Panthers expect to cause league havoc with two 6' 5" rcvrs.

netskier

Reaction score
The Carolina Panthers' revamped receiving corps has been one of the most-discussed units in the NFL this offseason, with praise emanating from nearly every corner of the franchise.

Pairing mammoth receivers Kelvin Benjamin and rookie Devin Funchess gives the Panthers a distinct one-two punch few in the NFL can match on the outside.

"We're going to be a dynamic duo, two 6-5 guys out there on the outside just making damage and causing havoc on the field," Funchess told the Detroit News last week. "You never see that type of duo in the league, two 6-5 guys on the outside that are athletic and that can run and go up and get the ball. Nobody has that wingspan in the league like us, so it's going to be fun during the season."

Just wait until Funchess sees what we have. In comparison, we have six five Chris Matthews and six seven Jimmy Graham. Six seven trumps six five the last time I checked.

But I like they way the Panthers are thinking.

titan3131

Reaction score
This isnt a seahawks topic, you are in the wrong forum.

And in your height formula your missing the fact that they are factoring in their giant qb, so they have advantage still.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Olsen is 6'6 as well. Funchess isn't quite as physical, but is smoother than Benjamin. He's also two years younger than Benjamin was last year as a rookie and had awful QB play at Michigan, but they like him and had a first round grade on him. Only time will tell.

Ginn is back as well. I have no idea how they'll stack up to the rest of the league but it's miles better than a unit whose possession receiver (Cotchery) couldn't catch and had Brenton Bersin as the #1 read on the Kam Quake play last January at the CLink

OP
OP
N

netskier

Reaction score
The Seahawks topic is that our receivers are taller than theirs, probably as a candidate set, and not just as twin towers.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Funchess??? I watched him play with Michigan. He aint gonna amount to squat. He can't catch a cold. I think he sucks and was so glad Seattle did not draft him.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":2czvfgcw said:
Funchess??? I watched him play with Michigan. He aint gonna amount to squat. He can't catch a cold. I think he sucks and was so glad Seattle did not draft him.

Sounds like you watched him at Michigan more than I did, which was not much. What I do know is that if you replace the word Funchess with Benjamin, Michigan with Florida State, and Seattle with 30 other cities, it's nothing but an echo from a year ago at this time.

Drops or not, he does appear to be a natural hands catcher. And Dave Gettleman deserves the benefit of the doubt for his amazing drafts so far. But only time will tell.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Yeah, I am from Michigan and watched him a lot. Frustrating player. Huge Wolverine fan.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This is just the reason why the Hawks took a WR like lockette this year and Richardson last year. The Hawks started a trend with bigger CBs, who will ultimately matchup well against big WRs.

Besides, how much havoc did he bears wreak on defenses last year?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
OkieHawk":fdv6efwf said:
Why isn't this in the NFL forum?
I dunno maybe cuz the OP related a quote to the Hawks size at receiver...

Steve2222

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1b9v1fag said:
OkieHawk":1b9v1fag said:

Your point? It's still off topic

if that was the case you could make a topic about anything and find a way to tie the Seahawks into it.

Who gives a damn about what a Carolina rookie WR says about the Panthers?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Steve2222":ni01m21e said:
Hawkfan77":ni01m21e said:
OkieHawk":ni01m21e said:

Your point? It's still off topic

if that was the case you could make a topic about anything and find a way to tie the Seahawks into it.

Who gives a damn about what a Carolina rookie WR says about the Panthers?
Done. 8)

OP
OP
N

netskier

Reaction score
Basically I made an error by just not giving it enough thought. Sorry.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":36cjzpxo said:
This is just the reason why the Hawks took a WR like lockette this year and Richardson last year. The Hawks started a trend with bigger CBs, who will ultimately matchup well against big WRs.

Besides, how much havoc did he bears wreak on defenses last year?

The Panthers don't have a household name with that skillset anymore after axing the best player in team history, but they do have a guy, that, despite likely being anonymous at even Charlotte area shopping malls, had a quietly good rookie year and that they feel really good about. That would be Corey Brown, UDFA rookie from Ohio State. He had more yards, TD's, yards/catch than Richardson, and, like Richardson, battled injuries, appearing in less games than Richardson. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/greg ... ony-062515

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ctrcat":2q6gi865 said:
Seahwkgal":2q6gi865 said:

Sounds like you watched him at Michigan more than I did, which was not much. What I do know is that if you replace the word Funchess with Benjamin, Michigan with Florida State, and Seattle with 30 other cities, it's nothing but an echo from a year ago at this time.

Drops or not, he does appear to be a natural hands catcher. And Dave Gettleman deserves the benefit of the doubt for his amazing drafts so far. But only time will tell.

Benjamin at least made lots of plays over the course of the season, Funchess was a ghost for most of the year with his best game coming against App State.

I was wrong about KB last season though, so who knows, just was not a fan of Funchess at all.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":24uc824h said:
ctrcat":24uc824h said:
Seahwkgal":24uc824h said:

Benjamin at least made lots of plays over the course of the season, Funchess was a ghost for most of the year with his best game coming against App State.

I was wrong about KB last season though, so who knows, just was not a fan of Funchess at all.

I respect the opinion, but more food for thought-Benjamin was playing on a national champion with a Heisman winner, Funchess (in addition to battling injuries) was playing with a seemingly awful QB on a losing team. How that effects a young 20 year old as Funchess was has to be weighed-bad if you think he has a lot of growing up or improving to do, or good if you think age/potential/growth are on his side. Dave Gettleman obviously bet on the latter.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1koe66bq said:
The Hawks started a trend with bigger CBs, who will ultimately matchup well against big WRs.

It kind of depends on what teams are doing on defense, as the NFL borked a lot of the bigger-CBs advantage by more aggressively flagging CB contact w/ WRs.

The Hawks defense was originally designed to mess with QBs and timing by pressing WRs and keeping them from getting off the line, and for those purposes, bigger WRs are actually a good counter-move. There's not much point in having a guy like Browner playing five yards off.

At this point though I don't think it's the size of the Hawks' CB that matters, but instead, it's their talent (and the presence of Thomas).