Multiple players get 4-game suspensions for PED violations

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/616671669927682049[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/616680031964823552[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/StatsNBCSports/status/616677331155972096[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hearing more names, including Antonio Gates (Chargers) who got 4 games for PED.

OP
OP
D

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/616695868998062080[/tweet]

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Cheers to none of them being Seahawks!!! LOL :0190l:

Bruce Irvin tweeted yesterday that he's had 7 drug tests in 2 months. Sounds like they are really trying to make some busts.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JAGHAWK":2uo6znq8 said:
Cheers to none of them being Seahawks!!! LOL :0190l:

Bruce Irvin tweeted yesterday that he's had 7 drug tests in 2 months. Sounds like they are really trying to make some busts.

He was busted already once. When you get into the program, it stops being random and you are tested on a much more stringent basis.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3xdc3f49 said:
And I bet Gronk has been tested exactly zero times.

Gronk is a total meat head, it wouldn't surprise me if he took HGH.. but I also believe he probably lives in the weight room when he's not out partying.

Basically he's a frat guy in an NFL players body.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BIrvin_WVU11/status/616340236902211584[/tweet]

Are players allowed to, say, go on a vacation to Europe for a month? Just curious to know exactly how the protocol works in the off-season.

Expectedly, these positive substance abuse tests are for marijuana. Why is the NFL still testing for marijuana? Dumb.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Someone help me out. Substance abuse, is that pot or PED's?

Does anyone know the breakdown of how the new rules work? I know there is a difference between off season results and in season results but can't remember the details.

Also I was under the impression the NFL was no longer testing for pot and it definitely wouldn't be a 4 game suspension.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2y97zmyr said:

Does anyone know the breakdown of how the new rules work? I know there is a difference between off season results and in season results but can't remember the details.

Also I was under the impression the NFL was no longer testing for pot and it definitely wouldn't be a 4 game suspension.

PED's are anything listed under performance enhancing drugs.

Substance abuse are any illegal drugs not listed as performance enhancing.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
kidhawk":2g3w7c5h said:
RichNhansom":2g3w7c5h said:

Is the performance enhancing substance policy a misprint? From above.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
And 4 games for a violation in the off season? Something doesn't add up.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":tkhrfktn said:
kidhawk":tkhrfktn said:
RichNhansom":tkhrfktn said:

Is the performance enhancing substance policy a misprint? From above.

PED and substance abuse used to be the same penalty. Now they are different. If you note, Packers' Jones got popped for substance abuse and was given a 1 game suspension. The others were for PED and they got 4 game suspensions.

Also, I believe that the substance abuse policy is a warning first, which also gets you into the testing program, meaning it's no longer random, then if you get caught again you get a game and it increases from there. PED is automatically a 4 game suspension and entered into the drug testing program. I'm not 100% on this, but it's how I remember it off the top of my head. Also, with testing, it doesn't matter when you get caught, if you're caught you are caught.

SnoCoHawk

Reaction score
Four games for smoking pot...yeesh. But then Datone Jones only got one game, so I guess his was a lesser drug than weed (is there such a thing?) or the others were already on probation.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SnoCoHawk":1mw4wbto said:
Four games for smoking pot...yeesh. But then Datone Jones only got one game, so I guess his was a lesser drug than weed (is there such a thing?) or the others were already on probation.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that pot isn't under the PED policy. The only way to get multiple games for pot under the new policy is to have been busted on multiple occasions.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ucccz40 said:
SnoCoHawk":1ucccz40 said:

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that pot isn't under the PED policy. The only way to get multiple games for pot under the new policy is to have been busted on multiple occasions.

See above. McClain and Richardson received four-game suspensions each for "substance abuse," not PEDs.

The new substance abuse policy raised the permitted threshold from 15 nanograms of carboxy THC per milliliter of urine to 35 nanograms. Also, a player subject to discipline for a single positive test for marijuana is eligible for a 10-game suspension, instead of a full year under the old policy.

Why the league gives two players a four-game suspension for a substance abuse violation and another player a one-game suspension is anyone's guess. It may relate to the concentration of THC found in the player's blood, although this is actually a poor measure since people metabolize THC at different rates, i.e. those with higher concentration of fat.