NFL coach power rankings

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1h5heirf said:
Guess who is ranked #32?

There are all manner of cheap jokes I can make, and I say that purely so it's understood that I am asking a serious question: could they possibly have chosen a picture that makes him look more like a smiling jackass? I seriously don't think a less flattering choice could have been made, save for a poorly timed sneeze picture.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
"I would not say that. I wouldn't say it either."

"That's absolutely ludicroust." (This is not a typo. He clearly said "ludicroust.")

http://deadspin.com/new-49ers-coach-jim ... socialflow

7900301.jpg

rlkats

Reaction score
#32 is where he belongs. Unproven, has not ever done anything as a coordinator. His very first interview was not very inspiring. A ton of turmoil in retirements and trades. A weak draft (i felt). The only thing I can say lets hope he is a good coach and his assistants are good in support of him. Because at this point a comedian can not make up this stuff.
So please keep the jokes up like your team is not able to go through the same things. And one day if if if it happens you will not ever see me gloating or talking crap to you guys. Because as a fan this is painful to watch.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Sorry, we had the Ken Behring years. No sympathy from us now, we got none from anywhere then. And, I had season tickets the whole time...

rideaducati

Reaction score
How does Fisher rank so high year after year after year after year? When will people finally realize that he is an AWFUL coach?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":32bd12a1 said:
Guess who is ranked #32?

As it says in the article, all the first-time head coaches are intentionally ranked 30-32.

FWIW I'd probably put him behind Bowles at #30 and Quinn at #31 too.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't, and it's not one that outweighs other reasons for me, is because he has a pre-existing relationship w/ the players and front office, and one of the main reasons he got the job in the first place is because he's a known entity and already well respected by everybody there (which of course DOESN'T mean he'll be a good head coach or that hiring him for the job was the smart decision).

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1hjtpm36 said:
hawknation2015":1hjtpm36 said:
Guess who is ranked #32?

As it says in the article, all the first-time head coaches are intentionally ranked 30-32.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't, and it's not one that outweighs other reasons for me, is because he has a pre-existing relationship w/ the players and front office, and one of the main reasons he got the job in the first place is because he's a known entity and already well respected by everybody there (which of course DOESN'T mean he'll be a good head coach or that hiring him for the job was the smart decision).
The same thing was said up here about Jim Mora too, and look how that turned out.
Got a feeling the results will be very similar, one and done.

drdiags

Reaction score
That poll is like most of the usual suspects. Though I must admit seeing Rex n the low teens was a surprise. I do think Gus better have much more success this year or he is gone. And Jeff Fisher does have to prove he is capable of being considered a higher echelon coach despite his inability to get the Rams back into consideration as a power in the NFL.

And I will also give kudos to the observation on Caldwell. He seems like a non-factor but you must admit he is a calming affect on the Lions, allowing them to play to their potential last year. Those defensive losses may hit him this year but grabbing Tate seems like a stroke of genius on the Lions part. Will be a team to keep an eye on.

Not that high on Todd Bowles but the consensus is that he has the juice. I hope for the best with Quinn, he has the offense. If he works his magic with the defense, look out NFC.

drdiags

Reaction score
And for you 9ers fans, I don't summarily dismiss Tomasula. His OC will be the difference maker. I think on defense the 9ers will remain viable, since he has his finger on the pulse of that unit. His reported undermining of Harbaugh and uneasy relationship with the media aside, I bet he can get his players to buy in.

We will see how he navigate the potential toxic Ownership/GM relationship he has to coach under but they picked him. For their sakes, hopefully they can work with him long term.

The coach I like the best among those outside the top-10 is Mike Zimmer. Old school, crotchety old duffer. Players loved him in Cinci and it seems to have carried forward to Minny.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2i8xn1vk said:
Popeyejones":2i8xn1vk said:
hawknation2015":2i8xn1vk said:
Guess who is ranked #32?

The same thing was said up here about Jim Mora too, and look how that turned out.

Sure the 9ers could end up having an awful season, but I don't really think it's the same thing.

Mora spent one season as Asst. Head Coach before being promoted to Head Coach and then being fired. He was with the Hawks for two years total.

Tomsula has been with the 9ers for a decade. There's not a single player on the team who has ever played for the 9ers w/out Tomsula as one of the coaches. Heck, the guy even predates Jed York. I think Paraag Marathe is the only guy in the entire building who has been there longer than Tomsula.

As I said in the post you're quoting I definitely don't think that means he's a good head coach or that the 9ers will be successful this year, but he's WAY MORE of a known entiry than Mora and there has been talk of how well respected he is across the organization for YEARS now (IIRC it was the explanation for why he was picked as interim coach 5 years ago when Singletary was fired).

