Per Ian Rapaport; Anthony Davis Retires

drrew

Reaction score
Here is the text of his announcement per Adam Schefter's facebook:

Anthony Davis of the 49ers has retired from the NFL today.
Here is his statement:
After a few years of thought, I've decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL. This will be a time for me to allow my Brain and Body a chance to heal. I know many won't understand my decision, that's ok.
I hope you too have the courage to live your life how you planned it when day dreaming to yourself growing up. Your Life is Your dream and you have the power to control that dream. Im simply doing what's best for my body as well as my mental health at this time in my life.
Sincerely,
Anthony Davis

kidhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3rfyoncn said:
Just got a notice from Twitter.

Several reports in from twitter right now. I read from Schefter that he made a statement saying he was taking a year or more away from the game. I don't know if he is leaving the door open to coming back, but it's just crazy how many niners are leaving the nfl this off season.

chris98251

Reaction score
So the new Coaching staff has truly been motivational this off season, the way the 49ers are retiring they could open their own retirement community.

kidhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3joknuqt said:
So the new Coaching staff has truly been motivational this off season, the way the 49ers are retiring they could open their own retirement community.

I thought they already did

levis-stadium.jpg

Maulbert

Reaction score
Good Luck Kap cuz u are gonna need it when u have a 7th round rookie protecting your right side.

Man ol' Man Jed York did really sell his soul to the devil.

For what? A new stadium with a joke of a field? Either he got ripped off, or his soul was truly worthless.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the players on got a look at the new offensive playbook and figured in their best interest to take a year off.

napkin-405x227.jpg

Twalshgameplanns7

ThidJN3l2fgS1SEfQZBQLU2bXnubVQpid15

hawknation2015

Reaction score
drrew":2mmimnvb said:
Here is the text of his announcement per Adam Schefter's facebook:

Anthony Davis of the 49ers has retired from the NFL today.
Here is his statement:
After a few years of thought, I've decided it will be best for me to take a year or so away from the NFL. This will be a time for me to allow my Brain and Body a chance to heal. I know many won't understand my decision, that's ok.
I hope you too have the courage to live your life how you planned it when day dreaming to yourself growing up. Your Life is Your dream and you have the power to control that dream. Im simply doing what's best for my body as well as my mental health at this time in my life.
Sincerely,
Anthony Davis

Truly astonishing . . . like rats fleeing a sinking ship, the trifecta of incompetence that is York/Baalke/Tomsula has pushed another great player into early retirement.

Would the Whiners still retain his rights if he decided to "unretire" in two years?

mikeak

Reaction score
"Unreal. Only 49ers. Odell Beckham, JJ Watt, Luke Keechley, Russell Wilson why aren't any of these guys retiring. Something is fundamentally wrong with this organization and I wish I knew what it was. "

LOL

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawknation, yes, in perpetuity.

EDIT: Hawknation, I think I was wrong about this. Upon retirement I THINK the team retains the players rights for the length of the contract, and then if they came back after that the player would be a FA again.

It's not really relevant for the case of Anthony Davis though because the 9ers retain his rights for five more seasons; through 2019.

If this had anything to do with York, Baalke, or Tomsula these guys would be holding out and forcing trades, not retiring, which does absolutely nothing for them if their concern is money or where they're playing.

iigakusei

Reaction score
I don't know why but I started humming the Smurfs theme song when I heard this. Schadenfreude!

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":12f5uk1u said:

If this had anything to do with York, Baalke, or Tomsula these guys would be holding out and forcing trades, not retiring and forsaking multimillion dollar careers.

Isn't retiring a form of holding out especially if you have a caveat of coming back in one or two years?

Largent80

Reaction score
My first post in well over a month. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa.

We don't have to do anything and the 9er's always provide comedy.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":f35psu9q said:

If this had anything to do with York, Baalke, or Tomsula these guys would be holding out and forcing trades, not retiring and forsaking multimillion dollar careers.

You're right that this phenomenon is certainly a complicated issue with multiple related factors. However, I don't think you can continue to be in denial over the reality that the nearly universal impression of York/Baalke/Tomsula's incompetence has had an impact on these decisions.

Why should multimillionaires like Anthony Davis and Patrick Willis put themselves through another difficult season when there is so little hope of competing at the level they did under Harbaugh? When love of the game is trumped by fear of injuries and pain, why continue to play the game?

Another factor definitely in play is that the loss of Harbaugh -- and transitioning to Tomsula -- must have felt like losing all competitive momentum for these players. After being pushed to the brink every day by the ultra-competitive Harbaugh, they finally had a chance to metaphorically catch their breath and ultimately contemplated the level of happiness in their lives. And then the question becomes, is it really worth it if you aren't winning? The answer for several of them has been a decided "N - O."

titan3131

Reaction score
quote from niners forums

"WHO RETIRED ON HARBAUGH ?????

NOOOOBODY !!!!!!!"

chris98251

Reaction score
Well I have to agree nobody would retire on this front office.

Tomsula, Baalke and York have it all together.

MarxBrothers