49ers Approved writers list Kaepernick's offseason?

ringless

Reaction score
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/kaeperni ... aste-time/

Sounds like Kaep will be the same old same old when bullets are flying as he reverts back to his old mechanics (Which is fairly common since it was a lifetime of habit).... However, the fans give another perspective into the crystal ball.

I really don't think he is going to be much improved... Reading over on the forums over there I of course can sense the excitement but who isn't excited this time of year. A lot of it reminds of every other year. Before it was that nobody would be able to stop their WR corps because they were so deep the backups would be starters... I see a similar storyline this year on their (and again, thats normal this type of year)

Popeyejones

Reaction score
:lol: :at a Cardinals fan trolling 9ers fans on a Hawks messageboard.

As for Kap, I don't think he'll be a radically different or better player this year, which is just a strawman argument to begin with.

I think the two real questions are if he builds on the improvement he showed (IMO) last year, and if so, if that improvement is reflected in the stats columns (which it wasn't last much last year, beyond comp %).

It's gonna take A LOT more than watching a new offense being installed on the third day of voluntary OTAs to have the answer to those questions, but they're questions I'm certaily curious about, although I'll need to actually watch some games to form an opinion.

As for Cohn, this is kinda fun because he spent all last offseason criticizing Kap for NOT working with a qb coach over the off-season, whereas now the problem is apparently that he did. Some more Cohn Classics in there as well: Outright lying about quotes through links to get around to his desired conclusion, backtracking in his own comments section on the overblown hot take that he built his column around, etc., etc. What a mess. I love that kid. :lol:

OP
OP
R

ringless

Reaction score
I couldn't help it lol

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a strong distaste for all things 9er. That article made me smile though. Then I took a gander on the forums and saw all the hype

"Kaep is the most dangerous QB in the league when given time"

Kaep is the 3rd best QB in the league, I'd like to see someone name 5 QB's better than him
(Wilson, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck) for starters...... I don't see how the above poster couldn't see that....

But in all actuality it really is hard for QB's to change something they have done their whole life. Especially when live practice starts. I guess we will see... I have to hope that he is the same player as before and that he didn't get better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Well you mentioned the approved writers list, so have to point out that Cohn is in fact NOT on the approved list. :)

Dudes a joke.

As I have said about 100 times, anyone other than a Cohn or Kawakami. They are shock jocks, nothing more.

Marvin49

Reaction score
ringless":l0bx874z said:
I couldn't help it lol

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a strong distaste for all things 9er. That article made me smile though. Then I took a gander on the forums and saw all the hype

"Kaep is the most dangerous QB in the league when given time"

Kaep is the 3rd best QB in the league, I'd like to see someone name 5 QB's better than him
(Wilson, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck) for starters...... I don't see how the above poster couldn't see that....

But in all actuality it really is hard for QB's to change something they have done their whole life. Especially when live practice starts. I guess we will see... I have to hope that he is the same player as before and that he didn't get better.

Who knows what's gonna happen when the live bullets start firing. The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be reading what a Cohn has to say about it.

Jville

Reaction score
Some funny humor included in that article .............................
“(Jim) Tomsula wanted to send quarterbacks coach Steve Logan down to Arizona to observe those workouts,” Cole said. “Ultimately, (the 49ers) said no. General manager Trent Baalke said, look, let’s not take a chance of violating the collective bargaining agreement by sending a coach down there and making it look like that coach might be working with Kaepernick …
............................................ should be more entertainment to follow.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":2px66waa said:
Well you mentioned the approved writers list, so have to point out that Cohn is in fact NOT on the approved list. :)

Dudes a joke.

As I have said about 100 times, anyone other than a Cohn or Kawakami. They are shock jocks, nothing more.

All the other beat writers kiss niner ass and wave pompoms for the team. We rarely read any criticism of the niners from your approved writers list.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Jville":1w2cqd5z said:
“(Jim) Tomsula wanted to send quarterbacks coach Steve Logan down to Arizona to observe those workouts,” Cole said. “Ultimately, (the 49ers) said no. General manager Trent Baalke said, look, let’s not take a chance of violating the collective bargaining agreement by sending a coach down there and making it look like that coach might be working with Kaepernick …
............................................ should be more entertainment to follow.

