ESPN NFC West Q&A: Was Kaepernick exposed last season?

Maulbert

Reaction score

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":dd8wwiqj said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-exposed-last-season

Kaepernick's career numbers against NFC West teams (Record, Passing, Rushing):

Arizona: 4-1, 154/97/63%/1287/9/1/106.2, 30/164/5.5/0
St. Louis: 4-2-1, 170/110/64.7%/1347/7/0/102.7, 32/233/7.3/1
Seattle: 1-5, 165/88/52.5%/961/3/8/56.7, 49/341/6.9/0

Looks to me like we already had his number. 8)

I've been saying it for some time now...Seattle has his number in a big way. To be fair, they have a lot of QBs number, but Kap in particular. I've long thought that Seattle fans opinions of him skew badly because they largely only see him against their own team. Good example is how he's constantly berated as a "turnover machine" despite having a lower career INT% than Russell Wilson.

I have the same issue with Patrick Peterson. I hear people talk about him all the time as if he's among the best DBs in the game, but every time he faced Crabtree (pre-Achilles) he got owned. I never viewed him a a great CB because of that. I might have a different opinion if I watched him game in and game out.

As for the quested in the article? Dunno. We'll see. Kap surely didn't have a good year last year, but it wasn't as awful as some let on.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":2amuwaut said:
Maulbert":2amuwaut said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...49ers-qb-colin-kaepernick-exposed-last-season

I've been saying it for some time now...Seattle has his number in a big way. To be fair, they have a lot of QBs number, but Kap in particular. I've long thought that Seattle fans opinions of him skew badly because they largely only see him against their own team. Good example is how he's constantly berated as a "turnover machine" despite having a lower career INT% than Russell Wilson.

I have the same issue with Patrick Peterson. I hear people talk about him all the time as if he's among the best DBs in the game, but every time he faced Crabtree (pre-Achilles) he got owned. I never viewed him a a great CB because of that. I might have a different opinion if I watched him game in and game out.

As for the quested in the article? Dunno. We'll see. Kap surely didn't have a good year last year, but it wasn't as awful as some let on.

He was awful in the 4th Quarter. The same was true in 2013, so it was not a one-off thing.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2jiyo2qk said:
Marvin49":2jiyo2qk said:
Maulbert":2jiyo2qk said:

He was awful in the 4th Quarter. The same was true in 2013, so it was not a one-off thing.

He was much worse last year and it extends really to the second half, not just the 4th quarter. Some of that is the failure of the OC to be able to adapt to what changes are being made by the other team and of course some of that falls on Kaps shoulders.

They had several big leads last year that evaporated in the second half.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":1l3htdnc said:
hawknation2015":1l3htdnc said:
Marvin49":1l3htdnc said:
Maulbert":1l3htdnc said:

He was much worse last year and it extends really to the second half, not just the 4th quarter. Some of that is the failure of the OC to be able to adapt to what changes are being made by the other team and off course some of that falls on Kaps shoulders.

They had several big leads last year that evaporated in the second half.

That's what made his play in the 4th Quarter even more stark in 2013, when his overall play was still better.

4th Quarter QB Rating in 2014: 60.3
4th Quarter QB Rating in 2013: 61.1

Kaepernick's reputation as a "chocker" is well earned.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Yea his numbers against us are ridiculous.

Wilson has had a few good games against us, but by and large we struggle with Kap a lot more. I don't get it...except our defense usually starts really slow and we typically play the Niners before we play the Hawks....only thing I can think of to explain it.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2gs9xfup said:

Wilson has had a few good games against us, but by and large we struggle with Kap a lot more. I don't get it...except our defense usually starts really slow and we typically play the Niners before we play the Hawks....only thing I can think of to explain it.

Kap had one throw against the Rams that was simply unreal. The long TD to Lloyd just before the half of the game in St. Louis was really a total brain fart by Jenkins, but that TD to Boldin while under pressure and scrambling to his left was one of the highlights of his career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RCjBQgZV4

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ywfwyxc said:
Ramfan128":2ywfwyxc said:

Kap had one throw against the Rams that was simply unreal. The long TD to Lloyd just before the half of the game in St. Louis was really a total brain fart by Jenkins, but that TD to Boldin while under pressure and scrambling to his left was one of the highlights of his career.

Ugh. You had to remind me of that game.

If we go to half time up 14-3, we might have held on to win. Of course, that play doesn't even happen if the refs don't call this bogus OPI (scroll down a bit):

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -31-17-win

When adding up just how bad of a call it was and the impact it had on the game, this was easily the worst call I saw all season. If we go on to score (likely), we probably do win that game.

Actually, this one game summarizes the frustration of being a Rams fan...

1. God awful call goes against us

2. We exacerbate it by giving up an 80 yard TD with less than 20 seconds left....something high school teams probably don't do...

3. Hated player (Kap) makes great play

4. Lose to the most hated rival

Fun stuff.

Rex

Reaction score
5. Throw beer.

