The grass at Levi's

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I didn't want to derail the NFC West camp thread anymore so I made this thread.

Hey Marvin, what's with the grass field at Levi's????

Didn't they just change the soil base last year, and they still have problems???
I see in the other thread you said they will have to resod the field 7 or 8 times this year?

I don't expect you or anyone else to be a grass/turf expert but what are they saying is the problem?

Is the grass not rooting?

I'm honestly not trying to be a Richard Cranium when I ask the above questions but I'm curious because the Super Bowl is going to be played there in February.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ok reading from the other thread, sounds like too many other events is the reason.
Surprised the NFL hasn't stepped in considering that's where SB 50 will be played this year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1v11gxel said:
Ok reading from the other thread, sounds like too many other events is the reason.
Surprised the NFL hasn't stepped in considering that's where SB 50 will be played this year.

I'm sure there will be a conversation...but my guess is the field will get to root for at LEAST 2 weeks before the SB. Only way it isn't longer than that is if the Niners play a home game in the NFCCG...and I already know what peeps here think the likelihood of that is. :D

As for the 7 or 8 resods...

It was actually fairly normal to resod the field several times at Candlestick. Not THAT many times, but it was fairly normal. Candlestick just didn't have nearly the number of offseason events that Levis does.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":2dxxonug said:
Only way it isn't longer than that is if the Niners play a home game in the NFCCG...and I already know what peeps here think the likelihood of that is. :D
You going to pretend that you're not roughly in agreement with us on that, Marvin?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
From their first day of training camp . . .

THE NOT SO GOOD

1. The grass. I watched the first hour and half of practice from the stands in Levi’s stadium – I wanted to get a view from above the field. I noticed players slipping and falling on the grass during warmups and team drills, but I couldn’t see why. So I walked down to the field for the final 30 minutes of practice and stood on the sideline. That’s when I noticed clumps of grass all over the field. One reporter said it looked like the aftermath of a buffalo stampede.

After practice, a reporter asked head coach Jim Tomsula if he expects to practice in Levi’s stadium tomorrow. “I expect it,” Tomsula said, “but we’ll reserve our right to make decisions as we need to.”

The next seven practices are scheduled to take place in Levi’s Stadium.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/49ers-tr ... ort-day-1/

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":31l293sq said:
Marvin49":31l293sq said:
Only way it isn't longer than that is if the Niners play a home game in the NFCCG...and I already know what peeps here think the likelihood of that is. :D
You going to pretend that you're not roughly in agreement with us on that, Marvin?

Its not impossible, but I'm certainly not counting on it. :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
BTW...speaking of the grass at Levis...

...anyone else notice the new paint scheme in the endzone?

CLbg3P XAAAe1 8

Kinda like it. Also noticed every player on the team in black and red shorts. Seems they are really going for it in terms of using black.

253hawk

Reaction score
I wonder how the fans are going to handle the heat this year when they're sitting in the sun at Levi's with their black jerseys on?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
253hawk":2kit8vj6 said:
I wonder how the fans are going to handle the heat this year when they're sitting in the sun at Levi's with their black jerseys on?
Loose black clothing is actually the best thing to wear in high temperatures, despite popular opinion to the contrary.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":h64nvaa5 said:

CLbg3P XAAAe1 8

Kinda like it. Also noticed every player on the team in black and red shorts. Seems they are really going for it in terms of using black.

I'm sensing a funeral joke coming...

hawknation2015

Reaction score
rideaducati":34l6zlda said:
Marvin49":34l6zlda said:

CLbg3P XAAAe1 8

I'm sensing a funeral joke coming...

Black is very appropriate to wear when attending a funeral. The death of Whiner respectability at the Levi's Mausoleum. How apropos.

Fade

Reaction score
Marvin49":31etozj3 said:

CLbg3P XAAAe1 8

The black symbolizes the DARK DECADE* of football Niner fans are set to endure.

*may be longer than a decade.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
After practice, a reporter asked head coach Jim Tomsula if he expects to practice in Levi’s stadium tomorrow. “I expect it,” Tomsula said, “but we’ll reserve our right to make decisions as we need to.”

What a tool. This guy speaks in a manner that he believes is authoritative. It is completely phony though.

I'm not going to say that, but I wouldn't say that either.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^If you care you should actually listen to one of his press conferences in the past few days, b/c that characterization totally misses the mark on the guy. All the 9ers beat reporters are gushing over how much of a breath of fresh air he is to interview after Harbaugh (while also always giving the caveat that this doesn't mean crap about his performance as a coach).

OTHER STUFF:

*I definitely LOLd at the rooting joke. Well done. :lol:

*The turf is in shambles along the sideline, not all over the field like Cohn says, or in the middle of the field.

*There have been a lot of events (practice on Fri immediately followed a HS football game on the field), but I think this is BS (particularly given where on the field the grass is coming up). TBH right now I don't think anyone really knows what's going on. From a clip I watched of someone trying to stomp in a divet along the sideline though, the field looked mushy as hell. Whatever it is, it's definitely a problem and needs to be fixed.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2fz85f2u said:
^^^^If you care you should actually listen to one of his press conferences in the past few days, b/c that characterization totally misses the mark on the guy. All the 9ers beat reporters are gushing over how much of a breath of fresh air he is to interview after Harbaugh (while also always giving the caveat that this doesn't mean crap about his performance as a coach).

OTHER STUFF:

*I definitely LOLd at the rooting joke. Well done. :lol:

*The turf is in shambles along the sideline, not all over the field like Cohn says, or in the middle of the field.

*There have been a lot of events (practice on Fri immediately followed a HS football game on the field), but I think this is BS (particularly given where on the field the grass is coming up). TBH right now I don't think anyone really knows what's going on. From a clip I watched of someone trying to stomp in a divet along the sideline though, the field looked mushy as hell. Whatever it is, it's definitely a problem and needs to be fixed.

Harbaughs interviews were horrible. You just tried to convince me that pig shit is better than cow shit. I normally don't care to chime in on matters as trivial as this, but I didn't sleep well, and the remark by Tomsula was very petulant.