Welcome to being Cohn'd. :lol:

It contradicted his argument so deleted out the middle of the quote about them being excited about Kap going down there and coordinating with Chryst (his QB coach and the new OC) before he left.

It's in the video he says he's quoting from but didn't link to.

They checked in about sending Logan along but didn't because it would be a violation of the CBA.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/5/27/8 ... kaepernick

This is the same guy who was giving Kap crap all off season for training on his own and NOT working with a QB coach. :lol:

I seriously shudder to think of how full-Cohn he'd go if this summer Kap did something as meaningless as spending a few days at Spring Training or talk about still wanting to play baseball.

Jville

Reaction score
Popeyejones":smh316t0 said:
Jville":smh316t0 said:

It contradicted his argument so deleted out the middle of the quote about them being excited about Kap going down there and coordinating with Chryst (his QB coach and the new OC) before he left.

They checked in about sending Logan along but didn't because it would be a violation of the CBA.

This is the same guy who was giving Kap crap all off season for training on his own and NOT working with a QB coach. :lol:

I seriously shudder to think of how full-Cohn he'd go if this summer Kap did something as meaningless as spending a few days at Spring Training or talk about still wanting to play baseball.

"Cohn'd" .... that's funny.

I don't see Tomsula or Baalke or Kaepernick or Cohn as incompetent at what they do. All of them are still in the process of living out their careers and writing their stories. For some of them, the best is yet to come. And, all of them have their fans.

It has been by observation that many 49er threads are doomed to deteriorate into dueling posts. Duels over what message and what image prevails ..... as if if any of that mattered outside of a political arena or a well censored forum.

What actually prevails for many of us is humor .... since 49er stories .... it's messaging .... and it's imagery is subject to interpretation and revision. That ongoing back and forth saga is hilarious for many at seahawks.net.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":2glh4h7d said:
Marvin49":2glh4h7d said:

Dudes a joke.

All the other beat writers kiss niner ass and wave pompoms for the team. We rarely read any criticism of the niners from your approved writers list.

I like how the "approved writers list" include EVERYONE but three guys, two of which are father and son and supposedly all the other writers "kiss niner ass".

LOL. You realize that you are in effect defending the likes of Skip Bayless? That's what we're talking about here.

Follow them to your hearts desire. I'm sure you will love everything they write because it'll be everything you ever want to hear. All the time. Feel free.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":1b4p5l91 said:
Popeyejones":1b4p5l91 said:
Jville":1b4p5l91 said:

"Cohn'd" .... that's funny.

I don't see Tomsula or Baalke or Kaepernick or Cohn as incompetent at what they do. All of them are still in the process of living out their careers and writing their stories. For some of them, the best is yet to come. And, all of them have their fans.

It has been by observation that many 49er threads are doomed to deteriorate into dueling posts. Duels over what message and what image prevails ..... as if if any of that mattered outside of a political arena or a well censored forum.

What actually prevails for many of us is humor .... since 49er stories .... it's messaging .... and it's imagery is subject to interpretation and revision. That ongoing back and forth saga is hilarious for many at seahawks.net.

I'm tellin ya. The Cohns are total hacks.

His pop Lowell couldn't stand Harbaugh till the day he was let go. Then Jed and Baalke because the villain and poor Harbaugh was the victim.

SOOOOOOO transparent. I have no prob with negative takes if they are well thought out. I do have a problem with negative takes that are negative for no other reason than to get more mouse clicks. That's all they are.

Jville

Reaction score
^^^ I assume the nature of these objections of convenience are in the spirit of a conspiracy theory.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":1vi8d4dn said:
rideaducati":1vi8d4dn said:
Marvin49":1vi8d4dn said:

Dudes a joke.

I like how the "approved writers list" include EVERYONE but three guys, two of which are father and son and supposedly all the other writers "kiss niner ass".

LOL. You realize that you are in effect defending the likes of Skip Bayless? That's what we're talking about here.

Follow them to your hearts desire. I'm sure you will love everything they write because it'll be everything you ever want to hear. All the time. Feel free.

