Cam Newton deal complete (5 yr ext. $103.8 million)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Looks like Wilson and Luck have a new floor.

FWIW Cam's 5th year option would have cost the Panthers 14.5 million, whereas the franchise tag for Wilson next year would cost the Hawks --estimating-- about 22.5 million; point being that in making this deal the Panthers were in a better bargaining position than the Hawks, before even considering that Wilson is a better player and has like, won a Super Bowl and stuff.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":102ognb9 said:

FWIW Cam's 5th year option would have cost the Panthers 14.5 million, whereas the franchise tag for Wilson next year would cost the Hawks --estimating-- about 22.5 million; point being that in making this deal the Panthers were in a better bargaining position than the Hawks, before even considering that Wilson is a better player and has like, won a Super Bowl and stuff.

All three are fantastic players with limitless upside. No fan base would trade theirs for the other. Isiah Thomas beat Michael Jordan head to head and won an NBA title before him as well so IMO only time will tell. But Isiah is a HOFer too so you can't go wrong. As I mentioned in the other tread Cam is healthy and looked as good as he has ever looked at OTAs. The FO obviously felt the urgency IMO.

mikeak

Reaction score
So we are talking about $20million / year. Aligns with what has been heard for RW and what should be expected

Note that it says extension. The big difference is that Cam has a great pay-day next year and RW has a paltry one, but it furthers the point that extensions are what is being issued not new contracts

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ctrcat":3iqfe8l0 said:
Popeyejones":3iqfe8l0 said:

All three are fantastic players with limitless upside. No fan base would trade theirs for the other. Isiah Thomas beat Michael Jordan head to head and won an NBA title before him as well so IMO only time will tell. But Isiah is a HOFer too so you can't go wrong. As I mentioned in the other tread Cam is healthy and looked as good as he has ever looked at OTAs. The FO obviously felt the urgency IMO.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that Panthers fan would prefer Wilson to Cam, just that I think there's a general consensus that Wilson is >> than Cam, and that he's deserving of > $ than Cam. If anything I have to guess that the Hawks' brass was hoping Cam would get a Kaepernick-level deal.

FWIW I don't think the difference in ability between Cam and Wilson is as big as some make it out to be, but I do personally think Wilson is the superior player.

For my money, and once we start factoring in development too, it gets trickier once Luck gets factored into the equation, as I think the general consensus is that Luck is worth more money, but I think Wilson and his agent can make a pretty strong case that Wilson is worth more. For my money, I think Wilson is still a better player than Luck (although that difference has been diminishing).
\
All that said, for the Hawks part of letting the negotiations drag out HAD to have been rolling the dice on what Cam's deal would be, and i have to imagine they now feel their feet are to the fire to get something done before Luck and the Colts do.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
mikeak":3890jv3o said:
Note that it says extension.

Yeah, kind of curious to see what that means, as "extension" means he's still getting fifth year option money next year, and then the deal is for five years after that.

From a cap perspective that doesn't sound right, as it would essentially make it a six year 115 million dollar deal that pays out 15 million plus bonus in the first year. I guess they do have the money to do that this year, but it's a pretty weird way to spend it.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":4nm8mmwp said:
ctrcat":4nm8mmwp said:
Popeyejones":4nm8mmwp said:

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that Panthers fan would prefer Wilson to Cam, just that I think there's a general consensus that Wilson is >> than Cam, and that he's deserving of > $ than Cam. If anything I have to guess that the Hawks' brass was hoping Cam would get a Kaepernick-level deal.

FWIW I don't think the difference in ability between Cam and Wilson is as big as some make it out to be, but I do personally think Wilson is the superior player.

For my money, and once we start factoring in development too, it gets trickier once Luck gets factored into the equation, as I think the general consensus is that Luck is worth more money, but I think Wilson and his agent can make a pretty strong case that Wilson is worth more. For my money, I think Wilson is still a better player than Luck (although that difference has been diminishing).
\
All that said, for the Hawks part of letting the negotiations drag out HAD to have been rolling the dice on what Cam's deal would be, and i have to imagine they now feel their feet are to the fire to get something done before Luck and the Colts do.

Understood.

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":13liit1h said:
mikeak":13liit1h said:
Note that it says extension.

Yeah, kind of curious to see what that means, as "extension" means he's still getting fifth year option money next year, and then the deal is for five years after that.

From a cap perspective that doesn't sound right, as it would essentially make it a six year 115 million dollar deal that pays out 15 million plus bonus in the first year. I guess they do have the money to do that this year, but it's a pretty weird way to spend it.

Bonus could be less with more just plain guaranteed but payable in future years. That would keep the hit under $20M this year

If you have the cap space and with FA done and draft picks signed I would say it is the smarter way to do it. You are paying $14.5M this year in base salary vs a new deal that even if it hits the cap less this year pays more overall

You should only do cap friendly deals if you are up against the Cap. Not sure on the Panthers situation but way better to add five years for a total of 6 - be under $20M this year (say $4-5M / year in signing bonus) and then they could even have a dip down next year with base salary at the same or less and then gradually increase it along with the cap.

There is really no negative to that approach IF you have cap space available.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, good point.

I checked and they're 10 million under with Newton's 15 million base already factored in. It's looks like they've been planning for doing precisely this and not back loading the deal.

Once this is complete I'll be VERY curious to see the details and breakdowns, as it is pretty atypical.

aawolf

Reaction score
Panthers have been in cap hell for the past few years--paying RBs and Hardy to sit on the bench and Steve Smith to play for the Ravens.

