Chip Kelly at it again~

Fade

Reaction score
This sucks, I believe the Chip Kelly program can work at the NFL level, but he needs a GM that he can partner with for it to work (Like PCJS).

Instead Kelly is drunk with power and in over his head. I will be shocked if he isn't back in College in less than 24 months.

*edit* maybe finds a way to Tennessee to coach Mariota.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Looks like he wasn't going to re-sign and Kelly opted to get a pick for him over having him for a single year. We did the same thing with Josh Wilson when PC and JS first arrived.

ivotuk

Reaction score
ringless":3od86zw7 said:
Boykin is basically calling him racist without calling him a racist.... When so many people start to say it. You have to wonder where there's smoke theres fire!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ly-remarks

Soour grapes. And they go for the easy target, one that's been voiced so that they can sound more legitimate. "The same thing happened to me."

Just because Chip Kelly doesn't talk about his family and home life with players outside of a football environment doesn't mean he's racist. It could just mean that he's a private person that doesn't talk about his family or life outside of football.

For all we know he could be playing footsies with Rex Ryan in the off season. :p

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Chip Kelly is a racist. That's why he signed the white Byron Maxwell and white DeMarco Murry, right?

Maulbert

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":13tn0loa said:
Looks like he wasn't going to re-sign and Kelly opted to get a pick for him over having him for a single year. We did the same thing with Josh Wilson when PC and JS first arrived.

I think Wilson's height played into that deal. Dude was 5' 9". Carroll always wanted big corners.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Maulbert":35d6qlfv said:
BirdsCommaAngry":35d6qlfv said:

I think Wilson's height played into that deal. Dude was 5' 9". Carroll always wanted big corners.

Chip Kelly also wants tall corners. The three expected to be starting (assuming they play a lot of nickel) are Byron Maxwell, Nolan Carroll, and Eric Rowe---all 6'1". Brandon Boykin is 5'9".

Same exact situation. They weren't crazy about his size and they weren't going to give him a Chris Harris like contract next year---get something while you can for him.

Also, saying Boykin was the best corner on the Eagles last year is like saying he was the prettiest turd in the toilet.

Maulbert

Reaction score
xkj1985x":31h3mcn8 said:
Maulbert":31h3mcn8 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":31h3mcn8 said:

Chip Kelly also wants tall corners. The three expected to be starting (assuming they play a lot of nickel) are Byron Maxwell, Nolan Carroll, and Eric Rowe---all 6'1". Brandon Boykin is 5'9".

Same exact situation. They weren't crazy about his size and they weren't going to give him a Chris Harris like contract next year---get something while you can for him.

Also, saying Boykin was the best corner on the Eagles last year is like saying he was the prettiest turd in the toilet.

I'm not arguing that, I'd heard the same about Boykin. I was just saying contract wasn't the only factor in the Wilson trade.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
It's probably the biggest factor though, Maulbert. I imagine PC always wanted a tall QB but is happy nonetheless with the opportunity afforded to our franchise by RW not making it far up many draft boards due to his height. Regardless, there seems to be something larger at work here.

The trend I notice when it comes to fans like us is we attempt to both understand and simplify what it is our team is doing both to appear as a proper fan and to use what we learn to stand out in wherever it is we discuss sports. As a result of doing this during the reign of such a capable FO and coaching staff, we become privy to some increasingly enhanced ways of looking at the game as information circulates attempting to explain in greater detail what we want to better understand, like with what's happened with DVOA, SPARQ ratings, toxic differential, and so much else.

In the first half of the 2012 season, DVOA was measuring us as one of the better teams despite our W/L record suggesting something less favorable. Now DVOA is becoming a staple for simple and unbiased differentiating of pretenders and contenders from one another. When attempting to understand why a player like Sweezy can be scooped up late in a draft and find success at a position he hasn't played since high school, we become aware of the his awesome SPARQ rating and the potential that yields with successful coaching. Now SPARQ ratings are becoming a staple for simple and unbiased pinpointing of why we chose player A over player B (particularly in the later rounds where information is so much more scarce).

So if what we're after is a sort of rule of thumb to help us be (or at least seem) more knowledgeable, what should we take away from what PC and JS did with Josh Wilson and what Kelly has done with Boykins (at least for those who aren't convinced he's insane for trading for Bradford)? For me, it's if we have a player who currently ranges from mediocre to somewhat decent in the final year of his contract and he isn't in our team's future plans for whatever reason and another team is willing to give a 5th rounder for him, we should probably take it.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Maulbert":1hs7hhng said:
xkj1985x":1hs7hhng said:
Maulbert":1hs7hhng said:
BirdsCommaAngry":1hs7hhng said:

I'm not arguing that, I'd heard the same about Boykin. I was just saying contract wasn't the only factor in the Wilson trade.

Gotcha. Sorry if that came off as snappy, didn't mean for it to.

But it really seems like Philly is trying to build the same style of defense as Seattle, in terms of bigger guys with length. With the trade of Boykin, the secondary is now completely void of anything Andy Reid did and it is now 100% Chip Kelly players.

They do have three secondary players at 5'11" but one (Walter Thurmond III) is rumored as playing safety opposite of Malcolm Jenkins. It was clear from Year 1 of Chip Kelly that he just was not all that high on Boykin and had no future here once it came time to give him a decent contract.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Nelson Agholor is making Chip look right so far. Don't pay the big money WR, and just draft the same type of guy for a lot less money.

The problem with these guys crying about Chip, is they don't think they are replaceable and they have been coddled their entire lives, because they had talent. Chip said I don't need you, I'll find someone to buy in and be just as good.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm happy for Nelson. Such a great kid and a seriously smart, hard-working guy. I think he will do very well in Philly.