Chiefs Sign Justin Houston 6yr/101mil, 52mil gr

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It doesn't . . . they play very different positions and pass rushers are paid a premium in this league.

No ILB makes $10 million a year, so when Wager receives a deal in that range, he will be the highest paid player at his position.

It could have an effect on next year's transition/franchise tags for LBs, but those options were probably already off the table.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":111rvit5 said:
It doesn't . . . they play very different positions and pass rushers are paid a premium in this league.

No ILB makes $10 million a year, so when Wager receives a deal in that range, he will be the highest paid player at his position.

It could have an effect on next year's transition/franchise tags for LBs, but those options were probably already off the table.
I agree. Wagner plays a completely different position. I consider Houston as a pass rusher not a linebacker and was paid accordingly. Obviously the Chiefs agree and know far more than myself.

Now it will matter to Kuechley a lot more but that's not my problem.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
Bennett probably just got even more butt-hurt than he already was.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just b/c they play different positions doesn't mean it's meaningless.

All top tier talent deals move the needle, even if the degree of that needle moving is dependent on position.

Put another way, I think Suh's deal moved the needle up on Houston's deal, even though one is a DT and the other is an OLB.

Just b/c Wagner isn't going to get 16.8 APY because he's a MLB doesn't mean that his boat doesn't ride up a bit with that tide.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3p0cjbm5 said:
Just b/c they play different positions doesn't mean it's meaningless.

All top tier talent deals move the needle, even if the degree of that needle moving is dependent on position.

Put another way, I think Suh's deal moved the needle up on Houston's deal, even though one is a DT and the other is an OLB.

Just b/c Wagner isn't going to get 16.8 APY because he's a MLB doesn't mean that his boat doesn't ride up a bit with that tide.

I agree. Each "mega-deal" out there will increase deals for future superstars at whatever position they play. Especially the rise in guaranteed dollars. We have to guys who are premium players at their position and for every mega-deal signed before they agree to a deal, their cost rises in either total monies or guarantees or both.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Even with this signing, I think the chiefs will have a top 5 draft pick next year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
dutchcoug":npwbhluy said:
Bennett probably just got even more butt-hurt than he already was.

Lol that was my first thought as well.

Followed by "go get yourself 22 sacks, Bennett, then you can whine".

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
rideaducati":20llt8qe said:
Even with this signing, I think the chiefs will have a top 5 draft pick next year.
Well that's a bit over the top. Now something along the lines of 7-9/8-8/9-7, maybe I can take you seriously. Fact is the AFCW might be a huge dogfight if you ask me. Not that I know anything about that division.....right?

Meh, what do I know....I'd ask Tical before you ask me. Girls are ignorant remember?

rideaducati

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":5aqe87bw said:
rideaducati":5aqe87bw said:
Well that's a bit over the top. Now something along the lines of 7-9/8-8/9-7, maybe I can take you seriously. Fact is the AFCW might be a huge dogfight if you ask me. Not that I know anything about that division.....right?

Meh, what do I know....I'd ask Tical before you ask me. Girls are ignorant remember?

Remember? I already know! :sarcasm_off:

I was thinking 8-8, but then I looked at their schedule this year and it looks tougher than it was last year. The Chiefs are schizophrenic. We never know what team we're going to see. They beat both Super Bowl participants, but they lose to the Titans and Raiders. Take all that and add in one Alex Smith working with Jeremy Maclin and there is potential for disaster. Maclin is a deep threat and Alex doesn't throw the ball more than five yards down the field...not a good match. I've never even heard of their other receivers, but that doesn't matter because Alex disregards them after five yards anyway.

Their run game could be great, but with Andy Reid, they're castrated because he doesn't want to run the ball. If Andy would realize who he has at QB, he would run the ball on every down and win their division, but he won't do that so he'll finish in the bottom half of their division. Jamaal Charles had 20 or more carries in only three games and two of those were 20 carry efforts.