Toughest Division in NFL......

pmedic920

Reaction score
IMO, for the last few seasons it's been the NFCW.

With what seems to be an obvious decline by the 49ers, I'm not sure who should be called the Toughest, now.

Do you agree that the NFCW has been the toughest?

Do you think that the NFCW has been but no longer is?

What division would you put in that spot?
And why?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Still the toughest, although not as tough as 2 years ago. The main reason I think it's still the toughest is mostly because I can't think of a division that I believe could even begin to try to be definitively better.

chris98251

Reaction score
If the Rams surge and the Cards maintain then it could be ONE of the toughest, the other divisions have been watching and getting better, NFC North, NFC South made changes and look better, more balanced division.

Barakas

Reaction score
How can we be one of the toughest divisions in the NFL with only three viable teams?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Every team in the NFC West has great talent. Yes, even the 49ers still have remnants of great talent. The biggest problem for the Whiners is the precipitous drop-off in their coaching, not just from Harbaugh to Tomfoola, but also from Fangio to Mangina.

Rex

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1dduaqep said:

Just like Brendan.

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa46VpV02ZM[/youtube]

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I'd have to say with the (potential) decline of the 8-8 Niners, the Rams being, well, the Rams, and the Cardinals being mildly successful when they Palmer is healthy, I think the West has lost it's edge. It's definitely up there but I think there's a strong case to be made for the AFC North. Bengals (not the bumbling postseason version), Steelers, and Ravens are always competing for the top spot in the division. I'm extremely excited to see how the Hawks match up against those teams this year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
AFC North will be a very tough division again. The AFC East could be interesting if Buffalo and Miami live up to the preseason hype. The NFC North may be a really good division if Minnesota makes the leap and Detroit continues to play well.

My money would be on the AFCN.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I think after last year it's still the West.

But it'll be up to the Rams...if we don't ascend and get over .500, then it won't be the West any longer.

The AFC North benefitted from playing the two weakest divisions in the NFL last year...the AFC South and NFC South.

Of those 8 teams, only two finished above .500....and one of them didn't have a QB (Texans).

On paper the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all look good...but I wouldn't say they're better than us. We'll see this year. From last years finishes:

Steelers vs. Seahawks - Hawks

Cards vs. Ravens - even if fully healthy, the Ravens win that

Niners vs. Bengals - Bengals

Rams vs. Browns - Rams

That looks pretty even, but I'd still take the West.

ClutchDJ

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3qpm4d7x said:
I think after last year it's still the West.

But it'll be up to the Rams...if we don't ascend and get over .500, then it won't be the West any longer.

The AFC North benefitted from playing the two weakest divisions in the NFL last year...the AFC South and NFC South.

Of those 8 teams, only two finished above .500....and one of them didn't have a QB (Texans).

On paper the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals all look good...but I wouldn't say they're better than us. We'll see this year. From last years finishes:

Steelers vs. Seahawks - Hawks

Cards vs. Ravens - even if fully healthy, the Ravens win that

Niners vs. Bengals - Bengals

Rams vs. Browns - Rams

That looks pretty even, but I'd still take the West.

If I had to say from best to least for this upcoming season, then it would be: Seahawks > Steelers > Cardinals = Ravens > Bengals > Rams > 49ers > Browns.

Full health, I'm having a hard time choosing between Cards & Ravens, but that's how I see it.

ringless

Reaction score
I still think its the NFCW

It has been proven that defenses win championships and there are some great defenses in this division.

You have the Seahawks who have one of the best all time defenses.

The rams have the nastiest D-line in football including backups. I know we like to make jokes about our division foes no matter who you root for but I do think this team will finally be better than the teams of past.

The Cardinals are a team that can and should win 10 games this year. With a Very talented WR corps, an above average QB and o-line combined with what should be a healthier Defense than last year.

The 49ers lost a lot of talent, but they still do field a talented roster. They could also be an 8-8 team.

