Cardinals sign TE Jermaine Gresham

ringless

Reaction score
hawknation2015":ht997yce said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/624718814513659904[/tweet]

I know some of the fans are excited because he was rated as the third best blocking TE last year. However he is injury prone, and apparently fumble prone. Im on the fence about it and I would say our fans are a 50/50 split... Some had some good points. Quotes are from a fan on our forums.

"" Gresham has 2722 yards, 25 TDs over 5 seasons in NFL, actually rates decent as a pass blocker but not run blocker. I'd think we'd be using Niklas for and Fells for run plays anyway. Two of those first 5 NFL years he made the Pro Bowl for Pete's sake. He has never had less than 458 yards or 4 TDs in a season, or less than 14 games.

Compare to the last five years top receiving TEs:

2014 John Carlson 350 yards, 1 TD
2013 Rob Housler 454 yards, 1 TD
2012 Rob Housler 417 yards, 0 TDs
2011 Todd Heap 283 yards, 1 TD
2010 Ben Patrick!! 123 yards, 0 TDs
Total: 1627 yards, 3 TDs over same 5 seasons.""""

He is only 28 so still young, and it is a 1 year deal. I guess he is by far better than what we currently have on the roster however Im by no means excited about it. I don't feel he meshes well with what we are trying to do.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The biggest issue is how long it will take him to get cleared from his back surgery.

Cardinals needed a TE. If he is healthy, that receiving corps just gets more impressive.

ringless

Reaction score
Apparently he passed his physical with Green Bay, he had surgery in March for a herniated disk. Its been 4 months. (never had one myself) But I would have to assume 4 months is a reasonable time...

At the end of the day he is an upgrade for us. I just don't see him being utilized like he was before and catching as much as he was before in our offense. I would have to think he would be utilized more for blocking (allowed 1 pressure on 100 attempts last year) But who knows. Maybe he can help create more of a threat on O.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ringless":1a4hupwp said:
Apparently he passed his physical with Green Bay, he had surgery in March for a herniated disk. Its been 4 months. (never had one myself) But I would have to assume 4 months is a reasonable time...

At the end of the day he is an upgrade for us. I just don't see him being utilized like he was before and catching as much as he was before in our offense. I would have to think he would be utilized more for blocking (allowed 1 pressure on 100 attempts last year) But who knows. Maybe he can help create more of a threat on O.

My opinion on the surgery, 4 months is ok. 2 months without lifting anything over 5 lbs then work back into the normal. I had a bulged disc and had the bulge removed. 6 weeks plus 4 weeks of getting back to normal. I assume that the workout is gonna take about a month after the 6+4. So in my opinion, another 2 weeks and he should be good to go if he did as his doctor recommends.