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2p58qh4i said:
Sports Hernia":2p58qh4i said:
Popeyejones":2p58qh4i said:
hawknation2015":2p58qh4i said:
Guess who is ranked #32?

Sure the 9ers could end up having an awful season, but I don't really think it's the same thing.

Mora spent one season as Asst. Head Coach before being promoted to Head Coach and then being fired. He was with the Hawks for two years total.

Tomsula has been with the 9ers for a decade. There's not a single player on the team who has ever played for the 9ers w/out Tomsula as one of the coaches. Heck, the guy even predates Jed York. I think Paraag Marathe is the only guy in the entire building who has been there longer than Tomsula.

As I said in the post you're quoting I definitely don't think that means he's a good head coach or that the 9ers will be successful this year, but he's WAY MORE of a known entiry than Mora and there has been talk of how well respected he is across the organization for YEARS now (IIRC it was the explanation for why he was picked as interim coach 5 years ago when Singletary was fired).

Mora was an assistant coach for 2 years and with the Hawks for 3 years total.

Mora had significant NFL coaching experience so I am not sure how Tomsula is WAY MORE of a known entity. There is a big difference between being an assistant and being the guy in charge. He is an unknown entity in regards to being a head coach.

The problem with Mora in my opinion was that in his two years spent as an assistant he developed friendships with some of the players (of course) and this only naturally made it more difficult to make the massive roster overhaul that was needed. It remains to be seen if Tomsula runs into the same problems.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
You're right, three years, not two. Thanks.

In my post "known entity" doesn't refer to around the league, it refers to within the the building:

The ONLY reason I wouldn't [list him as 3rd out of the 3 new HCs without previous HC experience], and it's not one that outweighs other reasons for me, is because he has a pre-existing relationship w/ the players and front office, and one of the main reasons he got the job in the first place is because he's a known entity and already well respected by everybody there.

JUST for this one point, that Tomsula's tenure w/ the 9ers spans across multiple coaching regimes, predates everyone in the building save for Paraag Marathe, and how well-respected he is across all levels of the org has been talked about for forever (read: LONG before he became the HC), is at least a point in his favor IMO, even if it isn't worth much.

Basically, unlike Quinn and Bowles he's a known entity, and already has everyone's ear and respect/doesn't need to earn it at the start. That respect can of course go right out the window with awful performance, though. :lol:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":l8yr23dq said:
You're right, three years, not two. Thanks.

In my post "known entity" doesn't refer to around the league, it refers to within the the building:

The ONLY reason I wouldn't [list him as 3rd out of the 3 new HCs without previous HC experience], and it's not one that outweighs other reasons for me, is because he has a pre-existing relationship w/ the players and front office, and one of the main reasons he got the job in the first place is because he's a known entity and already well respected by everybody there.

JUST for this one point, that Tomsula's tenure w/ the 9ers spans across multiple coaching regimes, predates everyone in the building save for Paraag Marathe, and how well-respected he is across all levels of the org has been talked about for forever (read: LONG before he became the HC), is at least a point in his favor IMO, even if it isn't worth much.

Basically, unlike Quinn and Bowles he's a known entity, and already has everyone's ear and respect/doesn't need to earn it at the start. That respect can of course go right out the window with awful performance, though. :lol:

I am curious of how JimTom will do and you make a fair point. Mora was actually brought in by Ruskell and was immediately believed for the purpose of replacing Holmgren where JimTom has worked his way up so in that comparison JimTom does have a slight advantage IMO.

The question I have is why in all that time did none of the coaches move him into any kind of coordinator role? Or why didn't any other organization seek to interview him? Is he respected as a good guy/hard worker or as a good football mind?

ringless

Reaction score
Rex":17lm3c1x said:
Fisher should be in top 12.

The last time he even had a winning record was 2008... I don't think so. Guy is about as average as you can get. Only 2 winning season in 12 years. I am curious how he still has a job.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3g618gfd said:
Carroll is ranked #2 behind Belichick . . . one play away from nearly closing the Super Bowl gap and being 2-0 against Belichick. :34853_doh:

Guess who is ranked #32?

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap30000 ... r-rankings

Tomsula at #32?

Stunner. :D

Man...I want the season to start. All these time-filler BS rankings are all BS till they start playing games. So sick of talking about what might happen. Just want to see them take the field.

Rex

Reaction score
rideaducati":123nhrwl said:
Rex":123nhrwl said:
Fisher should be in top 12.

Top 12 what? Reasons the Rams should move?

Definitely in top 3 for giving Seahawks fits. No other coach could do so with such an anemic offense.

Latest posts