Now, Gettlemen is finally getting the house in order. Next step: Keuchly. That one is going to set records for LB contracts IMO. They secure the QB of the Offense and the Defense, and they'll be in good shape.

mikeak

Reaction score
aawolf":2jlfxjiw said:
Panthers have been in cap hell for the past few years--paying RBs and Hardy to sit on the bench and Steve Smith to play for the Ravens.

Now, Gettlemen is finally getting the house in order. Next step: Keuchly. That one is going to set records for LB contracts IMO. They secure the QB of the Offense and the Defense, and they'll be in good shape.

You mean as in keeping the two players that led them to a losing record this year?

I know I am oversimplifying things but that is what put them in cap hell to begin with. They had a bad year and extended multiple players to huge deals after the bad year.....

Overall point being - two good players won't make a team. The question will be how the receiving core will do this year

ctrcat

Reaction score
mikeak":dq4vfmtd said:
aawolf":dq4vfmtd said:

You mean as in keeping the two players that led them to a losing record this year?

I know I am oversimplifying things but that is what put them in cap hell to begin with. They had a bad year and extended multiple players to huge deals after the bad year.....

Overall point being - two good players won't make a team. The question will be how the receiving core will do this year

The Hawks were .5 game worse in 2011 with Beast, RS, KC, ET, et al. Maybe JS and PC should have cut bait? The Panthers 2014 season was a success believe it or not after the movie-like twists and turns. Long term, the draft will determine everything with mega-deals unavailable for all but a few. Gettleman's 2013 and 14 drafts were an A and PC and JS laid the foundation with the second to none 2010-2012 drafts. Only time will tell how this years' and others will play out.

mikeak

Reaction score
ctrcat":22o6h00h said:
The Hawks were .5 game worse in 2011 with Beast, RS, KC, ET, et al. Maybe JS and PC should have cut bait? The Panthers 2014 season was a success believe it or not after the movie-like twists and turns. Long term, the draft will determine everything with mega-deals unavailable for all but a few. Gettleman's 2013 and 14 drafts were an A and PC and JS laid the foundation with the second to none 2010-2012 drafts. Only time will tell how this years' and others will play out.

I agree - only time will tell. It may work out good or it may not

That is why I replied to a comment that stated they are in good shape. They may be and they may not be......

kearly

Reaction score
From 2008-2012, every draft class produced at least one starting QB who finished a season with a 90+ passer rating at least one time. Guys like Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, and Foles were being drafted after the first round and producing. It seemed like solid-to-good QBs were becoming dime a dozen.

But it looks like this wasn't the new normal, as QBs from 2013 and 2014 have struggled. Not many people are overly optimistic about the 2015 class either, despite the talent of Mariota and Winston.

I think what this Newton signing shows us is that even an 'average' QB is difficult to acquire. We can chastise the Bengals for investing in Dalton, but the truth is that it might take them a decade to get a QB who is significantly better than Dalton is. The GM knows he doesn't have that much time, hence the reason for opening the checkbook. Newton is the same thing. He's just good enough to win a title if everything breaks right one year. Same thing for guys like Eli or Flacco.

Of course, paying big bucks for the Eli's and Flaccos does make it harder to put together that best case scenario. But as a GM, you have to play the hand you're dealt. The Seahawks have made overtures to lesser QBs before they struck it rich with Wilson. I have little doubt that PC/JS would be inking a deal for Dalton or Newton long term if he was drafted a Hawk.

kearly

Reaction score
ctrcat":fkn9329k said:

The Panthers do kind of remind me of the 2011 Hawks. Slow start, hot finish. Big strengths, big holes.

The 31-17 final score in Seattle for the 2nd round playoff game belied what the stat page told us. Seattle blew the game open with a few big plays but otherwise it felt like Carolina had a chance to win for much of the game. They also destroyed the Cardinals, something that it seemed only Seattle could do last season.

The hawks D has shown that they can handle Carolina's offense (other than Benjamin), so I'm not terrified of the Panthers by any stretch. But yeah, they can be a badass team when they are clicking. It is sometimes hard to know which version of the Panthers will show up though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":19j7yweh said:
I think what this Newton signing shows us is that even an 'average' QB is difficult to acquire. We can chastise the Bengals for investing in Dalton, but the truth is that it might take them a decade to get a QB who is significantly better than Dalton is. The GM knows he doesn't have that much time, hence the reason for opening the checkbook. Newton is the same thing. He's just good enough to win a title if everything breaks right one year. Same thing for guys like Eli or Flacco.

.........and why Cutler's making 18M a year.

I know people are saying Newton's contract might help get Russell done, but my guess is Russell and his agent are taking the stance that Russell is superior to Newton in ever category, especially the intangibles like leadership, preparation, clutch, etc.

kearly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3tc9piaf said:
.........and why Cutler's making 18M a year.

I know people are saying Newton's contract might help get Russell done, but my guess is Russell and his agent are taking the stance that Russell is superior to Newton in ever category, especially the intangibles like leadership, preparation, clutch, etc.

Exactly, this news only makes Seattle's 20m AYP offer seem all the more laughable. As more time passes, the more leverage Wilson's camp gets.

With regards to Cutler, he's not nearly as bad as his reputation, IMO. Fans and media hate nothing worse than a franchise player who by appearances doesn't seem to give a shit. Not caring enough is the cardinal sin of sports.