Jack Del Rio accelerates a rebuild

hawknation2015

Reaction score
The Raiders have been in a time warp. Del Rio's first year of coaching for the Jaguars was the first year of a 13-year playoff drought for the Silver and Black. It took Del Rio three years to get the Jaguars to the playoffs. What's nice for him is the Raiders are developing a young core of players from the 2014 and 2015 drafts.

While outsiders believe the Raiders need one or two more good drafts to think playoffs, Del Rio came to Oakland with a win-now approach.

"We are in the one-draft approach until proven otherwise," Del Rio said. "We're not in this thing to be patient. You know there is no reason why we can't put in the work and expect to win now."

To his credit, Del Rio came to the Raiders with fresh eyes and a best-man-starts mentality. Cornerback D.J. Hayden was the 12th player selected in the 2013 draft. That hasn't stopped Del Rio from putting two 2014 draft choices ahead of him in fourth-rounder Keith McGill and seventh-rounder Travis Carrie. The Raiders are paying guard Austin Howard $6 million a year. That didn't stop Del Rio from starting J'Marcus Webb, who is making minimum salary, ahead of him.

The Raiders could end up starting seven draft choices from 2014 and 2015 along with nine veteran free agents picked up over the past two years. If this two-year turnaround works, it will be the model of how to reconstruct a team at the bottom of the league.

Training camp practices now have music. The vibe is good. It took two years for Del Rio to build a playoff team around Byron Leftwich, whom the Jaguars drafted in 2003. The pace might be quicker building around Derek Carr, who has one season of experience behind him.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13408 ... aiders-nfl

RedAlice

Reaction score
Nice. I look forward to seeing the Raiders begin their journey back to form. Hope they have a great year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Almost sounds like they are copying the rebuild Seattle had. Just an opinion.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":25ac4nj4 said:
Almost sounds like they are copying the rebuild Seattle had. Just an opinion.

If they are, and it works: Go Raiders! Copy your little hearts away and tweak as needed to improve. !!!!

Where I grew up (AZ) you were either a Rams or a Raider fan. And that was true long after the Cards got there. Though I am an emotional tied to the team Rams fan, I would pick Raiders over many other teams forever just from membering them and fighting about them so much. IF the Rams stay in STL, and Chargers / Raiders move to LA - I'd prefer Raiders over Chargers at that point. Also, Cuz Spanos is a weak little weasel.

Just to be clear: I mean other teams I like. Rams are not replaceable, no matter the city. I'm a true Rams fan.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
RedAlice,
Growing up, we did not have a team per se. So I was a fan of the game more than anything else. I axed my mom(yes that was a misspell for Ro) what team she would like...and she said Dallas. I did not understand at the time the media frenzy for that kind of thing. I do now...ugh. A friend was a Ram fan. Another was a browns fan...kinda like the dawgee howse meself. Then in High School we got our team....and for ever I am a Fan of SEahawks. There were Raiduhs fans too....but I was not too much into the black and silver scheme. I liked flashy colors. That was when I was even able to watch a game... But that is a different story for a different time. A few friends here are still devout Niner fans. I appreciate their wisdom on their team at this time...

Oh and your point on the Cardies being good...I agree. We Need that for us as a division to be strong. Peace lady.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":8sizvzdz said:
RedAlice,
Growing up, we did not have a team per se. So I was a fan of the game more than anything else. I axed my mom(yes that was a misspell for Ro) what team she would like...and she said Dallas. I did not understand at the time the media frenzy for that kind of thing. I do now...ugh. A friend was a Ram fan. Another was a browns fan...kinda like the dawgee howse meself. Then in High School we got our team....and for ever I am a Fan of SEahawks. There were Raiduhs fans too....but I was not too much into the black and silver scheme. I liked flashy colors. That was when I was even able to watch a game... But that is a different story for a different time. A few friends here are still devout Niner fans. I appreciate their wisdom on their team at this time...

Oh and your point on the Cardies being good...I agree. We Need that for us as a division to be strong. Peace lady.

Love the sharing SHF80. Nice....it's cool to hear the way we all became where we are now. It's also kinda fun to talk about those days before.....dang, the arguing we did in highschool about rams v raiders! Wish I had some video of that.

I expect that anyone who takes the time to post on a team's message board, has deep feelings for their team and the NFL...so, thanks for sharing. You made me smile.

At one of the bars I used to go to during 2011 (our 2-14 year) I watched the games w a Browns fan who was friends of one of my friends. We became buddies cuz we watched the games together every week and our two teams sucked. Then we played each other. Rams deserved to lose that game and it was one of their only two wins. I will member forever, me and him - sitting at our little screen in the corner of an adorable little dive bar by the beach in San Diego - buying each other shots. Refusing to agree that the other person's team was worse than our own.

smile.

Good days.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well if the Raiders are coming up, good that gives people on the wrong side of the bay a place to go for ten years anyway. Sadly the way the 49ers have went and their new stadium design for the Silicon Valley types while pricing out the 99 percent I think a surge in Raider gear is about to hit the Bay Area.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Good point Chris. Maybe that is also a reason Davis refuses to share their stadium.

Politics and reality of life are not always so far removed from how we all choose to spend our time.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I thought Keith McGill looked like a solid prospect last year and played great against us in the preseason. I was shocked he didn't play more for the Raiders last year. Good to see he is now in line for a starting role. Competition is a beautiful thing.

I have noticed quite a few similarities between Carroll and Del Rio. Both are former DCs who are generally well liked by their players and have coached a lot of very successful defenses. Del Rio has coached a Top 6 defense (in terms of total yards allowed) ten times in his career. Both like to run the ball, although Del Rio prefers a power scheme.

They were both fired from their first head coaching jobs after being .500 or worse. Del Rio coached Jacksonville to 11-5 and 12-4 seasons. Since they fired Del Rio, Jacksonville has not won five games. It's not looking good for them this year either. Jacksonville is probably the hardest place in the league to win.

Then there is the USC connection. Del Rio was an All-American LB at USC, while Carroll was a National Champion-winning coach there. Carl Smith, who coached QBs under Carroll with the Patriots, at USC, and now currently with the Seahawks, also served as Del Rio's offensive coordinator from 2005-2007, when Jacksonville's offense was its most potent.

So there are a lot of obvious similarities and some key differences. Del Rio brought in Ken Norton, Jr. to serve as his defensive coordinator, and the mood of their practices has been upbeat in the Carroll style. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for these changes to pay off for them. Their schedule this year does not look too favorable.