I don't follow any niner writers because after reading several of their articles, I come to the same conclusion... they are all very bland and boring. They don't seem to want to offend the team, so they seem to go out of their way to avoid any sort of criticism of the team. None of them offer any sort of opinion in their articles, which is why the Cohn's and Kawakami articles seem so out of the norm for you niner fans. They criticize when warranted and infuse their articles with their opinions.

Matt Maiocco is the most boring writer out there covering the niners. He's the same way on the radio. He has a lot of info, but refuses to give his opinion on anything and NEVER criticizes. I think he's more "old school" in his reporting in that he just reports whereas the "new school" reporters infuse their stuff with opinions.

I don't like the Seahawk articles written without the opinion of the writer being mixed in either. It makes for very boring reading. There are Seahawk writers that are just as bland and boring as the writers that you love writing about your niners. Not my cup of tea.

I have read many niner fans posts on niner sites that are saying the same things Cohn and Kawakami mention. Cohn and Kawakami just say a bunch of things that you don't want to hear. Sometimes, the truth hurts. I challenge you to go back and find where Cohn and Kawakami were wrong with their reporting. They haven't been. Their opinions have been, but their reporting has been spot on, and lately, they have gotten a lot more right than you have.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":grtgk21u said:
I'm tellin ya. The Cohns are total hacks.

His pop Lowell couldn't stand Harbaugh till the day he was let go. Then Jed and Baalke because the villain and poor Harbaugh was the victim.

SOOOOOOO transparent. I have no prob with negative takes if they are well thought out. I do have a problem with negative takes that are negative for no other reason than to get more mouse clicks. That's all they are.

Harbaugh was a prick and most in the media didn't like the guy, but he was winning. Jed and Baalke getting rid of a winning coach and bringing in what they brought in does seem pretty stupid to everyone outside of Santa Clara. Can you kind of see why Lowell wouldn't like Harbaugh and still think it was stupid for Jed and Baalke to run him out of town? Is it really that difficult for you?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rideaducati":i6i97w43 said:
Matt Maiocco is the most boring writer out there covering the niners. He's the same way on the radio. He has a lot of info, but refuses to give his opinion on anything and NEVER criticizes. I think he's more "old school" in his reporting in that he just reports whereas the "new school" reporters infuse their stuff with opinions.

I don't think it's a difference between "new school" and "old school", it's a difference between beat reporters and columnists.

I prefer beat reporters because they actually, like, report stuff, have access, break news, etc. A guy like Maiocco isn't throwing his opinions around because it's not part of his job description.

If I want to read opinions, there's no shortage of them here, at the webzone, etc., etc.

Guys like the Cohns and Kawakami are basically paid to be below average message board posters.

It's just not my cup of tea.

rideaducati":i6i97w43 said:
I have read many niner fans posts on niner sites that are saying the same things Cohn and Kawakami mention. Cohn and Kawakami just say a bunch of things that you don't want to hear. Sometimes, the truth hurts. I challenge you to go back and find where Cohn and Kawakami were wrong with their reporting. They haven't been. Their opinions have been, but their reporting has been spot on, and lately, they have gotten a lot more right than you have.

I think this impression might come from not having read them regularly over the years.

Grant C. and Kawakami say PLENTY of things 9ers fans would want to believe, the problem is that it's all BS too.

The summer before Harbaugh got fired Kawakami said that Baalke and Harbaugh had repaired their relationship and he predicted the 9ers to win the Super Bowl last year. It was just nonsense.

Like a bad messageboard poster Grant Cohn latches onto to a marginal player every offseason and obsessively hypes him up as the second coming. It too is nonsense. Grant's also been insisting that the 9ers need to replace Anthony Davis for three years now because Davis made fun of him on twitter in 2012. It's just ridiculous. Grant also spent a whole season talking about Kaepernick never throws passes in pre-game warm-ups. It was just an insane claim. Totally insane, and he hammered on it for a year while everyone who had ever been to a game before was totally perplexed about what he was talking about.

As for Lowell Cohn, he's his own brand. I mean, here he is from during the 9ers negotiations for Kap's deal (which ended up being VERY team friendly).