I honestly believe this whole division could end up not having one team with a below .500 record and thats pretty strong considering it also has the Super Bowl Runner up in it.

kearly

Reaction score
Last year the Seahawks and 49ers were the only NFC West teams to post a positive DVOA, and since then the 49ers imploded. Even when Palmer was healthy, Arizona's DVOA was right around 0.

I think the 49ers are probably a 5-6 win team, and the Cardinals and Rams will probably sit in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. And because Seattle plays 6 bye week teams and most of their toughest opponents on the road, I think 10-6 or 11-5 is very much in play. Seattle has a higher ceiling and lower floor this year. Very hard to predict their season.

In terms of wins or DVOA, I'd guess that the AFC West and AFC North leapfrog the NFC West this year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
I think the NFC West is going to be more like the AFC South this year. Seahawks and Colts at least three games up on the second place team and only one team from the division making the playoffs.

The toughest division is going to be the NFC North. Green Bay is gonna have a tougher road than they've had in a while.

ringless

Reaction score
kearly":1moily3u said:
Last year the Seahawks and 49ers were the only NFC West teams to post a positive DVOA, and since then the 49ers imploded. Even when Palmer was healthy, Arizona's DVOA was right around 0.

I think the 49ers are probably a 5-6 win team, and the Cardinals and Rams will probably sit in the 7-9 to 9-7 range. And because Seattle plays 6 bye week teams and most of their toughest opponents on the road, I think 10-6 or 11-5 is very much in play. Seattle has a higher ceiling and lower floor this year. Very hard to predict their season.

In terms of wins or DVOA, I'd guess that the AFC West and AFC North leapfrog the NFC West this year.

DVOA is defintely a helpful tool. But does it take into account a 4th String QB and RB? That 4 starting linebackers were all out?

With Palmer we had over +50 pts without him it was -40.... I know people like to say the DVOA was the same with and without him but if you look at it for what it was Palmer was a top 10 QB last year. Stanton/Thomas/Lindley couldn't even get first downs. Our starting defense was down to around 4-5 starters at the end of the year. While its a great tool, it doesnt give a complete picture.

ptisme

Reaction score
NFC North... Three potential playoff teams....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ptisme":w8uhqhma said:

I hope you mean the Vikings as the 3rd, cause the Bears will be lucky to win 5 games.

I put the NFC North in the same category as the NFC East ..........two good teams, and MAYBE a team that sneaks up and wins 8-9 games challenging for a Wildcard at the end.

Still though, AFC North is the best on paper. Steelers, Ravens and Bengals are all solid pre-season playoff caliber teams. No other division can say that.

ptisme

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2stqyj0o said:
ptisme":2stqyj0o said:

I hope you mean the Vikings as the 3rd, cause the Bears will be lucky to win 5 games.

I put the NFC North in the same category as the NFC East ..........two good teams, and MAYBE a team that sneaks up and wins 8-9 games challenging for a Wildcard at the end.

Still though, AFC North is the best on paper. Steelers, Ravens and Bengals are all solid pre-season playoff caliber teams. No other division can say that.
You have a great point about the AFC North. I'm perhaps a bit closer to the Vikings (as a Packers fan) and I really think they are going to be tough. They have a rising defense. The offense led by AP and Teddy B and coached well by Norv Turner has a chance to be very good.

Threedee

Reaction score
I expect SEA/STL/AZ will feast on SC this year, which should guarantee us all good numbers.

:sarcasm_on: Best division is obviously the NFC South!!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
pmedic920":336ipjcb said:
IMO, for the last few seasons it's been the NFCW.

With what seems to be an obvious decline by the 49ers, I'm not sure who should be called the Toughest, now.

Do you agree that the NFCW has been the toughest?

Do you think that the NFCW has been but no longer is?

What division would you put in that spot?
And why?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. AFCN no question. It has three playoff level teams versus our two and even a bad Cleveland team is good enough to shock elite teams if they get up for it.