Ryan Tannehill Signs Extension through 2020

kidhawk

Reaction score
Haven't heard the details yet, but this is the type of thing that could set the starting point for Wilson's negotiations. There's no way he'll be paid less than him, so it will be interesting to see what the deal ends up being.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/600390574093574144[/tweet]

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Whatever he gets give wilson 500k more and call it good. Tanehill is a very fair comparison.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":mi42oc4j said:
Whatever he gets give wilson 500k more and call it good. Tanehill is a very fair comparison.

Tannehill hasn't accomplished nearly as much. Going to back to back Super Bowls puts him closer to Flacco territory than Tannehill territory.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/600394897204649985[/tweet]

Initial numbers are 6 years/$96 million with $45 million in guaranteed money.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
kidhawk":24mn2ec7 said:
TheRealDTM":24mn2ec7 said:

Tannehill hasn't accomplished nearly as much. Going to back to back Super Bowls puts him closer to Flacco territory than Tannehill territory.

I completely agree and I'm sure this is one of the sticking points in negotations for Russell. He is more accomplished, but only in the team sense, Tannehill is asked to do alot more than RW is.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2pus100t said:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha, how is that a fair comparison?

Or is this more of that "satire" we've come to know you by?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1lsc8g52 said:
TheRealDTM":1lsc8g52 said:
Hahahahahahahahahahaha, how is that a fair comparison?

Or is this more of that "satire" we've come to know you by?

Not satire no

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G
11 Ryan Tannehill, QB MIA 392 590 66.4 4,045 6.86 50 27 12 46 92.8 253
15 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 285 452 63.1 3,475 7.69 80 20 7 42 95.0 217

RW has been on the more successful team I don't think he's done nearly as much to make them successful as he thinks. I think RW is worth more than Tannehill but not by much maybe 1 million a year or so more.

Furthermore Tannehill had zero run game and a shit o-line, he was asked to do more to contribute to the teams offense and still put up favorable numbers. They were drafted in the same year, they are the same age. They are both athletically gifted players.

I get it that you think i'm an idiot but stop and consider before you drop 1000 ha has

edit: source http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/playe ... ssingYards

DavidSeven

Reaction score
There's a lot of ways to look at this deal. In terms of a pure money/years ($96M/6), you're looking at a $16M/year deal. However, if you accept that Tannehill was already guaranteed his salary next year and his fifth-year option, it looks more like a $77M/4 deal ($19.4M/year).

This is good in the sense that there is now an established floor for Wilson. That being said, Wilson is a far more valuable and proven commodity in this league than Tannehill. Based on pure market factors, he should make more than Tannehill (maybe even a substantial amount).

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
McGruff":gdtfoq94 said:
Factor in rushing by the Qb and how does the comparison fair?

I mean you've got me there RW ran for 800 Tannehill for 300 but is that the point you want to bring up when discussing franchise qb contracts?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
DavidSeven":148fbow6 said:
There's a lot of ways to look at this deal. In terms of a pure money/years ($96M/6), you're looking at a $16M/year deal. However, if you accept that Tannehill was already guaranteed his salary next year and his fifth-year option, it looks more like a $77M/4 deal ($19.4M/year).

This is good in the sense that there is now an established floor for Wilson. That being said, Wilson is a far more valuable and proven commodity in this league than Tannehill. Based on pure market factors, he should make more than Tannehill (maybe even a substantial amount).
This is a good way to look at the deal. Like you said, this is basically a 4 year extension and the money seems to be right.

McGruff

Reaction score
For their career, they have almost identical yards from scrimmage, but Wilson has far fewer negative plays and a career Qb rating almost 15 points higher. AND three playoff appearances, two superbowls and one world championship.

Add in the fact that in three years Wilson made less than 3 million total while Tannehill brought home over 12 . . .

And yes, in today's nfl with Russell Wilson, you absolutely factor in rushing yards.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1au1u2c6 said:

This is pretty much how I'm looking at it as well, although I don't believe his option was guaranteed, and his new contract carries $45 million in guarantees. I'd guess that he got somewhere around $25 million for a signing bonus, then the next 2 years (which were already under contract for anyway) became guaranteed with perhaps some roster bonuses and such worked into the latter years.

It will be interesting to see all the terms of this deal, as it will likely set Wilson's floor.

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Switch QB's and the Hawks are still a "deep into the playoff team", while the Phins would be on the outside looking in.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
DTexHawk":3np43rzu said:
Switch QB's and the Hawks are still a "deep into the playoff team", while the Phins would be on the outside looking in.
And you know this based on what exactly?

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2061c9o7 said:
DTexHawk":2061c9o7 said:
And you know this based on what exactly?

It's called an opinion.

Hawks are a great team, Phins are not but could become one.

IMO

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/600407960410521601[/tweet]

This seems to confirm that they have extended the deal leaving the last 2 years intact. With these numbers, I can't see Wilson signing for under $20 million. Obviously when you factor in this year, the contract may average less than that, but the extension will be $20 million per year at a minimum.

mikeak

Reaction score
McGruff":37gdvavn said:
Add in the fact that in three years Wilson made less than 3 million total while Tannehill brought home over 12 . . .

And yes, in today's nfl with Russell Wilson, you absolutely factor in rushing yards.

This factors in two ways

1) Tannehill can take "a discount". In the sense that this is made on top of his previously earned money means he will make more than $100 million if he plays it out and worst case he gets $12million plus guaranteed $45 million. That is a pretty decent earning.............

2) RW may want to play catch-up

It does however NOT factor into RWs market value. You didn't say it does but just pointing that out. RWs market value by all other teams is his future promise. Seattle could be asked to pay retroactive but are only bidding against themselves if doing so......

Like Yankees overpaying for Jeter

huskylawyer

Reaction score
The deal gives Wilson more leverage IMHO. Tannehill is a borderline above average QB, but not in Wilson's class. Thinking that he would come here and have the same success is laughable (how quickly people forget the Tavaris Jackson experiment). He was pretty below average his fist two years, has had some decent talent around him on the offensive side of the ball, but it still maddeningly inconsistent. And RW's rushing (6.1 per car, 34% of his runs go for first down, 11 TDs and 1800 yards if memory serves me correctly) give Wilson the clear edge. I'm not really sold on him--Dolphins being the Dolphins.

Cam will likely get more, and RW will likely argue he should get more than both, which seems reasonable.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kidhawk":1yqowtgz said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/600407960410521601[/tweet]

This seems to confirm that they have extended the deal leaving the last 2 years intact. With these numbers, I can't see Wilson signing for under $20 million. Obviously when you factor in this year, the contract may average less than that, but the extension will be $20 million per year at a minimum.

Rumor has it that the Hawks offered 4 years 80 million and he's turned it down.

It makes sense. you're seeing above average QBs get 16-18 mil per year, so offer Russ 20 and see what happens. Russ is probably asking for 25, knowing he isn't going to get it. I see it getting done at around 22 mil/year.