6. Cuss at TV.

7. Drink beer.

8. Sulk online.

9. Hide at work.

10. Repeat.

NINEster

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2obhcqzb said:
Marvin49":2obhcqzb said:
Ramfan128":2obhcqzb said:

If we go to half time up 14-3, we might have held on to win. Of course, that play doesn't even happen if the refs don't call this bogus OPI (scroll down a bit):

When adding up just how bad of a call it was and the impact it had on the game, this was easily the worst call I saw all season. If we go on to score (likely), we probably do win that game.

2. We exacerbate it by giving up an 80 yard TD with less than 20 seconds left....something high school teams probably don't do...

Fun stuff.

Well Ramfan, you kinda got it all back on the Levi Stadium goal line, no?

:th2thumbs:

rideaducati

Reaction score
I don't think Kaepernick was exposed last season. He is the same as he ever was, but his defense and running game weren't there anymore and he isn't good enough to carry a team.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
NINEster":a91fzp1g said:
Ramfan128":a91fzp1g said:
Marvin49":a91fzp1g said:
Ramfan128":a91fzp1g said:

Fun stuff.

Well Ramfan, you kinda got it all back on the Levi Stadium goal line, no?

:th2thumbs:

Not really.

1. I believe he was fumbling before crossing the goal line, but even if you don't, you know you can't drop the ball in that situation. You put the ref in a bad spot, and whatever they call will stand on the field.

2. The 2nd worst call of the year against us was the fumble by Frank Gore that likely would have gotten returned for a TD but was blown dead.

There was the non safety call that went for us in that game, but that one was really close and another one that was going to stand with what was called on the field. Wouldn't have been mad if it had been called a safety.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Ramfan128":2z0hryo2 said:

Perception is a funny thing. Wilson has been sacked 17 times in the last 2 years against the Rams. Our average OL struggles badly against your elite DL. On average, our games against the Rams the last 2 years are way closer than any of our other division rivals.

NINEster

Reaction score
rideaducati":29fttn1o said:
I don't think Kaepernick was exposed last season. He is the same as he ever was, but his defense and running game weren't there anymore and he isn't good enough to carry a team.

This might be right, and if it is, I can assure you he won't be the only one....

NINEster

Reaction score
Ramfan128":p5r5l24l said:
Not really.

1. I believe he was fumbling before crossing the goal line, but even if you don't, you know you can't drop the ball in that situation. You put the ref in a bad spot, and whatever they call will stand on the field.

2. The 2nd worst call of the year against us was the fumble by Frank Gore that likely would have gotten returned for a TD but was blown dead.

There was the non safety call that went for us in that game, but that one was really close and another one that was going to stand with what was called on the field. Wouldn't have been mad if it had been called a safety.

Say what you want, but you weren't gonna sweep the 49ers last year. Take a look at the last couple of seasons, it's not exactly tilted in your favor.

And in case you think you can throw out prior results as having no bearing on future games, look at the 49er/Seahawk rematch last season. It had 55-0 written all over it if you looked at the Thanksgiving game and extrapolated forward to that dominant home field advantage of Century Link.

What happened in that game? It was far better than most would have predicted. And it was dangerously close to being 14-3 49ers at halftime.

You win that first Ram/49er game, I promise you the Niners win at Levis in convincing fashion.

rideaducati

Reaction score
NINEster":15l962o6 said:
rideaducati":15l962o6 said:

This might be right, and if it is, I can assure you he won't be the only one....

You're right, there are other bad QBs that can't carry teams too...and you're wrong in thinking Russell Wilson is one of them.

Rex

Reaction score
NINEster":1fk7o4b6 said:
Ramfan128":1fk7o4b6 said:
Not really.

Say what you want, but you weren't gonna sweep the 49ers last year. Take a look at the last couple of seasons, it's not exactly tilted in your favor.

You win that first Ram/49er game, I promise you the Niners win at Levis in convincing fashion.

Since 2012 the Rams are 2-3-1 against the 49ers while starting backup QBs in half those games. Rams beat the 49ers in SF and 49ers losing in St. Louis had nothing to do with it.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You could also point out that the second game a couple years ago would have had the Rams sweep the 9ers if not for the fastest delay of game whistle the world has ever seen. That official had to be counting down in his head because if he watched the clock hit zero, the ball would have been snapped before his eyes would have gotten back to the field and the field goal would have won it for the Rams and completed the sweep.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
That game was also the tie breaker that gave the 9ers the #2 seed instead of Seattle. If that field goal counts the Seahawks probably have two Lombardi's and three consecutive trips to the bowl.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RichNhansom":52x1tr89 said:
That game was also the tie breaker that gave the 9ers the #2 seed instead of Seattle. If that field goal counts the Seahawks probably have two Lombardi's and three consecutive trips to the bowl.

Not sure how that works considering the Seahawks were eliminated in Atlanta and the Niners won in Atlanta. Why would the game vs. Atlanta change?