patriots. That's also the game that the 49ers nearly blew a 31-3 3rd quarter lead. They wound up winning 41-34. Take a wild guess which quarter Justin Smith got hurt in?

PS - A week later we slaughtered the Niners 42-13 in their worst loss of the Harbaugh era. Best sporting event I ever attended.

rlkats

Reaction score
Maulbert":wfgq7ubt said:
I'll be interested to see just how good Alldumb is without him on the field. My guess? Average at best. Alldumb had 19.5 sacks through 13 games in 2012, then couldn't manage one after Justin Smith tore his bicep against the Patriots. That's also the game that the 49ers nearly blew a 31-3 3rd quarter lead. They wound up winning 41-34. Take a wild guess which quarter Justin Smith got hurt in?

PS - A week later we slaughtered the Niners 42-13 in their worst loss of the Harbaugh era. Best sporting event I ever attended.

Ya that will be interesting. As I feel the same way. Justin was huge for Aldon Smith. We will see.

P.S super bowl between the hawks and the cheaters. Best sporting event I ever seen. The look on Shermans face priceless.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rlkats":2wdc84wk said:
Maulbert":2wdc84wk said:

Ya that will be interesting. As I feel the same way. Justin was huge for Aldon Smith. We will see.

P.S super bowl between the hawks and the cheaters. Best sporting event I ever seen. The look on Shermans face priceless.

Agree with you RL, that super bowl was one of the best sporting events I have ever seen also. Wish we would have come out on the winning end but even so it was the 2nd in a row and we are still the odds on favorite to be back. So while a win is always preferable I would still take my lumps in a super bowl loss rather than to not make the playoffs or be eliminated in any round before it.

As for Cowboy? Yeah one of the all time greats and will likely be in the HOF one day and deservedly so. It definitely will be interesting to see how Aldon and that defense perform without him and his leadership. And yes in his prime he was better than anyone currently on the Seahawks D-line. No shame in saying that the man was a beast.

rlkats

Reaction score
RichNhansom":28dqsze9 said:
rlkats":28dqsze9 said:
Maulbert":28dqsze9 said:

Agree with you RL, that super bowl was one of the best sporting events I have ever seen also. Wish we would have come out on the winning end but even so it was the 2nd in a row and we are still the odds on favorite to be back. So while a win is always preferable I would still take my lumps in a super bowl loss rather than to not make the playoffs or be eliminated in any round before it.

As for Cowboy? Yeah one of the all time greats and will likely be in the HOF one day and deservedly so. It definitely will be interesting to see how Aldon and that defense perform without him and his leadership. And yes in his prime he was better than anyone currently on the Seahawks D-line. No shame in saying that the man was a beast.

Agree with everything. Your spot on. I was just stirring crap with Maulbert and his 42-13 chest pounding lol. Although as a niner fan the ending was bitter sweet. Good to see the hawks lose but bad to see the cheaters win. Wish both lost lol. Great game besides.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Possibly the best player on that team the last 5 or so years. He will be missed, badly.
Enjoy your retirement Justin. I do hope you've invested well.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Best troll is home field troll. :lol:

Maulbert

Reaction score
rlkats":1oj2k5u6 said:
RichNhansom":1oj2k5u6 said:
rlkats":1oj2k5u6 said:
Maulbert":1oj2k5u6 said:

Agree with everything. Your spot on. I was just stirring crap with Maulbert and his 42-13 chest pounding lol. Although as a niner fan the ending was bitter sweet. Good to see the hawks lose but bad to see the cheaters win. Wish both lost lol. Great game besides.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough disposable income to watch my team play at home more than every couple of seasons, let alone going to watch my biggest rival play on the grandest stage, rlkats. But whatever floats your boat. Lngue2

OP
OP
M

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":2416x8dm said:

oh BTW, Aldon also tore his labrum late that year, but I don't want to ruin a good story. Lord knows Justin has produced a ton of 19.5 sack players in his time...

...wait...what?

Funny...I got one guy here saying Justin was totally overrated and another who says he's so good he's responsible for a guy who got 19.5 sacks.

IMO, OF COURSE Justin being there was a benefit to Aldon, but suggesting he'll be "average at best" is rather ludicrous.