"Crazy" Harbaugh used to practice with 49ers in full pads

hawknation2015

Reaction score
In Walker's mind, Harbaugh's topless coaching stunt was tame compared to the time he dressed up in full gear and practiced with the 49ers. Turns out the team was short on quarterbacks because of injuries, and Harbaugh played the role of the No. 3 quarterback.

"He dressed up in full gear and practiced the whole practice – pads, helmets, everything on. He had the whole uniform on,'' Walker said of Harbaugh. "We came out and said, "Who is that dude out there? And it was Jim Harbaugh. He had some old high top cleats on.

"He did pretty good. He just couldn't throw the deep, deep pass."

Harbaugh left the 49ers after the 2014 season to return to the college ranks. Harbaugh was successful at Stanford before joining the 49ers in 2011.

"I think he is going to be great (at Michigan),'' Walker said. "People buy into his philosophy. Every team he has ever been on has been good, right? So you tell me what he is going to do. Young kids love to have a coach who is crazy."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/titansi ... /28916537/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Figured this story wouldn't make it onto .net because it makes Harbaugh look like the nut that he is, rather than the lamb he became here after the 9ers fired him. :lol:

In any case, as for the story, :lol: :lol: :lol: , this sounds about right.

A bunch of people have said it, but I think this is another data point for why Harbaugh's undeniable talents as a HC are probably best utilized at the college level, where he's coaching 18-22 year olds rather than old vets, and has them constantly cycling in and out of the program. Harbaugh's both undeniably crazy and an exceptional coach, I just think his brand of crazy and exceptional coaching are just better served in college. That's not to say that I don't think he could again have success in the NFL level turning by bouncing around and turning around teams a la Bill Parcells.

drdiags

Reaction score
The guy definitely is quirky. At least no one can be surprised by his antics. Walker also said that what Jim was doing worked with the Vets. Could he be a 10-year coach with the same team in the Pros? Doesn't seem that way, so maybe College is best suited for him.

That way it is only the AD and University staff that have to deal with him year to year. The players would be turning over every 4 yrs, so it would just be the Alumni he has to be careful not to alienate. As long as he wins, he has a good shot of being on their good side. Michigan has hit a low point, so if Jim wins they will kiss the ground he walks on for quite some time.

9ers fans were not ready to see him go for the most part, management and some of his coaches had other opinions.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Good post.

As for most 9ers fans not being ready to see him go, I think that's definitely true, but I also think a lot of 9ers fans (myself included) were a little bit conflicted.

I both understood why he was going and wasn't ready to see him go, if that makes sense.

Put another way, If/when the 9ers are as bad or worse this year than they were last year, I think there's going to be A LOT of reviniost history about Harbaugh among 9ers fans, who will quickly forget how simply untenable the situation was, and how Harbaugh, simply by being who he is, shared no shortage of blame in that.

As for Walker saying Harbaugh's approach worked with vets, I think it definitely could have worked with some vets (and probably did), but even Harbaugh himself admits that he's not for everyone and that everywhere he's ever been as a coach has ended up in him being moved on (or not seriously been tried to retain) because of who he is.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":39x3u7ny said:
Put another way, If/when the 9ers are as bad or worse this year than they were last year, I think there's going to be A LOT of reviniost history about Harbaugh among 9ers fans, who will quickly forget how simply untenable the situation was, and how Harbaugh, simply by being who he is, shared no shortage of blame in that.

Yeah, I can totally see that. People will remember the 3 year championship run. But will conveniently forget the 2014 campaign. Sort of like how Holmgren is regarded here. That last lame duck season was simply miserable. But we just kind of gloss over that one. There were plenty of fans here clamoring for Holmgren's hire when we let Mora go after just one season. So we decommitted that 2008 disaster from memory almost immediately.

You will see the same in SF. It'll be more pronounced if the Niners can't get back up on the horse. I imagine it was even worse when Walsh retired, then returned to coaching.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1u7p619d said:
Popeyejones":1u7p619d said:

Yeah, I can totally see that. People will remember the 3 year championship run. But will conveniently forget the 2014 campaign. Sort of like how Holmgren is regarded here. That last lame duck season was simply miserable. But we just kind of gloss over that one. There were plenty of fans here clamoring for Holmgren's hire when we let Mora go after just one season. So we decommitted that 2008 disaster from memory almost immediately.

You will see the same in SF. It'll be more pronounced if the Niners can't get back up on the horse. I imagine it was even worse when Walsh retired, then returned to coaching.

Not really.

He left, but then they won the SB again the next year and again 4 years later.

Walsh never coached again in the NFL, but was the GM of the 49ers for a bit and made some great 1st round picks like Reggie McGrew and some great FA signings like Lawrence Phillips. He then handpicked his successor in the stellar Terry Donahue who got rid of that terrible coach Steve Mariucci.

....ugg.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qylnzz04 said:
A bunch of people have said it, but I think this is another data point for why Harbaugh's undeniable talents as a HC are probably best utilized at the college level, where he's coaching 18-22 year olds rather than old vets, and has them constantly cycling in and out of the program. Harbaugh's both undeniably crazy and an exceptional coach, I just think his brand of crazy and exceptional coaching are just better served in college. That's not to say that I don't think he could again have success in the NFL level turning by bouncing around and turning around teams a la Bill Parcells.

Couldn't agree more.

Harbaugh's old school hard ass military style fiery temperament is perfect for college, especially at a midwest school like Michigan. As with guys like Saban and Meyer, parents are going to absolutely love his no nonsense moral high road I'm gonna turn your son into a man approach to coaching.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3k292xpx said:
Popeyejones":3k292xpx said:

Good points but it brings up another point of debate: Harbaugh and Carroll were constantly being compared to each other, both because of their Pac 10 history as well as being hired close to the same time. The argument Seahawks fans have had is that Harbaugh inherited a very talented roster than under achieved, while Carroll inherited a team that was aging and had cap issues with older players.

Carroll as given leeway to completely over turn the roster. So, if Harbaugh was able to over turn his roster (gradually....he had too much talent for a rebuild) some what like Kelly is doing now, would he be successful with "his" brand of guys that buy in ?

I couldn't stand the guy on the sidelines, with all the histrionics and such, but it was still a fun rivalry and I'm kinda sad to see him go. I mean, I was a bit happy because I see it as the down fall of the current 49ers run, but it's also bittersweet as our rivalry is now defunct. AZ and STL are more like your little brother is your rival.