NFL Fan Equity Rankings

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Rex":p4lk6olv said:
Despite 2 super bowl trips in two years Seahawks ranked near bottom behind the rest of the NFC West. Definitely flawed since both Green Bay and Cleveland are not in the top 5.

https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/201 ... -rankings/

This study seems to be based almost totally on stadium size, rather than any other conceivable metrics . . . percentage of attendance instead of total revenue, jersey sales, volume of crowd noise, etc. We are almost unrivaled in those categories.

Total ticket revenue is also an extremely poor metric to measure the quality of fan base because the price of a ticket increases when a season-ticket holder offers it for resale. But doing so would not be indicative of the strength of that fan's allegiance to his team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well the author even admits teams like the Hawks who's success is more recent hurts them with the financial longevity statistics they used.

The Seahawks are slowly developing a great fan base. And these teams will do better when we switch to non-financial metrics such as social media following. But for the current “revenue premium” model these teams just don’t price high enough. In a way, these teams with massive season ticket waiting lists are the most supportive of their fans.

Interesting article for sure, as it actually tries to quantify what "best" means.

rideaducati

Reaction score
That seals the deal...I am now a Cowboys fan and you should all consider me among the best fans in the World. I will now make fun of all you shehawk fans for wishing that upon yourselves. :sarcasm_off:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
rideaducati":1qwqaph1 said:
That seals the deal...I am now a Cowboys fan and you should all consider me among the best fans in the World. I will now make fun of all you shehawk fans for wishing that upon yourselves. :sarcasm_off:

But, uhm well ah shit you are right. The article is clear and concise, guess I'm right there with you. Damn now I hate myself. When is the offseason over already?

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Is there another team in the league with a bigger homefield advantage than the 'Hawks? End of discussion.

ringless

Reaction score
Wow the Seahawks near the bottom of the league at 26?

Good to see the Cardinals are far Superior in that regard lol :p

rideaducati

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2wu0vodd said:
Is there another team in the league with a bigger homefield advantage than the 'Hawks? End of discussion.

My Cowboys have a much bigger stadium, so there is your answer. The Cowboys DEFINITELY have a "bigger" home field advantage. :sarcasm_off:

rideaducati

Reaction score
ringless":854mc252 said:

Yeah, the cardinals sell more tickets to invisible people. I've never been around as many invisible people as I was around when I attended a Seahawks vs cards game in Glendale. I actually thought there were 15,000 empty seats, but I was told the game was "sold out".

Maulbert

Reaction score
rideaducati":12zzis1v said:
ringless":12zzis1v said:

Yeah, the cardinals sell more tickets to invisible people. I've never been around as many invisible people as I was around when I attended a Seahawks vs cards game in Glendale. I actually thought there were 15,000 empty seats, but I was told the game was "sold out".

I think the Cards sell out so many games is because the transplanted retirees like to see their favorite team whenever they're in town.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":u5piv051 said:
This study seems to be based almost totally on stadium size

Can't be that. The CLink seats 70K since the expansion (67K before) and Levi's seats 68.5 K.

If it was just stadium size there's no way the 9ers could be #10 and the Hawks #26.

(not saying the measurement they're using is a good one, just that it's not all stadium size).

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1w4v41d8 said:
hawknation2015":1w4v41d8 said:

Can't be that. The CLink seats 70K since the expansion (67K before) and Levi's seats 68.5 K.

If it was just stadium size there's no way the 9ers could be #10 and the Hawks #26.

(not saying the measurement they're using is a good one, just that it's not all stadium size).

According to this, The Levi's Mausoleum averaged 70.8k in attendance in its opening season:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/sort/allPct

The Clink expansion is not relevant because it hasn't happened yet. At max capacity, we averaged 68k last season.

Consequently, stadium size has an outsized influence, with cost of living in the city being another huge irrelevant factor that impacts total ticket revenue but has really nothing to do with the degree of fandom.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Yeah, if you want to include over capacity standing room then Levi's is 70k and the clink is 69k, which still gets us right back to the point I made.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":8j2am79o said:
Yeah, if you want to include over capacity standing room then Levi's is 70k and the clink is 69k, which still gets us right back to the point I made.

The point you made was 100% wrong, as the expansion of Century Clink had not happened as of the date of this study.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3j4fllx2 said:
Popeyejones":3j4fllx2 said:

The point you made was 100% wrong, as the expansion of Century Clink had not happened as of the date of this study.

Ughh, here's a refresher about the point I made and what it was in response to:

Popeyejones":3j4fllx2 said:
hawknation2015":3j4fllx2 said:

Can't be that. If it was just stadium size there's no way the 9ers could be #10 and the Hawks #26.

If you want to use official capacity (for which the CLink is 67K and Levi's is 68.5K) or your preferred measure of actual attendance (for which the Clink is 69K and Levi's is 70K) it doesn't really change anything.

That I thought the Hawks expansion happened last year when instead it's happening this year also doesn't change anything.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1um9d1dz said:
hawknation2015":1um9d1dz said:

Ughh, here's a refresher about the point I made and what it was in response to:

hawknation2015":1um9d1dz said:

Can't be that. If it was just stadium size there's no way the 9ers could be #10 and the Hawks #26.

If you want to use official capacity (for which the CLink is 67K and Levi's is 68.5K) or your preferred measure of actual attendance (for which the Clink is 69K and Levi's is 70K) it doesn't really change anything.

That I thought the Hawks expansion happened last year when instead it's happening this year also doesn't change anything.

Actual attendance is all that matters for these figures, and the expansion is not relevant to this study (have you admitted you were WRONG about that yet?).

The link I provided says average attendance in 2014 was 68.4k for CenturyLink and 70.8k for the Levi's Mausoleum. Now multiply that differential times eight games (~20k tickets), which gives you a fairly substantial difference.

However, if you use the average ticket price on the secondary markets, not just initial total sales directly to the team, the Seahawks have the most expensive tickets in the league -- $38 more per ticket than any other team.

http://blog.tiqiq.com/2014/04/2014-nfl- ... ge-prices/

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2015":369394c7 said:
Actual attendance is all that matters for these figures, and the expansion is not relevant to this study (have you admitted you were WRONG about that yet?).

hawknation2015":369394c7 said:

Yes. You directly quoted it. Stop being so weird.

If the 9ers are ranked #13th in your preferred attendance size measure and the Hawks are ranked 18th it's basically impossible for them to end up #10 and #26 if the study is based almost entirely on stadium size, as you claimed.

My point stands and you're preternaturally incapable of admitting error over even the most trivial thing and it's boring.

Later. :)