will Hardy's suspension hold up?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":40bqa2ou said:
I personally think he should have gotten a least another year.

I think with all types of punishment you reach a point of diminishing returns.

I'm ABSOLUTELY not defending Hardy's actions (by a long shot), but already we're talking about suspending him for what could end up being a quarter of his career.

I think one of the major problems with the NFL under Goodell's stewardship is that punishments are basically just public relations devices, and there's seemingly not an ounce of thought given to actually CURBING the actions of players or trying to rehabilitate them into BETTER people than when they committed the act or acts that got them suspended.

Are future players not going to engage in acts of domestic violence because they'll be effectively suspended for three years and not two years? It's really rare to PLAN and think rationally about physically abusing your romantic partner, so I really doubt that. I sincerely don't think there's a single NFL player who in the heat of the moment is doing the mental calculations to say "I'm so mad that beating her up is worth two years of suspension, but not three!"

Instead, rather than having a guy like Hardy sit around at home for two years, why in the world aren't there preconditions on his return? He's suspended for some length of time, and while he's suspended he has to engage in serious psychological counseling to get to the root issue and develop strategies to control himself to never do something like this again, and those professionals have to sign off on him being ready to return.

If you're trading multi-year suspensions I think the NFLPA would jump at this in a heartbeat, and it would actually ADDRESS the issue rather than just treating it as a P.R. stunt to flex the muscles of your control.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't totally disagree with the above post. The league is at fault, and they've dropped the ball frequently when it comes to DV. IMHO he (Hardy) is lucky he is allowed to play at all in the NFL. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think their should be harsher penalties for most DV cases, and was against drafting Frank Clark. But I'll step off my soapbox........ 8)

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like his suspension is reduced from 10 games to 4 games according to multiple twitter reports

Edit to add link: [urltargetblank]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000500985/article/greg-hardy-suspension-reduced-to-four-games[/urltargetblank]

"Harold Henderson's decision on the Greg Hardy appeal is in. Suspension upheld...reduced from 10 to 4 games," NFL spokesperson Greg Aiello tweeted.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Good news for Cowboys and Panthers (who want the comp pick). Hardy says he'll fight anything over two so it might not be over.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
So its safe to say Brady will only get his reduced. Might not even get suspended at all. Smh.

ringless

Reaction score
I was watching this closely because Darryl Washington's supposed offense was done before the new rules went into effect and we are waiting to here what the suspension will be for his 2013 incident...

Daryl was trying to his his child as he had the right to do through the courts. The mother refused to let him take the child and an argument ensued in which he went downstairs and she assaulted him by throwing a potted plant at him from the balcony, then proceeded to run downstairs and chasing him to his car. The next part is unclear on who was trying to take who's phone away at this point but then he got into the drivers seat of his car in which she was blocking from being closed as he was trying to leave and he pushed her at which point she hit the pavement and broke her collarbone.

Hardys was a much more violent and intense situation. While Washington's was escalated repeatedly by the female. Not that it gave him the right to push her. However she did refuse to let him see his child on his scheduled visitation, she did throw a potted plant at him, then chase him to his car and refused to let him leave. He did complete his probation and his anger management course and was released early off probation for his Misdemeanor offense. I really feel if Hardy got 4 games, then Washington should have no more than 3 for a much less severe offense if you'd call it that.

ctrcat

Reaction score
^ Huh? Even if THIS suspension holds which it should not as he will hopefully will continue to fight, he'd still have served 21 games. Nicole Holder had no broken collarbone and refused treatment for any injuries whatsoever. How is that more violent? This was no baby momma drama, this was a gold digging leech that got exactly what she wanted. The charges were completely dropped and he's already sat over a years' worth of games!!

ringless

Reaction score
Two very different situations. Greg hardy threatened to kill her.

Washington repeatedly tried to leave. Got a potted plant thrown at him from a 2nd story balcony and was chased to his car. He simply pushed her while seated in his drivers seat because she wouldn't let him leave. She escalated the situation over and over and assaulted him. If anything I'd consider his push self defense. It's not like he attacked her or beat her. She escalated. He tried to be responsible and was leaving. Even a female attorney and woman's advocate for the NFL said on air that his baby mama should be responsible and that this was intentional to get Washington into trouble

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hardy is a complete wingnut freak but was acquitted of all charges. Even threatening to kill someone, if found guilty, is only a misdemeanor in NC. So far he's missed 17 games after the league hypocritically allowed him to play with zero fanfare week 1 last year. His "incident" occurred before the "new policy" so even "IF" he threatened to kill her, he "should" have received far less than 6 games. Even "IF" the league decided to go by the "new policy" which was after his incident, we're talking 6 games maximum IF FOUND GUILTY. He obviously appealed his sham feminist judge bench trial verdict and of course the charges were eventually dropped. ZERO chance a jury of his peers would have convicted the guy. In summary, as of now, he's received three times the punishment he should have received even if every single thing Nicole Holder said was true was true. More than that if even this four game suspension holds.

I knew very little about Washington. Thanks for the insight. But no way can Hardy be considered more violent when there was no treatment of injuries whatsoever and the physical evidence said "he said/she said".

Hawks46

Reaction score
Each is different, and I don't know all the specifics, but in all honestly, the league is taking on a huge amount of liability in trying to be the correctional agency here.

