Evan Mathis Released

massari

Reaction score
He's unhappy with 6m per for the next two seasons.....don't think the Hawks can afford.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":zqpbxd09 said:
Grab him for 2.5m hngggggggg

he was currently under contract for $5.5 million and was reportedly wanting more money from the Eagles. He's not signing for $2.5 million

randomation

Reaction score
Give him a 1 year deal for a decent amount and he might jump at a chance for a ring.

kidhawk

Reaction score
randomation":c7h04wse said:
Give him a 1 year deal for a decent amount and he might jump at a chance for a ring.

We can't afford his amount for a decent amount of money at the guard position. I'd rather add $3 or $4 million to Wilson's deal and go with the guys we have to be honest.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
kidhawk":3r89noj7 said:
TheRealDTM":3r89noj7 said:

he was currently under contract for $5.5 million and was reportedly wanting more money from the Eagles. He's not signing for $2.5 million

5.5 over 2 years though right?

I'm not an expert on his contract but I'd imagine he will be getting paid by the Eagles still this year (dead money). He may be willing to sign a one year 2-3 mil deal which would be a steal.

kidhawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":xhw9mh3e said:
kidhawk":xhw9mh3e said:
TheRealDTM":xhw9mh3e said:

5.5 over 2 years though right?

I'm not an expert on his contract but I'd imagine he will be getting paid by the Eagles still this year (dead money). He may be willing to sign a one year 2-3 mil deal which would be a steal.

Nope, he was scheduled to make $5.5 million this year and $6 million next year

[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/player/evan-mathis/748[/urltargetblank]

Hawks46

Reaction score
Mathis was slated to make 5.5 mil this year, as Kidhawk posted. The Eagles have come out and said they offered him a raise to 6.5 million this year and he wasn't happy with this. He refused the contract and was holding out of mandatory OTA's.

Mathis is 33, and as mentioned by one of the posters above, is PFF's #1 rated Guard over the last 3 years. I believe he missed 6 games last year.

At first glance, we won't be able to afford what he wants. If the Hawks could afford 3-4 million, and he was amenable to that, I'd be all over it, but someone will over pay for this guy. It's his last gasp at good money, so he's already stated he wants more than 6.5 mil/year and I'm guessing he wants at least 3 years.

I'd like him as an upgrade, but even more, I'd like him to keep him away from SF. Their OL is a mess now, going from strength to weakness incredibly quickly. They're going to have to slide Boone out to RT, so Mathis could come in and immediately fix that hole. I just hope someone offers Mathis a ton because this would fix a glaring weak spot for the Niners.

vonstout

Reaction score
He won't get a big contract unless he goes to a bad team with a lot of cap space. He screwed up not taking the Eagles offer.

rideaducati

Reaction score
vonstout":3i0d9ta0 said:
He won't get a big contract unless he goes to a bad team with a lot of cap space. He screwed up not taking the Eagles offer.

He was with a bad team and still wanted more money.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I wonder if the Seahawks give Mathis a look. He's a veteran LG who's played in a ZBS. Considering the lack of experience on the OL, he may be a good add.

Chip Kelly, the GM, is a moron. He's downgraded the Eagles in several positions this offseason. One less team to challenge the Seahawks so I'm not complaining.

ringless

Reaction score
So why did they release him and take the 1,000,000 cap hit as well, and lose any bargaining chip they could have had (Even a 6th rounder)

I mean he had no leverage really with two years on his contract? I really question Chip Kelly being an NFL coach.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":1ji5x1x8 said:
So why did they release him and take the 1,000,000 cap hit as well, and lose any bargaining chip they could have had (Even a 6th rounder)

I mean he had no leverage really with two years on his contract? I really question Chip Kelly being an NFL coach.

No one was trading for him when its been pretty well known for months that they were eventually going to cut him.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
ringless":2zhve5kg said:

Chip wants *his* guys... players on both sides of the ball that are going to bust their tails for Chip.

The talented veterans he inherited didn't buy in and are expendable. Chip doesn't mess around.

That's my take on what's been going on in Philly for the last two years.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I can't see us finding the room to sign him, but I would love it if we did.

They could save $3 million by cutting Tony McDaniel -- the downside would be the hit to our run defense, as neither Hill nor Rubin are very strong against the run.

$5.5 million can be found by releasing Brandon Mebane, but that would really compound the problems for our run defense, thrusting Rubin into the starting rotation. I wouldn't like this at all.

They would save another $5 million by cutting Russell Okung -- Bailey would have to play LT, which would be problematic.

It would probably be necessary to cut at least one of the above players and probably two. And Mathis is 33 years old and coming off an injury-plagued season. Giving up Okung for Mathis might not be an overall positive for the line.