Remember this column came from three pieces of actual news: 1) Kaepernick was looking for around 18 APY, 2) Kaepernick said he wouldn't hold out if a deal didn't get done that offseason, and 3) Kaepernick said he wanted to structure the deal in a team friendly way so that the 9ers could retain other key players. 1 & 3 ended up happening and the deal was struck before #2 could have. Here's what Lowell Cohn turned that into:

Take what the Boston Globe is reporting about Kaepernick. He wants a contract extension from the 49ers. He wants a big-money contract extension. He wants Jay Cutler money. He wants Tony Romo money. He wants more than those guys get.

FYI, Cutler signed for $18.1 a year, $38 million guaranteed. Romo signed for $18 million a year, $40 million guaranteed.

If Kaepernick doesn’t get that kind of dough, he says he’ll go back to kindergarten and knock over his blocks and hold his breath until he turns blue. Check that. I got carried away.

He actually said, according to the Globe, he’ll play out the final year of his contract, base salary just south of one mil, and negotiate after next season instead of settling for what he considers a contract unworthy of his eminence.

Someone should slap a Boston cream pie in Kaepernick’s smug face.

Why?

Start with this. During Super Bowl Week, he made the rounds of radio talk shows in New York. It talks! He went on with Murph and Mac and, in a sensitive, reasonable voice, said he’s not looking to break the bank in his next contract. What a guy. He’d accept a reasonable contract, not a whopper, so the 49ers can have enough money to sign key players like Donte Whitner and keep the team together. Kaepernick wanted everyone to see him as the ultimate team player.

Now this. It’s like he’s saying, “To hell with the team. I want mine.”

There are words to describe his position starting with “hypocrite” and ending with “phony.” You can fill in words in between.

This is REALLY who you prefer to beat reporters? :lol:

He'd be a worse poster than 98% of the people here.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":24yjw0oh said:
rideaducati":24yjw0oh said:

I don't think it's a difference between "new school" and "old school", it's a difference between beat reporters and columnists.

I prefer beat reporters because they actually, like, report stuff, have access, break news, etc. A guy like Maiocco isn't throwing his opinions around because it's not part of his job description.

If I want to read opinions, there's no shortage of them here, at the webzone, etc., etc.

Guys like the Cohns and Kawakami are basically paid to be below average message board posters.

It's just not my cup of tea.

rideaducati":24yjw0oh said:

I think this impression might come from not having read them regularly over the years.

Grant C. and Kawakami say PLENTY of things 9ers fans would want to believe, the problem is that it's all BS too.

The summer before Harbaugh got fired Kawakami said that Baalke and Harbaugh had repaired their relationship and he predicted the 9ers to win the Super Bowl last year. It was just nonsense.

Like a bad messageboard poster Grant Cohn latches onto to a marginal player every offseason and obsessively hypes him up as the second coming. It too is nonsense. Grant's also been insisting that the 9ers need to replace Anthony Davis for three years now because Davis made fun of him on twitter in 2012. It's just ridiculous. Grant also spent a whole season talking about Kaepernick never throws passes in pre-game warm-ups. It was just an insane claim. Totally insane, and he hammered on it for a year while everyone who had ever been to a game before was totally perplexed about what he was talking about.

As for Lowell Cohn, he's his own brand. I mean, here he is from during the 9ers negotiations for Kap's deal (which ended up being VERY team friendly).

Remember this column came from three pieces of actual news: 1) Kaepernick was looking for around 18 APY, 2) Kaepernick said he wouldn't hold out if a deal didn't get done that offseason, and 3) Kaepernick said he wanted to structure the deal in a team friendly way so that the 9ers could retain other key players. 1 & 3 ended up happening and the deal was struck before #2 could have. Here's what Lowell Cohn turned that into:

Take what the Boston Globe is reporting about Kaepernick. He wants a contract extension from the 49ers. He wants a big-money contract extension. He wants Jay Cutler money. He wants Tony Romo money. He wants more than those guys get.

FYI, Cutler signed for $18.1 a year, $38 million guaranteed. Romo signed for $18 million a year, $40 million guaranteed.

If Kaepernick doesn’t get that kind of dough, he says he’ll go back to kindergarten and knock over his blocks and hold his breath until he turns blue. Check that. I got carried away.