Hardy wasn't convicted of anything. If you're not convicted in a court of law, in this country, you're not guilty. Hardy still has possession and ownership of all his guns and can still vote, so why does the NFL think it can penalize him excessively after the fact ? I honestly don't know how this can hold up if Hardy took it to court. Sure, you can cite the CBA and the ethics clauses and what not, but if he didn't do anything proven in a court of law, how do you burn a guy under the personal conduct code ?

As for Washington, if this is true, he's getting screwed. After retreating, he was just trying to get to his car. The female chased after him, which makes her the aggressor. He has a legal right to see his child. I'd take her to court and rescind child support or go after custody.

Same thing with the kid from Florida St. Sure, he shouldn't have punched her, but in the video, she clearly tries to block him from the bar and then hits him first after he tries to restrain her, meaning she probably told him she was going to hit him. I guess I'm just tired of it always being the guy's fault, and you get all these females acting however they want with impunity.

kidhawk

Reaction score
ctrcat":awv51mb7 said:
^ Huh? Even if THIS suspension holds which it should not as he will hopefully will continue to fight, he'd still have served 21 games. Nicole Holder had no broken collarbone and refused treatment for any injuries whatsoever. How is that more violent? This was no baby momma drama, this was a gold digging leech that got exactly what she wanted. The charges were completely dropped and he's already sat over a years' worth of games!!

[urltargetblank]http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634?trending_test_c&utm_expid=66866090-62.H_y_0o51QhmMY_tue7bevQ.3&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FVF1fi0czHB[/urltargetblank]

If you can read through this and continue your rhetoric than you sir are blinded by your fandom

Basis4day

Reaction score
kidhawk":2tlt89n5 said:
ctrcat":2tlt89n5 said:

[urltargetblank]http://deadspin.com/this-is-why-nfl-star-greg-hardy-was-arrested-for-assaul-1739117634?trending_test_c&utm_expid=66866090-62.H_y_0o51QhmMY_tue7bevQ.3&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FVF1fi0czHB[/urltargetblank]

If you can read through this and continue your rhetoric than you sir are blinded by your fandom

I recall there were quite a few .netters that expressed the opinion that the only reason Hardy was convicted in his bench trial was because the judge was female.

Rob12

Reaction score
Greg Hardy should be done for good. The NFL can donate to charities and fill stadiums with pink all they want, but until they take a real stand against its players battering women, it's all empty BS.

Read the Deadspin article. It's one of the best pieces I've ever read. Look at the pictures of that woman.

Hardy should be in prison. But the girl was right, nothing was ever going to happen to him.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":jejbahcj said:
kidhawk":jejbahcj said:
ctrcat":jejbahcj said:

I recall there were quite a few .netters that expressed the opinion that the only reason Hardy was convicted in his bench trial was because the judge was female.

It's not surprising. Famous people are often afforded excuses because often times, people just don't want to believe that someone they know of would ever do such a horrific thing.

The evidence shown at the link is pretty damning though, and anyone who still believes that he didn't violently abuse this woman is being blinded by the star power.

I'm not one to say he can't reform and be a better person, but people need to at the very least admit that what he did was a serious offense. Hopefully the outing of this evidence will help the people understand just how serious this situation was. it took a video to show people what Ray Rice had done.

It's kind of sad that it so often takes visual evidence for people to understand how bad this thing can be. Yes there are cases of women just pulling stunts to get money out of a player, or of women who just want to get vengeance against their man for being 'wronged' in some other way, but when there is strong evidence as in cases like this, people really should stop whitewashing the situation as if it's no big deal.

Rob12

Reaction score
The sad part is that the NFL probably can't suspend him again. He's already been penalized for this incident. If they were to try, the NFLPA would fight it tooth and nail. Double Jeopardy, and all that.

I'm sure Jerry Jones will continue to defend Hardy, and he might even double down and try to ink him to an extension. I hope the Cowboys sever ties with Hardy, but I highly doubt they will. But even Jerry might have to look at this thing a little closer. Is this really the type of person that you want to represent your franchise?

If he's released (unlikely), I doubt another team would sign him. He's a better player than Ray Rice, but I could see him getting that same type of treatment. In effect, I think Jerry could end his career if he actually does the right thing (again, unlikely).

Rob12

Reaction score
kidhawk":1m15r3du said:
Basis4day":1m15r3du said:
kidhawk":1m15r3du said:
ctrcat":1m15r3du said:

It's not surprising. Famous people are often afforded excuses because often times, people just don't want to believe that someone they know of would ever do such a horrific thing.

The evidence shown at the link is pretty damning though, and anyone who still believes that he didn't violently abuse this woman is being blinded by the star power.

I'm not one to say he can't reform and be a better person, but people need to at the very least admit that what he did was a serious offense. Hopefully the outing of this evidence will help the people understand just how serious this situation was. it took a video to show people what Ray Rice had done.

It's kind of sad that it so often takes visual evidence for people to understand how bad this thing can be. Yes there are cases of women just pulling stunts to get money out of a player, or of women who just want to get vengeance against their man for being 'wronged' in some other way, but when there is strong evidence as in cases like this, people really should stop whitewashing the situation as if it's no big deal.

I think people can change too, but you would think that this whole situation should have humbled Hardy, and going off of his actions this season, I doubt that's the case.

He's been enabled his entire time in the NFL. It'll be interesting to see what comes next. Jerry is so out of touch that I could actually see him inking him to a massive extension just because he can.