Moffitt returns to the NFL, signs with the Eagles

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Free agent OG John Moffitt wants to return to the NFL.
Moffitt, 28, retired in November 2013 due to drug issues. He's since cleaned up his life and has been training the past three months with an eye toward returning to the league. The former No. 75 overall pick in 2011 by the Seahawks, Moffitt was an All-American at Wisconsin and started 15 games for Seattle.

Im guessing he ran out of cash.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":28izuptd said:
Free agent OG John Moffitt wants to return to the NFL.
Moffitt, 28, retired in November 2013 due to drug issues. He's since cleaned up his life and has been training the past three months with an eye toward returning to the league. The former No. 75 overall pick in 2011 by the Seahawks, Moffitt was an All-American at Wisconsin and started 15 games for Seattle.

Im guessing he ran out of cash.

Does being broke mean that you all of a sudden have true passion for the game? For Mr. Moffitt's sake I hope he can convince some team of that!

hawknation2015

Reaction score
drcool":22yftcxd said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/17/john-moffitt-unretires-after-nearly-two-years/

Sounds like he has cleaned himself up and is working hard. I wouldn't mind bringing him in to see what he has left in the tank.

No room for him. The athletes we have now at guard blow Moffitt out of the water.

Hope he invested his money well.

jblaze

Reaction score
Wish him the best but we don't have a spot for him anymore. He doesn't fit our OL athletic profile.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Yeah....he ran out of money or will soon.

Someone who is fiscally responsible and willing to live a quiet and modest life could've basically retired on the money he made, but he is likely not good with money nor does he seem to live a modest lifestyle.

Dude had no idea how quickly he'd run out of money. Oh and he also enjoyed drugs. Happy he fixed the latter issue but he definitely has an uphill battle ahead.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Doesn't he belong to the Broncos? They lost Clady, one of the (former) best LTs in the game and could probably use some OL help.

He'll get a job, and fairly quickly, but it won't be here.

"The Broncos, per Glazer, will release Moffitt in lieu of reinstating him to the active roster. Because he had fewer than four years of service when he retired, Moffitt will now pass through waivers. If unclaimed, he’ll become a free agent.

Glazer believes that Moffitt will become a starting guard again, once teams realize he has addressed his off-field issues and he is committed to playing."

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1jxxb1ld said:
Doesn't he belong to the Broncos? They lost Clady, one of the (former) best LTs in the game and could probably use some OL help.

He'll get a job, and fairly quickly, but it won't be here.

Broncos have released him even though they have need at that position. Not a good sign.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
If he is clean & sober.... and his motivation is back, hhhmmm.

I think that's the key, if there is some drive there to succeed, hell yea, would love to see him back and competing.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Here is a prime example of a professional player who let his life get out of control and realizes too late what he lost.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Who would you guys cut to make room for Moffitt? I don't think he would make our 90 man roster, we have a ton of guards right now with better potential.

253hawk

Reaction score
jblaze":2zd1mrn6 said:
Wish him the best but we don't have a spot for him anymore. He doesn't fit our OL athletic profile.

He can take over where The Real Rob Report left off.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
AgentDib":c5ytsxub said:
Who would you guys cut to make room for Moffitt? I don't think he would make our 90 man roster, we have a ton of guards right now with better potential.

Lots of guys.

We have 27 rookies on the team right now, we'll probably keep 10, 11, or so.....

Let's say we keep all our drafted rookies, which is 8, then keep some standout undrafted rookies that we usually do every year, say 3. That's about 16 undrafted rookies that have zero shot of making this team, just there as camp fodder.

Take your pick, keep 3 of the best one on this list, any of the others.... easy to drop one for a guard that started 15 of 17 games for us 2 season ago.

Archer, R.J. QB
Smith, Rod RB
Rawls , Thomas RB
Cottom, Brandon FB
Davis , Jesse T
Pericak, Will G/C
Schwenke, Kona G
Foxx, Deshon WR
Smith, Kevin WR
Williams, Kasen WR

McGill, T.Y. DT
Nealy, Quayshawn LB
Singleton, Alex LB
Adams, Tyrell LB
Burley, Marcus CB
Wade, Triston FS
Lambert, Keenan SS
Martin, Ronald SS

Boyer, Nate LS

Just playing devils advocate here.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Even when Moffitt was in the prime of his career, he was slow and out of shape. Poor in pass protection, with multiple games of 5+ hurries allowed, and lacking explosiveness in the running game. PFF gave him an extremely poor -21.5 grade in 2011, until his suspension for use of performance-enhancing drugs. In 2012, he was ranked among the Bottom 5 guards with 13.3% of his blocks given negative grades.

Now he has spent most of the last two years out of the game, not working, doing drugs, and not even working out. The game has passed him by . . . and more importantly, so have the Seahawks. Since 2012, the team has made a concerted effort to draft better athletes along the OL. Glowinski, Poole, Sokoli, and even UDFA Davis all have far more potential than Moffitt did when he was still in his prime.

The NY Times article says he worked with a financial adviser to put away money while he played. For his sake, I hope that is true.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2s7ncm4d said:
The NY Times article says he worked with a financial adviser to put away money while he played. For his sake, I hope that is true.

"This is how I spend my NFL money. This is the first pair of sunglasses ever made. These are stunner shades from the prehistoric times. Yeah, I bought 'em from a museum. Cost me a game check, I don't care. 8) "

Maxresdefault