He actually said, according to the Globe, he’ll play out the final year of his contract, base salary just south of one mil, and negotiate after next season instead of settling for what he considers a contract unworthy of his eminence.

Someone should slap a Boston cream pie in Kaepernick’s smug face.

Why?

Start with this. During Super Bowl Week, he made the rounds of radio talk shows in New York. It talks! He went on with Murph and Mac and, in a sensitive, reasonable voice, said he’s not looking to break the bank in his next contract. What a guy. He’d accept a reasonable contract, not a whopper, so the 49ers can have enough money to sign key players like Donte Whitner and keep the team together. Kaepernick wanted everyone to see him as the ultimate team player.

Now this. It’s like he’s saying, “To hell with the team. I want mine.”

There are words to describe his position starting with “hypocrite” and ending with “phony.” You can fill in words in between.

This is REALLY who you prefer to beat reporters? :lol:

He'd be a worse poster than 98% of the people here.

I really don't see a problem with that article at all. The Globe did actually report that Kaepernick wanted a lot of money. Kaepernick did go on a bunch of shows prior to the superbowl and said what that guy reported. It was his opinion that Kaepernick was saying one thing publicly while his agent was doing just the opposite...which was true. Heaven forbid a reporter for not believng a player. I think you were just butt hurt because the reporter didn't blow smoke up your ass and spew rainbows and lollipops.

McGruff

Reaction score
As someone who has seen the ugly side of team journalism (Dave Pearson is a jerk) let me just let you in on a little secret.

Very few beat reporters are truly impartial. Team access is more or less granted on a reporter's willingness to pump up the team. If you start being too critical too consistently, you will find yourself officially black-balled out of job.

The Seahawks do this as much as the 49er's, and as a result you find pretty much the same stories from the same perspectives being written by different hands, and it doesn't much matter whether you are reading the Everett Herald or the Tacoma News Tribune. They are a little better than the official Seahawks reports, but not by much.

I'm not a fan at all of Art Thiel, but there is a reason he is writing from the outside these days, instead of for one of the major Seattle news outlets. His consistent negativity got him booted. I don't know that for sure, but I can pretty much guarantee it.

I guess the point is two-fold. First, 49ers fans should listen to the few dissenting voices. Likely they are speaking closer to the truth than the beat reporters who are glorified contractors for the franchise. Secondly, Seahawks fans need to recognize that our "reporters" are just as much shills for the team as the Niner's "approved list" is.

And yeah, Dave Pearson is an overbearing controlling jerk.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Cohn, once again, reported the truth... It just happens to be the total opposite of what Niner fans wanted to hear, so Cohn is the worst reporter ever! Like I said before, the truth hurts and Niner fans can't handle the truth when it does.

rideaducati

Reaction score
McGruff":1d9vntky said:
As someone who has seen the ugly side of team journalism (Dave Pearson is a jerk) let me just let you in on a little secret.

Very few beat reporters are truly impartial. Team access is more or less granted on a reporter's willingness to pump up the team. If you start being too critical too consistently, you will find yourself officially black-balled out of job.

The Seahawks do this as much as the 49er's, and as a result you find pretty much the same stories from the same perspectives being written by different hands, and it doesn't much matter whether you are reading the Everett Herald or the Tacoma News Tribune. They are a little better than the official Seahawks reports, but not by much.

I'm not a fan at all of Art Thiel, but there is a reason he is writing from the outside these days, instead of for one of the major Seattle news outlets. His consistent negativity got him booted. I don't know that for sure, but I can pretty much guarantee it.

I guess the point is two-fold. First, 49ers fans should listen to the few dissenting voices. Likely they are speaking closer to the truth than the beat reporters who are glorified contractors for the franchise. Secondly, Seahawks fans need to recognize that our "reporters" are just as much shills for the team as the Niner's "approved list" is.

And yeah, Dave Pearson is an overbearing controlling jerk.

It really ticks me off that every Seahawks reporter is afraid to write about Russell Wilson's flaws. I'm getting sick of these fluff pieces they all write. Russell still has a lot of issues to fix and I would like to know what is being done to fix them. I would like to see at least one reporter ask a few tough questions.